Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo morning fun 9/5
I hit Echo early this morning and tried all kinds of things.  It was still pretty dark when I launched.  Put some big lures on the downriggers and probed the depths for a while.  Had some good whacks but only one smallmouth bass to show for it. (I know there there are some big trout in there).

Lots of pods of carp everywhere, even down by the dam.  Some bait balls down there too, carp or chubs maybe, some were deep, others shallow.  Just don't know.

I switched over to trying to find some perch to hover over, but only found small to medium ones.  Slow trolled around for a while looking for promising schools, but never really found a good concentration.

I finally decided to see if the bass were willing to play.  Best decision all day.  There are some nice smallies in there and perch too.  Just slowly paralleled the bank throwing a flicker shad up towards the bank and cranking it back to the boat.  Ended up limiting out on the bass, with the biggest going 16", all were over 12" with one at 15" and two at 14".  I also caught several perch on the shad, with the biggest right at 12".

It has been years since I targeted bass and it was very rewarding when they slammed the lure and then would rocket out of the water trying to throw it.  They are freight trains for sure and on light 8 lb test, I had a ball.  I had one whack it right at the side of the boat when I was about to lift the lure out of the water.

Water is very low and there is a sign next to the water that launching is at your own risk. Pavement still reached into the water.[Image: 20200905-112151-1.jpg]

[Image: 20200905-125818.jpg] Courtesy dock was still in place.
Nice mess of fish there, glad you were able to get into them. Those big ones are a lot of fun to pull in, may need to run up there soon.
Thanks Jim.  My better half told me I should have invited you to go, and she was right.  I will let you know when I go again.
Yeah, I had a bunch of stuff lined up this morning, but nothing that couldn’t have waited. My better half and I are discussing an evening fishing run tonight, but it’s still pretty hot outside.
I already made a comment on that nasty old facebook about your nice echo trip, so I will just say that ...DID YOU SEE THAT HOG BLK PUT ON THE BOARD - quit messing with smallies and get back to the BR. You, John and Forrest got to strike back, cause Cookie and I are no help, yet
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Hard to miss that giant.  All I can say is WOW! 

Yes, Facebook is interesting.  Imagine if I would have posted that I kept a limit of bass.  That would have brought out the haters.  I can tell you that the fish tacos last night were fantastic!

I have been fishing the Bear but I am not turning up anything with any size.  Even tried a new area I have never fished before to see if I could find a bumper, but nothing but teeners.  About 2 weeks ago I hooked one that I thought would probably be a bumper.  Big bait, took drag immediately, and fought it within about 20 ft of the bank.  Then my line just went limp.  I didn't break me, it just came unhooked for some reason.  Cat slime on the line above hook. Those are the frustrating ones.

Although I like to fish for cats, I just like to fish.  I also love to eat fish, so I like to fish a lot of different places.  I turn the cats loose on the Bear, but like to keep some tasty bass, trout, kokes, walleye, panfish, and cats out of other places on occasion.