Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ririe Anyone?
Walley? Really? I havent heard of anyone catch just one eye let alone 4. Are ya sure they were walleye?  I'd about have to see them to make sure you didnt have just a good ole fish story Smile  Tongue What were you using for the eyes?  And Ill ask but if you dont wanna say its all good, where may I ask, general location, did you get into them? Good day for you.
See the attached pic... most certainly walleyes!

[Image: Ririe-Walleye.jpg]

I have been fishing Ririe for the 14 years that we have lived in East Idaho and have only caught one walleye there prior to this trip. All of them have been caught as "incidentals" when fishing for perch/bass/trout by pitching small jigs tipped with about 2 inches of crawler towards shore. This particular day we had wind blowing into shore and with a bit of a mudline in the water. We were keeping the boat in 10 to 15 ft of water and casting right op to the shore and slowly working back to the boat. All four of them as well as the perch and some smallies were caught on a 50 yard stretch on the Blacktail side. Kokanee were all caught trolling near the power lines.
Nice eyes, looks like there's a pretty good population of them in there now.
(07-02-2021, 03:58 PM)psanders71 Wrote: See the attached pic...  most certainly walleyes

I have been fishing Ririe for the 14 years that we have lived in East Idaho and have only caught one walleye there prior to this trip.  All of them have been caught as "incidentals" when fishing for perch/bass/trout by pitching small jigs tipped with about 2 inches of crawler towards shore.  This particular day we had wind blowing into shore and with a bit of a mudline in the water.  We were keeping the boat in 10 to 15 ft of water and casting right op to the shore and slowly working back to the boat.  All four of them as well as the perch and some smallies were caught on a 50 yard stretch on the Blacktail side.  Kokanee were all caught trolling near the power lines.

Nice eyes, You guys really did well, just goes to show you that they are there and they must be in decent numbers or you would not have caught four. Did you measure that big one?
(07-02-2021, 03:58 PM)psanders71 Wrote: See the attached pic...  most certainly walleyes!

[Image: Ririe-Walleye.jpg]

I have been fishing Ririe for the 14 years that we have lived in East Idaho and have only caught one walleye there prior to this trip.  All of them have been caught as "incidentals" when fishing for perch/bass/trout by pitching small jigs tipped with about 2 inches of crawler towards shore.  This particular day we had wind blowing into shore and with a bit of a mudline in the water.  We were keeping the boat in 10 to 15 ft of water and casting right op to the shore and slowly working back to the boat.  All four of them as well as the perch and some smallies were caught on a 50 yard stretch on the Blacktail side.  Kokanee were all caught trolling near the power lines.
Eat my words lol Smile, wow now those are some nice eyes. But, ya know, F&G are gonna want to know your exact location, exact lure, exact everything since they want them out of there. Those are some of the best eating around. I've fished for eyes in Canada a bunch, guess Ill have to give it a shot here now to see if I can get a bite Smile lol. I'll have to consider you guys as masters there. Way to go and thanks for the pics man, those are awesome Big Grin
Looked like three different year classes... 1 was just under 16", 2 were right at 18" and the biggest was just over 22".

I know that fish and game does not want them in there, have read about the gillnetting in the spring to kill during the spawn. I love catching them and love eating them! Wish I didn't have to drive so far to get into them consistently though!
Finally made it back out to Ririe on Saturday morning. Wife and I ended up keeping 9 kokanee in a couple hours of trolling on Juniper side. Also got 3 rainbows that we did not keep. All fish caught between 35 45 feet down.
(07-12-2021, 08:32 PM)psanders71 Wrote: Finally made it back out to Ririe on Saturday morning.  Wife and I ended up keeping 9 kokanee in a couple hours of trolling on Juniper side.  Also got 3 rainbows that we did not keep.  All fish caught between 35 45 feet down.

That sounds like a good day considering the heat wave.

(07-12-2021, 10:07 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wow, a 22" koke at Ririe, I did not realize they got that big there, sounds like two good outing. Did you catch any that big on this last trip?

Think one of the walleye they caught was 22".
So my brother in law and I made it to Ririe today. There were about a dozen fishing boats out and ski boats started around noon. We started at Juniper at 530. What a great morning/day it was.  Great temps, calm water and fish on Smile. The fish were hitting in the narrows even though we saw a ton on the finder from the power line up to the narrows. One boat with 3 on board was hotter than a firecracker. I think they limited out.  I watched them land at least a dozen.  They must have a little dough, using electric downriggers and I think it made a difference. 

We landed 6 and lost another 3 Sad. The largest was 16", 1 - 15, and the other 4 were 13".  We were using garlic/tuna mix corn. Seemed to do pretty well. We took all of our fish between 25 and 35 ft. We also took a couple long line out 110 to 125 ft. with a 3/8 to 1/2 oz sinker. We were traveling probably 1.5 to 2 mph but just a guess as I dont have anything to measure speed on the boat but, that's ok.  We took more when we zig zagged across the water.

