Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua 12/10
I got on Mantua today from 7am to 2pm. The ice is 5”, clear, with no snow. I was 3 to 4 hundred yards off the ramp. I fished 12-16’ of water with 15’ being my best depth. I kept 40 8-11” perch released a bunch of smaller perch and a half dozen trout. I caught them on a chartreuse Gizzy Bug under a gold KastMaster, I got the first one on a meal worm and the rest on eye balls. The bite was pretty consistent early then slowed way down for a couple hours then really turned on the last hour I was there.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thanks for the report, I was hoping to get up there today but had to finish some work around the house. I am loaded up for tomorrow though. Hoping it will be decent fishing still, without too many people.
It was reported that someone went through a couple hundred yards off the boat ramp. Did you by chance see it?. I am guessing the resident hot springs were the culprit
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(12-11-2020, 01:41 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: It was reported that someone went through a  couple hundred yards off the boat ramp. Did you by chance see it?. I am guessing the resident hot springs were the culprit
I did not see anyone go in, there where a couple dozen people out there fishing today most of them with in a couple hundred yards of me, the ice was very noisy in the morning but quieted down in the afternoon. With no snow on the ice you can see the springs, I came across what I think was one, its was an open patch of water about 2' across I steered wide of it.
(12-11-2020, 01:41 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: It was reported that someone went through a  couple hundred yards off the boat ramp. Did you by chance see it?. I am guessing the resident hot springs were the culprit
I actually was out there Wednesday morning and did not see anyone out that far that went through. I did talk to a guy that went through getting off the ice close to noon. While there is no snow on top, people do need to steer clear of those bubble spots that show right now. They are pretty obvious. If it looks questionable, stay away. I caught several perch, some being 10 and up to 12 inches that morning too on soft plastics on both small jigs and spoons. I also caught one largemouth bass and a few planter trout. If the boss says I can, I am gonna get gutsy and get on Echo ice early tomorrow morning. I checked it by the ramp on Tuesday and it seemed good there. At least 4 inches. I always carry my spud bar and spikes and check my entire path out to where I drill during the early ice time.
Gabe
Awesome report! I'm heading up there tomorrow morning, only ice fished it once or twice, gonna be looking for gills and largies but will definitely keep larger perch for a fry if they show up! Anyone else goin maybe wanna meet up?
(12-11-2020, 03:08 AM)Fritzfishin Wrote: Awesome report! I'm heading up there tomorrow morning, only ice fished it once or twice, gonna be looking for gills and largies but will definitely keep larger perch for a fry if they show up! Anyone else goin maybe wanna meet up?

I’ll be there in the morning, happy to meet up as well. I’ll be solo and that’s not the best plan on early ice.
(12-11-2020, 12:24 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote: I got on Mantua today from 7am to 2pm. The ice is 5”, clear, with no snow. I was 3 to 4 hundred yards off the ramp. I fished 12-16’ of water with 15’ being my best depth. I kept 40 8-11” perch released a bunch of smaller perch and a half dozen trout. I caught them on a chartreuse Gizzy Bug under a gold KastMaster, I got the first one on a meal worm and the rest on eye balls. The bite was pretty consistent early then slowed way down for a couple hours then really turned on the last hour I was there.

You forgot 1. Good to see you out there and catching a bunch. 
[Image: 13215-A38-8389-4-B31-ABD8-74-EB1104-C810.jpg]
(12-11-2020, 03:12 AM)JArner Wrote:
(12-11-2020, 03:08 AM)Fritzfishin Wrote: Awesome report! I'm heading up there tomorrow morning, only ice fished it once or twice, gonna be looking for gills and largies but will definitely keep larger perch for a fry if they show up! Anyone else goin maybe wanna meet up?

I’ll be there in the morning, happy to meet up as well. I’ll be solo and that’s not the best plan on early ice.

Pm sent.
Great report and nice photo! Thanks
No "hot springs" in Mantua.  But there are some methane bubblers in a few locations.  And those spots seem to change from year to year...depending on decaying underwater vegetation, etc.  Always good to check your route as you go...especially early in the year.  And watch for places where the ice looks "different".
Wear a PFD and tie a rope around your waist and drag it along behind you.
If you go through, you will float.
If someone is nearby and wants to help, they just need to grab your rope, which if it is 50' long they won't have to get closer than 25' from you to start pulling, keeping them safe and rescuing you.
  I used to never even catch perch through the ice, even though I caught them in May and June a lot.   Used to load up on the gluebills and bass.  Last few years I have lost touch with the bluegills, it seems, and the bulk of my catch is perch and trout, even though I clean up on bluegills in the late spring. 

Got any tips?