Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Evening 4/24
Mini date night this evening.  Launched at the north marina about 5:30 pm.  No wind and almost glass conditions.  Headed to freeway bay and fished crawler harnesses and some cranks.  Didn't go far and a freight train whacked one of the harnesses.  Took drag, shook a bit and then came unbuttoned. Went a little further and another fish on the harness.  This one was smaller and felt like a walleye, but part way in it came loose as well.  Trolled around for a while and nothing after that. Lots of bank tanglers along the southeast side coming over the dike.  But I never saw a fish caught. 

We pulled up everything and ran to the west side.  Put out the poles and within 5 minutes got a hookup on my wife's pole on the dike side crank in 13' of water.  Turned out to be a 19" walleye. But that turned out to be the only fish of the evening.  We were off the water just after 7:30.

When my wife and I fish Willard we nearly always head to Maddox afterwards for dinner at the drive up.  Love the chicken and their banana splits are huge and really good.. Did the same tonight. [Image: image000000-6.jpg]

[Image: image000002-1.jpg]
You did well, fishing for only two hours. Sounds like things a picking up slightly. Did you notice what the water temp got up to before you left? Did your wife catch her eye on a worm harness or a crank?
I did not check on the way out but it was 58 degrees when we started in Freeway bay. I was surprised we caught anything. She caught it on a flicker shad.
(04-25-2021, 01:41 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: I did not check on the way out but it was 58 degrees when we started in Freeway bay. I was surprised we caught anything. She caught it on a flicker shad.
Wow 58 degrees is getting close to that magical 60 degree mark when things really turn on, awesome. How fast were you trolling that flicker shad?
(04-25-2021, 01:54 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(04-25-2021, 01:41 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: I did not check on the way out but it was 58 degrees when we started in Freeway bay. I was surprised we caught anything. She caught it on a flicker shad.
Wow 58 degrees is getting close to that magical 60 degree mark when things really turn on, awesome. How fast were you trolling that flicker shad?
Pretty slow, 1.3.
(04-25-2021, 02:24 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote:
(04-25-2021, 01:54 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
Pretty slow, 1.3.
Thanks, we rarely troll faster than 1.5 mph until the water temp hits 60.
The mussel dunkers are starting to pick them up. Seen at least 3 differnt messages with catches. Next time ya both run out it ought to be game on with your fast troll.

On a differnt note - the halibut at Maddox. Oh ya. I know its not the drive in but it is awesome.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew