Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln Beach report 5/26: The One That Got Away
I went to Lincoln again yesterday. When I started fishing at 7:30 it was 58.5°; at the end of the day it had risen to 66°. I went out a ways from the jaws until I got to 9 fow and started strolling toward the island. I got my first bite at 8:15 but didn't hook up. My first fish came to the boat at 8:30. Last trip I reported that I was using a fire tiger flig but it was actually a pale perch pattern (I think). That and wb accounted for the majority of the fish I caught. I caught about two an hour all day. The biggest was 26", nothing to get too excited about. There was a big lull between 12:15 and 2:55 when I caught my eleventh. I guess I'm either stubborn or persistent because I stuck it out hoping to reach my goal of 13 cats.  I got number 12 at 3:05 and thought it was going to pick up as the water was getting warm. Nope. I had to wait till 5:30 before I hooked another cat, a 19". Whoopdee. But I kept trying. My 30.5"er had come later in the day and I had to ride out a dead spell to get it. Finally I hooked up with one more fish before I had to leave. Now this one felt big and feisty. When it got to the boat it flat refused to come up, dragging my rod tip under the water several times and ripping off line against the drag. When it finally came to the surface I could see that it was big enough to at least bump my 28" smallest cat on the scoreboard. I got it close up a few times but it kept running away. Eventually I had it close enough to try to net it. Unfortunately it was so big that I couldn't get it all the way in the net. As it got out it threw a fit, thrashing and sending water splashing all over the place. It headed straight for Bird Island. Somehow my line tangled on my pole and so I had no drag to fall back on and before I could do anything about it he snapped the line. Dang (that's not what I actually said, it was more PG-13). Now I have to go buy a bigger, longer net. Maybe something like they land those 40-pound blues with. 

I caught almost all my fish on white bass, but I did get a couple on strawberry chicken. Neither pork nor shrimp did any good but I only tried them for a while during the lulls. The Santee rig started producing somewhat in the afternoon but nearly everything came on the perch flig. After I lost that one to the big fish I tied on a fire tiger one but didn't get anything on it; admittedly I didn't have a lot of time to try it. I spent most of the day in about 10 fow.

I intend to fish every day for the rest of this week. Next week doesn't look to have many good days. As soon as I get the old swamp cooler going and my batteries charged I'll be heading out in a while. Maybe that big one will want to play again today. I've caught most of my biggest fish in the same general area (as has Ben) and so you can bet that I'll be dragging bait through there again.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Sounds like a fun active day... Sorry about the loss, but it usually happens with the biggest and best fish... Part of the fun that keeps it from getting boring... I could probably use a bigger net too, but they don't make one the size I'd like... They are either humongous or just a little too small... I wan't one just a little bigger than what I have so the tails will fit in so they can't flop out with that tail action... need the rubberized too, so the lures don't get caught and so it won't hurt the fish tails and fins... If you find one, let me know where... Thanks and congrats... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Jeff, I just started looking. Do you think this one will work?

https://www.amazon.com/KUFA-Sports-FC705...313&sr=8-3
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

When you buy tires, you can get a "road hazard warranty".  But those fligs do not come with an "angler error" replacement option.  The manufacturer assumes no liability for the excitement, clumsiness or plain bad luck of the user.

Of such epic battles are lifetime memories made.  Who wants to remember simply hoisting out a little white bass...or even an average cat.  The bigguns bring the "hand to fin" combat element to a high point and definitely elevate the blood pressure and enjoys...even if the fish wins.
Here's another possibility. Not sure if it is deep enough, though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JSLWLQ?tag...A9YIMR70J0

These look really good but $75-$85 might be a bit much.

https://www.sportsmans.com/fishing-gear-...0571538779

Craig, Here are some things to consider. First, I have a Frabil net that you can have. The hoop is 25"x19" and the handle is 36". The net material is the micromesh. This is similar to the second of your two possibilities. Here is why I do not use this net.
1) The handle is not long enough.
2) The micromesh gets hooks caught in it.

For 5 extra bucks. the first one has rubberized mesh - by far my choice. Also it has a much longer handle. If you are considering the second choice, take mine. If you are happy, keep it. If not you will know why and can then order the first choice.
Thanks, John. When will you be working? Can I pick it up there or can we meet somewhere in Spanish Fork?

Great report Craig. I would have liked to seen you miss that last one. Lol.
I'm heading down tomorrow for a couple days. I'll look for you.
Craig,
Seeing your first suggestion, I remember I've got one like that in the shed... It was too clunky for the regular bank tangling trips, so that's why I'm still using the smaller net. It's a good net (your first pictured one), but I just take it on the boat trips, it's not as handy as my Frabill that I usually take with me... I also like a narrower handle so it fits in my rod holders on my pontoon, so I guess my one Frabill has become the net of choice for me... I have used it so much it's starting to break out in places, guess I need to get a new net part for it, and see if they make a bigger one (deeper), that fits that hoop size. Good suggestions and I need to go hunt down where I left that other net... I also agree with the suggestion to only get the rubberized net... It's no fun spending time trying to get lures out of your net... especially if you fish for wiper, they will wrap those crank baits up so tight in your nets that you spend hours trying to free them... Good luck on your choice... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Craig, I work tomorrow (Friday), Saturday and Sunday. Be there all weekend. I will bring it to work. If you don't get a chance to come get it Friday, I can drop it off on my way home Friday.