Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer creek walleye fishing?
All funny comments aside this is a huge loss to sportsman
Here is another thing that kills me, why limit fishermen to start at 6AM in the summer?? Why not install barcode readers on the gates so that all you do is scan the barcode on your pass and you can get in. It records the time and who you are and you can get an extra 1-2 hours fishing before the power squadron forces you off the lake. I have made this suggestion to the Parks people several times in the past, but have never gotten a response from them. We have to put up with having ski boats throw wakes on us while fishing, jet ski's buzzing us, and all kinds of crap, and they never throw us a bone. By the time you get in the park and launched, you lose at least 30-45 minutes fishing time. Let us in at 5AM so we can get that extra hour in before getting run off the water at 10AM.
I couldn’t agree more, With today’s technology that would be a breeze.
^ I agree with the idea in principle. You know as well as I do the minute those scanners go in, a price for "premium hours" will be added if you want to use the feature. (Which honestly. I would pay for...)
If the State wants to play this game they need to go every other day wakeless.

I am a jokester at heart but I agree this is a serious infringement on our right to use public property.
My blood is boiling right now over this issue.
How can a so called ‘manager’ over a public body of water be so out of touch to not realize fishing at night is not a thing?
Any bozo, including myself, could drive by DC after 10 pm and realize there are boats with anglers out there?
Did he/she think they were UFO’s (Unidentified Floating Objects)? See what I did there, I made a joke.
Is that mis-management or lack-of-management......
Let’s get 100 of us boaters out there one of these warm June nights together and let’s stay out past 10 pm.
It will be our way to protest, minus spilling red paint all over the streets of Salt Lake.
Better stop this rule now before it makes it to UL or Willard, and then no ice fishing after 10 pm.
Anybody else’s blood boiling also?
Just to clarify, has the original poster of this thread ever heard back from the ranger or had any info for certain? Seems like a lot of heartbreak for nothing if we havent got a certain answer yet.
(04-29-2021, 07:57 PM)MrShane Wrote: Let’s get 100 of us boaters out there one of these warm June nights together and let’s stay out past 10 pm.
It will be our way to protest.

Count me in.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
I’m the original poster, the rule is in effect. I agree with a June protest. Pick a night, I’ll be there.
If you see my other post, there some info as well. As of 2020, Deer Creek state park has implemented a new rule about all water craft having to be off the water by 10:00pm, eliminating all night fishing opportunities. This is a huge loss of access for fisherman. If you have an opinion about this please  give the state park manager a call.
Deer Creek State Park Manager:
Bruce Strom
435-703-0589
(04-28-2021, 02:41 PM)Therapist Wrote: Similar to what happened at Pinview this past winter and the closing of the parking at the state park.
Pineview is a Federal recreation area, NOT a state park.  I would like to know who gave the Deer Creek State Park manager the authority to make that rule.   Angry

Oops! Now I know where the authority came from - the @*&^%$* non-elected (*&*^%$ Parks Board.  The protest shouldn't be on the lake, it should be at the next Parks Board meeting.  It would be interesting to know how many of those Park Board members actually own, and regularly use, a fishing boat. 
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I'd like to support this cause.

This is not a new thing. Pretty sure all the state parks close at 10PM. It really is an enforcement issue. The officer on duty doesn't have to write ticket but sounds like they might.
Selective Harvest!
If anyone finds out when the board meeting is I would like the be there to comment
Bob,
How in the heck am I supposed to catch a fish, while protesting, if it is not held on the lake?
I like to multi-task!!
(04-30-2021, 09:19 PM)MrShane Wrote: Bob,
How in the heck am I supposed to catch a fish, while protesting, if it is not held on the lake?
I like to multi-task!!
Sorry Shane; my bad.  Freeze the whole fish you catch at the on-lake protest and then thaw them out and leave in the sun for a couple of days before the Board meeting and then lay them out on the Board table at the protest at the meeting.  You know - just to let them know how serious this issue is and what we are not being allowed to catch from OUR state park.
Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(04-30-2021, 04:06 PM)scartinez Wrote: This is not a new thing. Pretty sure all the state parks close at 10PM.
You are correct - the parks do close at 10:00 PM.  What is new at Deer Creek State Park (and only at Deer Creek) is you can't be on the lake in a vessel after 10:00 PM.  That isn't the case (YET) at any other park that I'm aware of, but it will only be a matter of time before managers at other heavily used parks decide to do this.  This is bovine excrement of the highest odor and needs to be challenged with gusto.  As can be seen from the quote below, the next 'meeting' is scheduled for May 20, 2021.  I have no idea if this will be an open meeting or a virtual meeting.
https://www.utah.gov/pmn/files/685797.pdf Wrote:ADMINISTRATIVE PROPOSAL AND 2021 SCHEDULE ADOPTION Amber Stubbings, Administrative Assistant to Jeff Rasmussen, and secretariat of the Board, proposed open dates for the 2021 Board of State Parks meeting schedule. The Board voted to approve a schedule, withholding a date for November until some conflicts can be negotiated. COREY CRAM MOVED TO APPROVE THE DATES FOR THE 2021 BOARD SCHEDULE AS FOLLOWS: FEBRUARY 18, 2021; MAY 20, 2021; AUGUST 19, 2021. LESHA COLTHARP SECONDED THE MOTION AND IT CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY. 
Also, here is a list of the current board members should you be so inclined to send a tactfully (civil) written protest to the Deer Creek restrictions to night fishing.  I read through all of the Board minutes back to Nov 2019 and could not find a reference to this approved restriction and I was unable to find the earlier 2019 minutes or any of the minutes for 2018, so I have no idea when this was approved or from whom the request came from.  Here is the list of board members and their email addresses (the addresses are published on their website):
https://stateparks.utah.gov/resources/bo...ecreation/ Wrote:Board Members:
[b]Bob Murri, Chair[/b]
Davis, Weber, and Morgan counties
rmurri@msn.com

[b]Brent Boswell[/b]
Wasatch, Utah, Juab, and Millard counties
brentb@juabcounty.gov

[b]Doug Thompson
[/b]Box Elder, Cache, and Rich counties
dougt76@me.com

[b]Corey Cram[/b]
Beaver, Iron, and Washington counties
corey@wcwcd.org

[b]Russ Steadman[/b]
Salt Lake, Toole, and Summit counties
russ@steadmans.net

[b]Lesha Coltharp[/b]
Uintah, Daggett, and Duchesne counties
lcoltharp@uintah.utah.gov

[b]Claudia Jarrett[/b]
State At-Large
cjarrett02@gmail.com

[b]Kevin Christensen[/b]
Sanpete, Sevier, Piute, Wayne, Garfield, and Kane counties
kevin@sanpete.com

[b]Natalie Randall[/b]
Emery, Carbon, Grand, and San Juan counties
natalie@utahtourism.org
Since Deer Creek SP is in Wasatch County, at the very least you should send your comments to Brent Boswell.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(04-30-2021, 02:11 PM)parryconner Wrote: If you see my other post, there some info as well. As of 2020, Deer Creek state park has implemented a new rule about all water craft having to be off the water by 10:00pm, eliminating all night fishing opportunities. This is a huge loss of access for fisherman. If you have an opinion about this please  give the state park manager a call.
Deer Creek State Park Manager:
Bruce Strom
435-703-0589

When you say "as of 2020" when did this go into effect?

I fished it multiple times last year and never had any trouble staying till 2-3 in the morning.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
This is gaining some legs, I think we can make a difference.

Let's get those dates scheduled.