Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Report 5/5/21
Well, the hunt for my first walleye continues! Me and my padre headed to Willard for about 3 hours before dark. We were hoping to catch wiper, kitties, smallmouth, but above all, walleye. We started at the inlet place and I threw out a bottom rig for wipers while I pitched some jigs and spoons and such for walleye. I ended up catching a 12 inch bullhead on the bottom rig and that's it  Sad So, we headed out to the dike for wipers. I started casting out rods and my stink-pot of a dad decided to make ONE CAST with a kastmaster. I don't want to talk about it but he caught a sticking walleye! LOL So, I abandoned plan Wiper and commenced plan Walleye. I walked about 200 yards down the dike, casting and casting and got nothing. Not a single bump. Got plenty of snags however and lost a not so good amount of lures. Sad So now I know its just me! LOL I cannot get a stinking walleye! Guess I just have to keep fishing! I'm hoping hoping hoping to get one in the next few weeks!
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
Ah, well. Dads deserve to catch fish, too. You'll get one soon.

I told you before, catching walleyes on purpose is a gift few possess.

Next time you get a moment, let me take you to Mantua and catch some largies.
Walleye from the shore are difficult to begin with.

Swim jigs are a better option to reduce snags. You can fish the bottom and slide right over most snags.

I use to feel that fishing for Walleye was like fishing for Steelhead, tough to detect most strikes, requires extreme skill in reading water, and demands more than your fair share of luck.

Once you get a few, you will start to figure it out. Eventually can get to the point you think that they are easy. Still, Walleye in Utah are different than Walleye in more normal conditions, due to the strange conditions they live in. Walleye are structure fish, but you have almost no structure in Willard or Utah Lake. Walleye like deep weed edges, or ledges, or drop offs, or rocks, or ...... none of which are found at the two aforementioned lakes.

Still, life finds a way, and Walleye are no different. They adapt to the food and conditions available to them. At Willard right now, with the fish in post spawn, they will be scattered. Scattered active fish are easier to locate, if you can cover lots of water. If you are limited in the ability to cover lots of water, it can and will be tough.
(05-07-2021, 09:15 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: Ah, well.  Dads deserve to catch fish, too.  You'll get one soon.

I told you before, catching walleyes on purpose is a gift few possess.

Next time you get a moment, let me take you to Mantua and catch some largies.
I would be DELIGHTED to!
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
If you dont have it by July, send me a PM well put something together to get your eye...
(05-09-2021, 06:20 PM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote: If you dont have it by July, send me a PM well put something together to get your eye...
Ok Ok I'm listening LOL
Look, I don't know where they go anywhere else in the year. For some reason come July I have their number.