Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mothers day at Willard
This morning had the feel of a great day on the water, 34 degrees with a light breeze, and it was Mothers day. Everything was lined up for good fishing, no bugs, and no skiers/surfers. Arriving at the North marina at 7:00 am revealed an empty parking lot........perfect.
[Image: KIMG0103.jpg]
I stopped at Anglers Den Saturday and bought a 9.5 ft Fenwick spinning rod and Penn reel so the first order of business was to break it in. After a couple hit and drops this cat held on long enough to pose for a photo.
[Image: KIMG0105.jpg]
It turned out to be my personal best solo day with 15 cats netted in 3 hrs. The fish must have sensed that they were loosing the fight and tried the tag-team approach because I had 4 doubles, which included the big fish of the day at 25+ inches and 6 lbs.
[Image: KIMG0106.jpg]
Everything was caught on my flat sided fligs in Shad and Rainbow trout patterns, tipped with sucker.
[Image: KIMG0107.jpg]
Since it was Mothers day and I can't gender identify a catfish, all kitty's were released to make more fish.
That reel looks like a spinfisher is it? I can't remember the other one it may be? Nonetheless it looks like a nice rod and reel combo. I bought 2 Penn reels last summer and love them. And boy did you get to break it in lol....nice going
Glad that you made it out ahead of tomorrow's possible rainy weather. Nice catches are great way to break in the new gear.
We're you just casting in open water, or working the dike, that's a small light lure.
Did you see other boats arrive and fish, must of been others show up later.
Mooseman,
Its a Battle 3. I have 3 Penn spinning reels and really like all of them.

Doitall,
I was trolling them on a Lindy rig. When I left at 10:00 there was about a dozen rigs in the parking lot.
Sounds right, nice to see the bite is getting better, and several techniques are starting to work.