[Image: 20210712-153758.jpg]

[Image: 20210712-153729.jpg]

One issue we had today, and I've had it before and reported it but no one seemed to care was the County boat. I dont know who the operator was and he was by himself but, he never slowed down one bit going through the boats. Talk about wakes, if we had been in smaller boats this idiot would have sunk a boat. He didn't slow down going through the narrows or coming back down and when he came back there were more boats in the narrows than when he went up.  I had this happen 2 years ago and I called the County Commissioners on it and no one was concerned about it at all. All I was told is to not fish in the middle of the reservoir and it won't happen to me.  What an attitude. I'm sure many of you have had other boats about make  you take water on board, but, for the County boat when you clearly know who's boat it is, gives one hell of a bad reputation to the operator(s). Someone needs to take them out and retrain them in boat operation and if they have issues with them again, someone needs to loose their job.  It's bad enough when the ski boats come out, but, the County? 

Anyhow, it was a great day and hope more of you get out and get some good eating fish. Their on and ready for the taking Smile Good luck and be safe folks.
(07-12-2021, 10:42 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote:
(07-12-2021, 08:32 PM)psanders71 Wrote: Finally made it back out to Ririe on Saturday morning.  Wife and I ended up keeping 9 kokanee in a couple hours of trolling on Juniper side.  Also got 3 rainbows that we did not keep.  All fish caught between 35 45 feet down.

That sounds like a good day considering the heat wave.

Think one of the walleye they caught was 22".

LOL, I remember that now, thought it was a new post.
(07-13-2021, 12:28 AM)duksnfish Wrote: So my brother in law and I made it to Ririe today. There were about a dozen fishing boats out and ski boats started around noon. We started at Juniper at 530. What a great morning/day it was.  Great temps, calm water and fish on Smile. The fish were hitting in the narrows even though we saw a ton on the finder from the power line up to the narrows. One boat with 3 on board was hotter than a firecracker. I think they limited out.  I watched them land at least a dozen.  They must have a little dough, using electric downriggers and I think it made a difference. 

We landed 6 and lost another 3 Sad. The largest was 16", 1 - 15, and the other 4 were 13".  We were using garlic/tuna mix corn. Seemed to do pretty well. We took all of our fish between 25 and 35 ft. We also took a couple long line out 110 to 125 ft. with a 3/8 to 1/2 oz sinker. We were traveling probably 1.5 to 2 mph but just a guess as I dont have anything to measure speed on the boat but, that's ok.  We took more when we zig zagged across the water.

One issue we had today, and I've had it before and reported it but no one seemed to care was the County boat. I dont know who the operator was and he was by himself but, he never slowed down one bit going through the boats. Talk about wakes, if we had been in smaller boats this idiot would have sunk a boat. He didn't slow down going through the narrows or coming back down and when he came back there were more boats in the narrows than when he went up.  I had this happen 2 years ago and I called the County Commissioners on it and no one was concerned about it at all. All I was told is to not fish in the middle of the reservoir and it won't happen to me.  What an attitude. I'm sure many of you have had other boats about make  you take water on board, but, for the County boat when you clearly know who's boat it is, gives one hell of a bad reputation to the operator(s). Someone needs to take them out and retrain them in boat operation and if they have issues with them again, someone needs to loose their job.  It's bad enough when the ski boats come out, but, the County? 

Anyhow, it was a great day and hope more of you get out and get some good eating fish. Their on and ready for the taking Smile Good luck and be safe folks.

Sounds like a great morning on the lake. We have had the same issue too, with boats going way too fast around other boats. Is there a rule in Idaho about boats going that fast around other boats? I know in Utah it is 150 ft or 50 yds, some don't follow the rules about that but we are hearing they are going to start enforcing it soon, we shall see.
That sounds like a great morning. County should do something with their boat operator, they should know the rules that are in place for a wake, but just common courtesy to not throw up a big wake in the area of another boat.
Made it out for a few hours yesterday evening... Ended up with 18 kokes with the largest right at 15". Was a great evening on the water even though we were getting buzzed by joy riders the entire time. Slingblades, hoochies/spinners, 35 to 50 feet down.
(07-15-2021, 03:45 PM)psanders71 Wrote: Made it out for a few hours yesterday evening... Ended up with 18 kokes with the largest right at 15".  Was a great evening on the water even though we were getting buzzed by joy riders the entire time.  Slingblades, hoochies/spinners, 35 to 50 feet down.

Wow, that is a great report, you did very good for only fishing for a few hours. Did you happen to notice what the air temps were there or the water temps?
(07-15-2021, 03:45 PM)psanders71 Wrote: Made it out for a few hours yesterday evening... Ended up with 18 kokes with the largest right at 15".  Was a great evening on the water even though we were getting buzzed by joy riders the entire time.  Slingblades, hoochies/spinners, 35 to 50 feet down.

Where were most of your fish caught if you dont mind me asking? Great catch. Sorry about the joy riders and those who just dont know how to be courteous to other boats on the water.  Also, was any particular color better than the other? Again, Congratulations!!!
We did best between the dam and just South of the Juniper ramp... Pink and orange lures were working along with UV sling blades down 35 to 45 feet and going 1.2 to 1.5 mph.