Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview crappie die off. Just a little
I was trolling around pineview and noticed maybe 20 or 30 small crappies floating around dead or dying. What's the deal anyone know?
Often, when ice fishermen release them, they expire without them knowing, for various reasons. They float up and get trapped. When ice off occurs, they are released. Now ice off has occurred a while ago and normally the birds and predatory fish clean them up pretty quick, so your observation may be somthing differnt.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(05-05-2021, 04:06 PM)johnboy83 Wrote: I was trolling around pineview and noticed maybe 20 or 30 small crappies floating around dead or dying. What's the deal anyone know?
I did not see it firsthand, but there were reports early last spring of a big crappie dieoff...fish of all sizes.  No official pronouncement of the cause.  Who is gonna do a CSI on a bunch of lowly crappie?
I see it quite often in the spring and have wondered what the cause was? Is it a possible low oxygen or something like that? Kind of Sad because on Cutler it's usually the bigger fish 12"ers... I always hate to see good fish die for no reason that I know of... Mortal combat for a mate???? I'd be interested to know what the cause was as well... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Small die-offs happen naturally all the time. Seasonal stress, stuff like that. Where there are fish, there will be dead fish.

Large numbers of dead fish worry me, though.
Oddly enough I was at PV this morning scouting . The wookie and I walked into a few spots. In the narrows I personally watched 12 crappie come up from the deep and belly up in the 20 minutes i was in that spot. There were crappie scattered along the shore (wind blown side) in that section of the narrows. Predatory birds were ignoring them. Maybe they were full. Most of the fish that were washed up were still alive, barely, cause the wookie caught as many as he could to show them to me. No other species. They were all about 5-7 inch crappie. I did not get right to the shore in the other two area, just close enough to glass shoreline, water depth and cover, so I don't know if was just the narrows.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew