Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bait Bugs
"Bait bugs" was the name I originally gave to some cut-down hair or feather jigs to which I was attaching some bait.  Later I began making special jigs with shorter tails especially designed to hold a piece of bait.  And although my original bait bugs were mostly small round-head jigs, I now make and use them with a lot of different heads, colors and designs.  Heck, even my tailed fligs are just floating bait-bugs.

Like most anglers, I fish to catch fish.  And I discovered a long time ago that when the fish were being finicky that I could often do better by sweetening my jigs with some worm or fish flesh.  And I don't know many Utah anglers...besides the hard-core Orvis dorks...who don't bait their lures with some kind of flavor enhancement...either sometimes or all the time.

I am attaching a PDF file I just finished putting together on bait bugs.  I started it several years ago and just found a rough draft in my files.  Hope some of you find it entertaining and useful.

Attached Files
.pdf   BAIT BUGS.pdf (Size: 1.78 MB / Downloads: 70)
Over the years, I have caught some fish on your bait bugs. I probably should try them more often.
"And I don't know many Utah anglers...besides the hard-core Orvis dorks...who don't bait their lures with some kind of flavor enhancement...either sometimes or all the time."

While I don't dispute whether or not your bugs work, I do disagree with the Orvis dorks comment. Some lakes in Utah, that have some very large fish, do not allow bait or scents of any kind. I fish them often, and trust me, bait would make it much easier, but it's not always about easy.
Hi, my name is cowboy-pirate and I am an Orvis Dork. Oh and a powerbait dork. And most everything inbetween. Heck I am the Websters definition of dork. But Pat still likes me and so does my dog. Cookie on the other hand says its day-by-day for her.

Where was i going with this - oh ya. I need some jigs Pat. I will email ya.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
My favorite way of fishing is with a fly pole dangling a bit of feathers under a bobber. No sticking indicators for me.
(04-26-2021, 03:53 PM)Big Sky Wrote: "And I don't know many Utah anglers...besides the hard-core Orvis dorks...who don't bait their lures with some kind of flavor enhancement...either sometimes or all the time."

While I don't dispute whether or not your bugs work, I do disagree with the Orvis dorks comment. Some lakes in Utah, that have some very large fish, do not allow bait or scents of any kind. I fish them often, and trust me, bait would make it much easier, but it's not always about easy.
No offense intended for anyone who simply prefers to fish totally artificial.  Although I am making a case for adding bait to lures...when necessary or simply desired...I fully appreciate the preference for fishing only with fur, feathers and a high degree of skill.  I have tied flies, built fly rods and waved the "fairy wand" over many waters myself.  I do enjoy it, but not to the extent of giving up all other forms of fishing.  Nor do I think less of anyone who chooses to do so.

Kinda like religion or politics.  I open-mindedly allow others to harbor their own beliefs and live their own lives however they choose.  But I can get a bit testy when someone else tries to  coerce me into adopting their style or beliefs.  

Fishing, for me, has always been a combination of enjoying the wonders of nature, learning more about the environment...and the species within...and expanding my knowledge base of tactics, tackle and techniques to increase my success and enjoyment of fishing.  Right after that comes being able to download and share the things I have learned to help others shorten their own learning curves.  I can truthfully claim to get as much enjoyment out of helping others to catch fish as catching them myself.  Well...maybe not always.

On a personal note, sir.  I deeply admire and respect you for your apparent angling skills...and even more for the excellent photos you post.  Keep up the good work.  And I apologize if I offended you with my "OD" comment.

(04-26-2021, 03:48 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Over the years, I have caught some fish on your bait bugs.  I probably should try them more often.
My hand-crafted short-tailed jigs are not the only "bait bugs".  Anytime you put a piece of worm on a plastic tube jig or a waxworm on an ice fly you are doing it.

And when you put a chunk of cisco on a jig at Bear Lake...or sucker meat at the Gorge...yep.  Bait buggin'.
Just so's ya know's, I was not offended. I was just pointing out that on some waters in Utah one does not have a choice of whether to use baits/scents or not. I fish a couple different places in Utah that are artificial only and no scents allowed. I also fish a lot of places that are not artificial only, and if I think bait will work better, or tipping a jig with a night crawler, or meal worm will trigger more bites, I don't hesitate to drown a bug. The only baits I don't have anything to do with are Powerbait, stink bait, and liver. Not because they don't work, I just can't stand to have the smell or mess on my hands. Good thing I don't live in good catfish country or I might have to just buckle down and use the latter two. As for Powerbait, it definitely works, and often works well, but I've always been able to find some thing else that will work equally as well, and less messy. If one looked in my tackle supply they would see I'm not really biased, I just like to catch fish. Just this past Saturday I caught trout on my fly rod using midges and balanced leeches. Then switched to my spincast and used marabou jigs (tipped with a nightcrawler), and Rapalas. I was on two different bodies of water that were not artificial only, so I just tried a little of everything until I found something that out-fished the rest. This time Rapalas were the winner. Who knows next weekend it might be the flies or the jigs. I just like to have a lot of options in my arsenal so to speak.
(04-26-2021, 06:51 PM)Big Sky Wrote: Just so's ya know's, I was not offended. I was just pointing out that on some waters in Utah one does not have a choice of whether to use baits/scents or not. I fish a couple different places in Utah that are artificial only and no scents allowed. I also fish a lot of places that are not artificial only, and if I think bait will work better, or tipping a jig with a night crawler, or meal worm will trigger more bites, I don't hesitate to drown a bug. The only baits I don't have anything to do with are Powerbait, stink bait, and liver. Not because they don't work, I just can't stand to have the smell or mess on my hands. Good thing I don't live in good catfish country or I might have to just buckle down and use the latter two. As for Powerbait, it definitely works, and often works well, but I've always been able to find some thing else that will work equally as well, and less messy. If one looked in my tackle supply they would see I'm not really biased, I just like to catch fish. Just this past Saturday I caught trout on my fly rod using midges and balanced leeches. Then switched to my spincast and used marabou jigs (tipped with a nightcrawler), and Rapalas. I was on two different bodies of water that were not artificial only, so I just tried a little of everything until I found something that out-fished the rest. This time Rapalas were the winner. Who knows next weekend it might be the flies or the jigs. I just like to have a lot of options in my arsenal so to speak.
Good to know you occasionally cross over to the dark (bait) side too.  Appreciate the expanded explanation.

On the flip side, I have also fished waters around the country in which bait was legal, but where properly presented flies actually caught more and bigger fish.

I also have an aversion to "Powerputty", stink bait and liver...among other things.  I do fish for catfish but I tend to  use more "natural" baits...like minnows or strips cut from local baitfish.  And I often hold forth on the use of "fresh" baits, rather than "aged".  I know there are a lot of cataholics that still believe you have to use the rankest stuff you can find...and fish at night.  But I catch plenty of cats on lures...and flies...and natural baits...fishing pretty much only during the day.

Keep up the good work.