Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Beautiful Blue
I just spent 2 separate days fishing Bear Lake and come out scratching my you know what.

Oct 2-A beautiful day to be on the water but as for fishing it wasn't great. The morning started out on the cool side but with some summer like conditions still looming it was easy to dress the part for me wearing shorts. We started out at the Rockpile and hovered the area for about the first 4hrs. Finding those water critters was easy but getting them to bite was another thing. Surface water temp was a bit too warm still in low 60°'s, water temp down to 50FOW still too warm in mid to upper 50°'s. By the time we get to 70FOW temp was in ideal range of 52.4°. Between us 2 we threw everything we could dragging thru the schools with no love. No one else that we could see was catching either. We ventured over to the east side, the only good thing was the boat ride with glass like conditions. [i]The only wind we got was a slight breeze for the day. We didn't fair out any better going over to the east side. All go to lures were expended plus anything else we add into the arsenal. I bought a replacement J-13 Rapala lure earlier this year before shelves stated emptying and it split full length on the belly side of front section. [/i]
[i]Oct 7-This day was almost a repeat of Oct 2. The only difference was we started on the east side and stayed away from the Rockpile and we did beat down the skunk with 1 keeper cutt in the box. As we would pass other boaters they would raise both arms pointing thumbs down. The fish have lockjaw and are lethargic. Water temps were basically same. The fish are deep. I'm going to hold off for a short while to see if this weather can change the lake conditions. Its was also a shame with the fall colors in the mountains the smoky condition obscured the scenery. [/i]

[i][Image: split-lure.jpg][/i]
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
You don't see that happen to Rapalas very often, but it sure make it frustrating to spend that kind of money and have it happen. You can put some 2 part epoxy inside and tape it closed for the cure period to fix it. Better than tossing the lure out.
Or, if it's usable as is (not falling apart) just use that open crack for your scent attractors...Sounds like temps need to take a dive up North also, before fish believe it's actually Fall season...maybe after this weekend? Hope to see you on the water at EC or RP...Guluk...
(10-09-2020, 04:45 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Or, if it's usable as is (not falling apart) just use that open crack for your scent attractors...Sounds like temps need to take a dive up North also, before fish believe it's actually Fall season...maybe after this weekend? Hope to see you on the water at EC or RP...Guluk...
That thought entered my mind when I first saw it. But looking deeper into the crack the eye hook doesn't look to be very secure at all. I have options of a 2 part epoxy or fiberglass resin which I keep a stock of both.  Undecided
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF