Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not ice off at Soldier Creek
For me ice off means it is a long cast to get the bait or lure on to the edge of the ice. When you start to reel it back it just drops off the edge. With that definition there are not many places on Soldier Creek where ice off fishing is available. There are a few coves or small stretches of shore line that have open water. Mostly on the west side. There is open water with ice that you can cast onto at the ramp next to the dam but other than the pool next to hwy 40 there isn't a lot of open water. I watched 4 guys fish the ramp today and no one caught anything in the 30 minutes I was there.
Chicken Cr. East and West had castable size open water and of course the ladders were open. Bryants Fork area had some open water. Not much at the Strawberry tunnel.
Another week I think.[Image: Soldier-Creek-dam.jpg]
(04-23-2021, 02:09 AM)klam Wrote: For me ice off means it is a long cast to get the bait or lure on to the edge of the ice. When you start to reel it back it just drops off the edge. With that definition there are not many places on Soldier Creek where ice off fishing is available. There are a few coves or small stretches of shore line that have open water. Mostly on the west side. There is open water with ice that you can cast onto at the ramp next to the dam but other than the pool next to hwy 40 there isn't a lot of open water. I watched 4 guys fish the ramp today and no one caught anything in the 30 minutes I was there.
Chicken Cr. East and West had castable size open water and of course the ladders were open. Bryants Fork area had some open water. Not much at the Strawberry tunnel.
Another week I think.
Thanks for the update, doesn't sound like it will be long now.
How long is the window for ice off from the shore at Strawberry? Would like to try it but might be two weeks before we can get out.
(04-26-2021, 01:53 AM)Royal_Coachman Wrote: How long is the window for ice off from the shore at Strawberry? Would like to try it but might be two weeks before we can get out.

Welcome to BFT and thanks for posting.  It only lasts a few days.  In two weeks ice off will only be a memory.
I drove up on Saturday. There were people fishing ice off at the Aspen Grove (SC) marina, along highway 40 (also SC side), at the main SC marina, off the road by the cabins (SC), at the Ladders, Chicken Creek both east and west. On the Strawberry side, the ice was solid at the main Strawberry marina but there were people fishing at mosquito bay just north of Loop F campground, and at horse creek. There was a red tent on the ice at Mudd Creek. Catching seemed to be best at mosquito bay. The storm today and tomorrow may slow things or may speed it up, but I would say some "ice off" fishing is right now. With the solid ice at the main Strawberry marina and the red tent on Mudd Creek, it might take a few days, but I wouldn't wait very long or as Kent said it will be a memory.
Thanks! I’ve been reading posts for about a year and figured i should start contributing and asking questions. Is there a best time of day for ice or off? Might try to get out early tomorrow and give it a shot.
(04-29-2021, 04:39 PM)Royal_Coachman Wrote: Thanks! I’ve been reading posts for about a year and figured i should start contributing and asking questions. Is there a best time of day for ice or off? Might try to get out early tomorrow and give it a shot.

Glad to see ya adding to our group. I know its sounds cliche but the golden hours around sunrise are hard to beat on ice off, but they do seem to stay active longer at this time - likey feeling the winter hunger pains and looking to fill the gullet back up.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew