Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing The Pig with the Slayer 9-2-20
We haven't fished porcupine, in the Summer, for over two years, so Wiperslayer and I decided to give it a try yesterday. Limits there are generous(12 each) for kokanee but the fish are generally small. With the season coming to an end next week, we thought this would be our last chance. We arrived there around 7am and we successfully launched at what we call the third launch, pics to follow. The first launch looked too muddy but the third launch solid and had a deep drop off into deeper water. If you have never launched there the turn off is right before the small spring fed creek that runs into the lake at the back before you get to the second launch. We finally got launched and setup, then slowly motored toward the dam looking for fish. First fish on, a skinny 14" bow, second fish on a smaller cutt, finally we caught our first koke. We found a spot with good numbers stacked up but most of the active fish were deep, 70'. We tried shallow but had little success but once we got down to that deeper depth we start catching them pretty regular, we were only able to catch 13 and lost 5 or 6 more, only caught two that were silver. Later in the morning, the kokes started jumping, just like others have reported recently but they sure we not interested in biting. Took some pics of the launch area, how low the lake is by the dam and of course the kokes, here they are.
[Image: 100-3413.jpg]

[Image: 100-3414.jpg]

[Image: 100-3417.jpg]

[Image: 100-3424.jpg]

This post will not be in the contest, I'm hoping others will win.
Nice, I love the Pig and look forward to ice fishing in January, its one of my favorite places in the winter for big browns and chunky bows. Will the water continue to drop or will it come back up a bit before winter?
Nice haul. What size were they?
(09-03-2020, 07:01 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote: Nice, I love the Pig and look forward to ice fishing in January, its one of my favorite places in the winter for big browns and chunky bows. Will the water continue to drop or will it come back up a bit before winter?
You should see how much water they are letting out of that lake, if they continue to draw it down at the rate they are right now, I can easily see it dropping 10 ft in the next week or so. It really depends on how wet it is this Fall, if we get a lot of rain or snow, it could fill up above the level we saw yesterday, only time will tell.
(09-03-2020, 07:02 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Nice haul.  What size were they?
Thanks Kent. Do you see those three marks on the cutting board, right below the fish? Those are 10", 11" & 12" marks.
Did you have riggers to get you down deep enough or were you using jets/planers or just weights?
Nice report, and a decent haul out of there. Looks like they really put on some size since I was up there a month or two ago.
(09-04-2020, 02:15 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: Did you have riggers to get you down deep enough or were you using jets/planers or just weights?
Oh yea, downriggers were used, that was the deepest I have ever trolled for kokes. I also picked up a couple with lead core line, with 6 colors out. We did try fishing the surface, using a small bullet weight, just to get it under the surface, had one hit but never got that fish in.
(09-04-2020, 02:56 PM)JArner Wrote: Nice report, and a decent haul out of there. Looks like they really put on some size since I was up there a month or two ago.
Thanks, those kokes are still pretty small. If they ever get back up to the 13 to 14", I might spend some more time up there but after smoking those fish yesterday, I don't think those 12 added up to 3 Strawberry kokes.
Well done and thanks for stopping by and saying hello
(09-05-2020, 01:27 AM)2knots Wrote: Well done and thanks for stopping by and saying hello
Thanks Alan, it really looks like your place has really come together nicely.