Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back to the forum and Porcupine Kokanee
Hi all, took a year off fishing to deal with some back problems and found it easier to use a new handle than the old one i had a couple of years ago. I do the bulk of my fishing from a kayak with a downrigger on the starboard and long line with a cannonball sinker set up port side.

Anyway tried Porcupine Friday and Saturday and the bite was on. Easy limits both days. Schools were darn near everywhere 45 - 65’ with 50 being the sweet spot. Colors were green and chartreuse. I did try blue at 65’ just out of curiosity and picked up. A couple of 11”ers. 
I don’t remember seeing so many kokes the last time i was there although the size is definitely smaller with mostly 9-11”. Even with the smaller size the fish seemed to be fat, sassy, and healthy.
Just curious -- I'm not a new fisherman, but a new kayak fisherman (wannabe)...I have caught a few kayaking, but the first larger one pulled me around, and you're not paddling forward anymore ... so how do you fish with 2 poles without that second line getting all tangled up, as you're fighting a fish? I don't think I'll ever put a downrigger on mine, but what is a cannonball weight, and how deep can you get with it? tks...
I started with a Ocean Kayak Trident 13 paddle kayak when I sit got started in kayak fishing and fishing with 2 lines out led to heartache more often than not. I now pedal a Hobie Revolution and can fish hands free and keep moving forward while playing a fish.
The cannon ball is just a round lead sinker 1-6 oz that attaches to a sliding swivel about 2 feet above your dodger. A kayak angler named Tyler Hicks with a YouTube channel SpiltMilt productions has an excellent tutorial on fishing Kokanee without downriggers. I was fishing 2 oz 100’ back and getting bit, I would estimate i was 30’ at a speed of 1.2 mph. It is possible to get 50’ plus without a downrigger.
Here is a look at what i use on my non downrigger rod. With the swivel slider I can quickly change weights if needed and the fish has a harder time using the sinker to leverage itself off the hook. It also seems to have fewer line tangles than banana sinkers. I then use a bead chain to a leader of at least 2 feet. Then dodger and lure. When letting your line out go slow.
[Image: 1-BA48-C81-C028-428-A-9-AE5-33067-B2-E932-B.jpg]

[Image: 6-EC27-BC6-4638-4-B87-8426-A2-D78-F8-C5-F9-C.jpg]

24 sided dice online
Great report, thanks.... Man I need to get up there before they turn red and soft... tis the end of season soon for good kokes... Thanks Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!