Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Evening 5/4
I took my Dad out fishing for his birthday.  We launched at the north marina and got on the water about 5 pm.  We motored over to freeway bay and found 66-67 degree water.  Wow, wasn't expecting that.  We trolled all around and found a few marks here and there, but nothing wanted to play.  So I made towards the feed lot and finally hooked up with the first fish.  A baby wiper.[Image: 20210504-180520.jpg]
Trolled around a little more with nothing to show for it, so we brought all the lines in and motored over to the west side.  Found 61.7 degree water there.  Put the lines out again and within a couple of minutes I had a walleye in the boat.  Nice eating size teener.  We turned around and passed through that same area and I got hit again and another fish on.  This one was much nicer.  Turned out to be a 21" eye.  After that we had some tangling issues which cost us some valuable fishing time.  By the time we got going again it was getting late, so we left.  Off the water about 8:30.  Poor Dad experienced a Willard skunk.  Hopefully next time will be better.[Image: 20210504-191328.jpg]

[Image: 20210504-204038.jpg]
Looks like a nice pair of eyes there. Bummer about the tangles.
(05-05-2021, 05:44 AM)JArner Wrote: Looks like a nice pair of eyes there. Bummer about the tangles.
Thanks Jim.
Hey Jig Fisher, I saw you land that HUGE wiper. Barely though, it was small and I was at a distance from you. lol. My friend and I were in the Red tracker with the bimini top that was in freeway bay. We started about noon and lasted until 6:30. Caught a 21" walleye and a 22 " cat one on a worm harness and one on a purple flig with worm.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
After getting good and sunburnt at the BRBR (a bust, just a few small bait thiefs for my efforts) I too wandering down to the bay to check on the bucket brigade and to see what/who BTFs were out trolling.. Seemed a bit slower for them bucket toters - maybe the front pushed the crappie out? Only seen a few caught. Sure a nice day. I threw out a cat rod, set up a chair, and promptly fell asleep. For all I know I caught and released 10 in that state. My hook was bait free when I woke and checked it. That was a good sign to head home. Glad you and your dad got a few. I am suprised the open bay was that warm.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(05-05-2021, 01:55 PM)BURLEY Wrote: Hey Jig Fisher, I saw you land that HUGE wiper. Barely though, it was small and I was at a distance from you. lol. My friend and I were in the Red tracker with the bimini top that was in freeway bay. We started about noon and lasted until 6:30. Caught a 21" walleye and a 22 " cat one on a worm harness and one on a purple flig with worm.
Next time I will say hi.  I'm just not familiar with who is in what boat.  With all the boats in Freeway bay, there had to be a BFT member or two out.  I figured you were probably pulling harnesses with your slower speed.  Nice catches.