Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Willard Trip.
Day number 3 of the "2021 Walleye Hunt" was frustrating again! So me and my dad went to Willard. We started at the inlet but everyone and there dog was there and no one was catching. So we retreated to the dikes. I got there, threw out the wiper rods and with my mind set on walleye, started casting jigs, spoons, and other traditional walleye lures around the rocks. After an hour of that, the wiper bite turned on so I git momentarily distracted with the wipers. My dad grabbed MY ROD and made 3 CASTS and caught another stinking walleye! I wasn't very happy. But he was...  Sad At least I got a wiper. But it was only about 12 inches...

Don't get me wrong, I love my dad but he cant be out fishing me TOO much LOL

So the hunt for a first walleye continues!
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
Dads are special like this, I never tried to out fish my dad. When he was catching so was I. Be humble and enjoy the time you have with your dad for he holds the knowledge that he will continue to pass down to you. It's not an overnight learning process but a lifetime of his knowledge he teaches you. You will have a day most likely to become a dad yourself and grandpa will be there also to show off that grandpa stuff.  
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Nice report, thank you.  My guess is perhaps your presentation is too fast. Its very easy to present too fast for walleye especially when you are excited.  Try slowing down, experiment with not even reeling until the jig hits the bottom, sometimes dead sticking is best. I find steady retrieve is typically better than bouncing. May also get more and better bites by taking the plastic off and fishing half a worm on the jighead, keep it straight and only half inch or so hanging off the hook. The bite is usually extremely light, if you feel anything different dont hesitate to set the hook. Good luck, hope you get one soon
LOL, the luck some people have! That's two more walleye for your dad than I've ever caught in Willard Bay! I'd like to know the secret as well.
(05-11-2021, 01:00 AM)Bduck Wrote: Dads are special like this, I never tried to out fish my dad. When he was catching so was I. Be humble and enjoy the time you have with your dad for he holds the knowledge that he will continue to pass down to you. It's not an overnight learning process but a lifetime of his knowledge he teaches you. You will have a day most likely to become a dad yourself and grandpa will be there also to show off that grandpa stuff.  
I agree 100% Thanks!
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.