Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat trouble at Lincoln Beach
This was my first time on the water this year. I hooked water up to it, and it fired right up in the driveway. But when I got to LB it would not run. Last fall I filled the gas tank up to the top with unleaded non ethanol and gas stabilizer. The key switch might be part of the problem. It says push in for choke. But the choke part won't work. It has always fired right up instantly. I just don't know anything about these new 4 srokes. It is a 40 hrs. Merc. Anyway it finally started and I left to fish the shallows. I used my electric trolling motor for three hours,  I got one 26 inches, 25 3/4" and a 24 but then nothing. so I went out to Bird. My motor fried up ok. I tried to get in the north side of Bird but I got hung up in the rocks. So I decided to go to the south side. And my motor would not start. So I had to make it all the way back with just my electric motor. There was no other  boats on the water. I made it to the north side of the LB channel when my battery died. It was shallow so I walked my boat as close as I could. And went and got my other battery in my truck. 
[Image: 20210506-114420.jpg][Image: 20210506-111715.jpg][Image: 20210506-111628.jpg]

That Motor Guide electric took a beating. I tore the transducer for my Helix 5 off the bottom of it in the rocks.

The motor might be sucking air because I pump the squeeze bubble hard, and then crank the motor and the bubble gets soft and empty again.
Bummer! At least you got out and had a few tugs. Too bad you didn't have a way to reach me at my home, I could have been there in 20 minutes to help you get in. I fish out there alone all time and often wonder what I would do if my motor conked out. The electric is probably good for a few miles in calm water but not suitable for rough water. I would probably hole up on shore some place and call for family reinforcements. I have a grandson who always fishes with me so I am never lonely when I fish alone but, still, the is some risk involved.

Anyway, hope you figure out the problem with you motor so you can make another trip after the kin of that Mortensen fish.
Same thing happened to my dad and I last year except we launched in AF and drove to bird island and then the boat wouldn't start. Used the trolling motor to get to LB and had my uncle go and get out truck from the boat harbor and drive it around. It takes a while to get from bird island to LB on the trolling motor. Sorry that happened to you.
I thought about calling Shawn, (obifishkenobi) and seeing if he could get hold of you Lynn or Craig. Shawn is the only one I have a phone number for. Besides TD. I don't do the internet on my phone. But it was a great day, no wind and I made it fine. Today I had the fuel line off, and was trying to disconnect my ignition switch and it kept firing up. I had to disconnect the battery to keep it from not firing. So I think that is the problem. I have a new switch to try when I get time today.
I would gladly have helped, but my boat is down with a battery problem. I'll pm you my number. I can get in touch with other regulars that live nearby. I've had to ask for help a few times and can always count on them.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

New switch and it runs great again.

My day at Lincoln Started bad, boat won't run, then when I did get going, I went flying across the water past Benjamin Slew and when I got up in the shallows by where I fish I backed off the throttle and Dakota went flying off the front of the boat. I was looking back for the mud to start churning up from the prop. That's how I know when it's getting shallow. But Dakota loves the water and falls out at least once a year. Then my front trolling motor was all out of wack. It took some time to get it all adjusted and going with the front arrow pointing right. And lifting in and out of the water some how the power plug to my front fish finder was dragging in the water. I found that out when I got out to Bird. And it caused one of the posts, pos. Or neg. to carode. And my Lowrance K2 4 that came with the boat would not even turn on. Not a fuse, dead.
But the thrill of that first cat, made everything worth it. I forgot to get a picture of it. But it was just over 26 and around 7 lbs. And fought so hard at one time he was around each of the anchor ropes. I was so excited to get it in the net. After that nothing could have ruined my day.
(05-08-2021, 08:52 PM)fast_randy Wrote: New switch and it runs great again.

My day at Lincoln Started bad, boat won't run, then when I did get going, I went flying across the water past Benjamin Slew and when I got up in the shallows by where I fish I backed off the throttle and Dakota went flying off the front of the boat. I was looking back for the mud to start churning up from the prop. That's how I know when it's getting shallow. But Dakota loves the water and falls out at least once a year. Then my  front trolling motor was all out of wack. It took some time to get it all adjusted and going with the front arrow pointing right. And lifting in and out of the water some how the power plug to my front fish finder was dragging in the water. I found that out when I got out to Bird. And it caused one of the posts, pos. Or neg. to carode. And my Lowrance K2 4 that came with the boat would not even turn on. Not a fuse, dead.
But the thrill of that first cat, made everything worth it. I forgot to get a picture of it. But it was just over 26 and around 7 lbs. And fought so hard at one time he was around each of the anchor ropes. I was so excited to get it in the net. After that nothing could have ruined my day.
Just saw this string I’m up in North Idaho this weekend, I’m glad you got your motor straightened out and caught few, I’m looking forward to hitting hard with you in a couple weeks.
Fast randy off you want my number in case anything goes wrong at LB then send me a PM. I'm about 20 minutes from there plus a little extra to get loaded on the truck and what not. But my boys and I can help.