Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua and Pineview 3/10/20
Thumbs Down 
Started out trying Mantua.  The goal was to catch a bass for the ice contest.  Started out in 17' and marked lots of fish, on the bottom, and the few that did bite appeared to be really small and bit lightly.  I caught 1 perch of about 3" long.  Kept drilling holes and eventually ended up in 9 1/2' of water.  The fish were the most active, at this depth, and I caught two more perch and a rainbow.  Struck out on getting a bass.

Next stop was the narrows, at Pineview.  The only other anglers there were in a red shack out on the ice.  I set up north of them and tried from 5' (still hoping for a bass) to 59' of water.  I found perch, and nothing else, at all depths (the best being 24' and 59').  The perch here were aggressive biters.  After a couple hours the two guys in the shack packed up and headed out.  Hoping that they were over some crappie I moved over and tried their holes.  I found that they were fishing in 24' of water and the perch catching was fast and furious, but alas no crappie to be found. 

Both places had a really thin crust on the top with about 5 to 6" of slush under that.  I doubt the ice will be safe through the end of the week at Mantua.  Ice may be safe for a few more days at Pineview, but may need a plank starting any day now.