Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sand Hollow Next Week
Is the spawn over, looks like a few nice days have strung together.

Just trying to decide what to pack for next week.

Thanks!
(05-10-2021, 01:46 PM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote: Is the spawn over, looks like a few nice days have strung together.

Thanks!
A few of my dads buddies went to sand hollow a few weeks ago and they had not even started yet. The water temp was still in the 40s. I think that if they have even started yet, it should be going still.
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
(05-10-2021, 01:46 PM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote: Is the spawn over, looks like a few nice days have strung together.

Thanks!
 Water temps have been in the mid to upper 50's for almost a month now, and recently hit 60+ the past week. They are staging everywhere right now...some up shallow doing their thing, some done and moved out, some still waiting to go up. Pick your poison! Warning...not a lot of vegetation under water this year, so plan on having plenty of company up in the shallows. We've been catching some monsters off beds over at Quail Creek as well, just another option for ya.
(05-10-2021, 06:44 PM)richyd4u Wrote:

Thanks!
 Water temps have been in the mid to upper 50's for almost a month now, and recently hit 60+ the past week. They are staging everywhere right now...some up shallow doing their thing, some done and moved out, some still waiting to go up. Pick your poison! Warning...not a lot of vegetation under water this year, so plan on having plenty of company up in the shallows. We've been catching some monsters off beds over at Quail Creek as well, just another option for ya.

Sounds like I'll bring the arsenal then. Should be able to break away for a day trip to QC, thanks for the advice!
(05-10-2021, 07:30 PM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote:

Thanks!

Sounds like I'll bring the arsenal then. Should be able to break away for a day trip to QC, thanks for the advice!
Hooked on Utah was down there last week. They caught a lot in shallow to mid-depths. Very sloooow retrieve & drag, not hops seemed to be the ticket.
TiteLines
That's awesome, thank you for the info.

Sometimes doing LESS is the hardest part of fishing.
I was there on the 28th - the day after that big rain storm. Nothing shallow then. Did best on a bunch of 2.5s using curly-tail grub (clear, black specks) on a drop shot in 15' but got one 4+ lber on a white chatterbait, same depth. Rainy and windy much of the day.

(I can heartily recommend the Sleep Inn there in Her'kn.)
Awesome thank you. I swear, grubs catch everything.

I also love the sleep in, this is going to be a truck camper trip though.

Sunday AM I plan on sneaking off to QC, then the rest of the time will be spent at SH. Hopefully I have something good to report after that time.

Thanks again!
(05-11-2021, 03:14 AM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote: Awesome thank you. I swear, grubs catch everything.

Sunday AM I plan on sneaking off to QC, then the rest of the time will be spent at SH. Hopefully I have something good to report after that time.

Thanks again!

We went to QC Sat for a family bday party, and luckily we were in the creek because it was blowing hard on the main lake! There were countless bass boats coming in and out of the creek, I imagine to escape the wind. Heard from them that most of the bass had finished and moved out. I fished SH Sun evening, again...blowing like crazy, but I managed several in the shallows, including a few big spawned-out females that would've been 2 pounds heavier a few weeks ago, lol. Hit the dams right before dark and managed some nice ones on traps and SBs.
(05-17-2021, 06:47 PM)richyd4u Wrote:
(05-11-2021, 03:14 AM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote: Awesome thank you. I swear, grubs catch everything.

Thanks again!

We went to QC Sat for a family bday party, and luckily we were in the creek because it was blowing hard on the main lake! There were countless bass boats coming in and out of the creek, I imagine to escape the wind. Heard from them that most of the bass had finished and moved out. I fished SH Sun evening, again...blowing like crazy, but I managed several in the shallows, including a few big spawned-out females that would've been 2 pounds heavier a few weeks ago, lol. Hit the dams right before dark and managed some nice ones on traps and SBs.

I appreciate it, I made it down here in one piece. Fishing was Hot! Hot! Hot! This morning...

T rigged hellgramite in light green with black flake and micro black flake brought in 13. A green watermelon kvd stick bait with black flake picked up 3 more. A dual shot aqua/brown grub picked up 7 additional.

Not bad for 3 hours on the lake.

Big storm just pushed in so well see what tomorrow brings....

One 8th ounce weight in everything. Everything came on the fall.

[Image: 20210517-154622.jpg]
The storm yesterday slowed the bite pretty significantly. The takes were absolutely feather light.

A mixture of ned rig, t rigged worms, small swimbait got it done.

Wrapped up sport fishing around 930. Took the family out for panfish and we got into some nice crappie and gills. Jig heads and worms about 20-30 FOW. Had no idea crappie were here.
(05-18-2021, 10:13 PM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote: The storm yesterday slowed the bite pretty significantly. The takes were absolutely feather light.

A mixture of ned rig, t rigged worms, small swimbait got it done.

Wrapped up sport fishing around 930. Took the family out for panfish and we got into some nice crappie and gills. Jig heads and worms about 20-30 FOW. Had no idea crappie were here.

Yeah, lots of crappie in SH...some really nice ones too. We were out there Mon as well, in the evening. Throwing rattletraps in the wind and catching all the bass we wanted, just no size really. Weirdest thing was we caught around 15 crappie while doing this, and these were not small rattletraps they were hitting. We caught a couple crappies in the 15" range, but most around 10-12". Just another crazy evening on SH...you never know what you're gonna get.
Sounds like we caught the same bass Monday night. I was throwing around a flicker minnow and my wife was dragging around the grub I showed above.

There was a tactical bassin episode where he was trying to show how to effectively use spinner baits for large mouth but kept reeling in dinner plate size crappie.

I ended up doing pretty good wedensday morning. Red curly tailed work, texas rigged.

Had to head back up north today , but had a blast this week.
(05-10-2021, 08:53 PM)TiteLines Wrote:
(05-10-2021, 07:30 PM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote:

Thanks!

Hooked on Utah was down there last week. They caught a lot in shallow to mid-depths. Very sloooow retrieve & drag, not hops seemed to be the ticket.
TiteLines

I wonder if they ever made a show of this - i havent seen it yet. This week was bass at deer creek. Makes me think they didnt get enough action to make a show.