Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 6 Ws
I have about 8 species to go to have caught all the gamefish species in Utah. With the Grand Slam Challenge going on it's got me thinking about going after some of those. My best shot for many of them is in northern Utah and I could use some help in getting them. The 6 Ws are: walleye, wiper, Willard, whitefish, Weber and white crappie (not in the north but I would like to try for them too). Keep me in mind if you feel like helping a fellow questor in piscatorial pursuits. I have a boat now so I could bring it to Willard or I would be happy to go along with someone who has a spot open in their's. I would be happy to pay for expenses. Thanks for your consideration.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Weber between Rockport and Echo is my whitefish spot. Its artifical lure only with a number of sportsman access in private ground. Lots of Browns too. I fish small nymphs on a dropper with an attractor fly above.

I normally go in the late fall when people are off hunting  and the flows are lower but you can get them all year.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Im by far the least of being an expert on streams and such so please take this with a grain of salt, but with water year we've had I would think to hit the streams earlier cause of flow. I may be totally wrong so excuse my ignorance I don't fish those streams and rivers so I don't know what kind of flow they produce.
Craig you're coming up on the best time of year to nail your Wacky Willard Wipers and Walleyes... Even an amateur like me has been known to catch them in May, so get ready to knock those two off your list... When we see them starting to bite regularly, let's take a trip down and catch a few... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Jeff (SkunkedAgain) must be WAY ahead of me on walleye, but I fully agree about the wipers. About now is the time of yea I get them, if I'm going to get any that year. Late April into May, but I've caught them even earlier.

I'm looking for an outing to take, and I'm off tomorrow. Or, PM me and I'll tell you what little I know.
(04-20-2021, 08:42 AM)Mooseman75 Wrote: Im by far the least of being an expert on streams and such so please take this with a grain of salt, but with water year we've had I would think to hit the streams earlier cause of flow. I may be totally wrong so excuse my ignorance I don't fish those streams and rivers so I don't know what kind of flow they produce.

Ya, I get your comments. Hard to guess stream flow this year except to say plan on less. I looked at the middle Weber this afternoon. It look perfect to go chase dome browns and whites. The lower through my home town of Henefer, pretty Sad.

(04-20-2021, 01:46 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Craig you're coming up on the best time of year to nail your Wacky Willard Wipers and Walleyes... Even an amateur like me has been known to catch them in May, so get ready to knock those two off your list... When we see them starting to bite regularly, let's take a trip down and catch a few... Later Jeff

I think Cookie and I are going to swing in Thur morning and bonk some on the head with sinkers
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
catchinon Wrote:My best shot for many of them is in northern Utah and I could use some help in getting them.

Is your best shot simply because you live up there?

Powell is red hot for walleye right now.  If you are in search of walleye, I would HIGHLY recommend considering a trip to Bullfrog to go after walleye. 

Now, wipers......again, location will drive this -- but if you think willard is the best place to catch wipers in Utah, then you are missing great options.  We've had so many 10lb+ wipers in the last couple weeks from Minersville and New Castle that I had to start using my toes to keep track.

I get it if the distance is the limiting factor -- but, again, I'd HIGHLY recommend taking a drive and trying some places not named Willard.

Moderator note - changed a word due to fit our rules.
(04-22-2021, 01:36 PM)PBH Wrote:
catchinon Wrote:My best shot for many of them is in northern Utah and I could use some help in getting them.

Is your best shot simply because you live up there?

Powell is red hot for walleye right now.  If you are in search of walleye, I would HIGHLY recommend considering a trip to Bullfrog to go after walleye. 

Now, wipers......again, location will drive this -- but if you think willard is the best place to catch wipers in Utah, then you are missing other great opportunities.  We've had so many 10lb+ wipers in the last couple weeks from Minersville and New Castle that I had to start using my toes to keep track.

I get it if the distance is the limiting factor -- but, again, I'd HIGHLY recommend taking a drive and trying some places not named Willard.

I already replied to this on the Premium Board. But for the enlightenment of others who don't go there let me explain. Yes, proximity was a consideration. No, I have other options but none of them starts with a W. Besides, I know there are some friendly folks up there who might find it nice to help me out. Thanks for the recommendations. I don't think that I want to make my first boat trip to anywhere outside my home range, although I would feel a lot more comfortable if I had someone with experience to go along with.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.