Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keeping Bass?
(05-17-2021, 12:15 AM)Therapist Wrote:  Remember, those large fish have the genetics to produce big fish,  so if you take em out of the system, you are left with genetics that produce smaller fish.

I agree with Kent, I don't buy that conclusion. I think fish will grow to the size of the space they are in and if there are too many in that space they will never reach their full potential but that in no way means that their genetics change and they will only get so big once those smaller fish are removed. IMO taking out those larger and smaller fish are important because those bigger bass produce more offspring which crowds a already overflow of smaller fish. True a good number of those young of the year will be eaten but it still leaves more fish in a already crowded system, so removing some of those big female is a good thing, IMO. I think there should be a limit on how many of those bigger fish are kept but that is why there is a limit. Almost any man made lake in the West will do good in the first 10 or 15 yrs after they are built because of all the decomposing wood and other nutrients that are available. Unless it is a shallow, with a lot of weed growth, lakes that were once great fisheries, for species like bass, can become depleted of those nutrients that grew those big bass, so the size of those bigger fish declines as well. Of course it does not help when there is an over abundance of little bass competing for the available food but it is a big jump to say the genetics would change because of that.
I've read all the comments related to your post. IMHO, as long as you are abiding by the rules of the state for whatever fishery you catch fish at, then don't pay any attention to the "haters" opinions.  

For LMB specifically, I don't really consider Utah (especially north of Powell or Sand Hollow) a great warm water fishery state. Species like LMB are here in several places, that's for sure. But after fishing in south Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, where we rated LMB and other fish by weight not length.  When I first got here and read the fishing proclamation and it said something like I could only keep a certain number of LMB, and only one LMB that was over 15 inches,  I was stunned to think anyone would want to keep ANY LMB that was 15 inches or less. 

Anyway, follow the state rules as you seem to have been, release what you want if it's not mortally wounded, keep what you want and what you are legally allowed. 

As to eating LMB. I've eaten many LMB, quite a few Peacock Bass (in Panama) lots of SMB, Wiper (that I had never heard of before getting here) quite a few Walleye, and many, many Channel Cats.   I have liked them all.  
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Working with fisheries managers and biologist on and off for years has taught me several things.  First, you can't manage fish if you don't have water.  This year may test that. 

Second, all waters have a "biomass" limit.  Biomass is the total mass, call it pounds of animal/fish, that it can sustain.  It is determined by the fertility of the water.  You can have lots of small fish, you can have a few large fish, you can, on rare, and frequently on a temporary basis, have a good mix of all sizes.  Some natural lakes develop the good mix of all sizes but IMHO to get it for normal fishing lakes and reservoirs you need to have "management".

Are bass good tasting, yes.  In fact, I prefer them to trout.  I don't keep very many, but I don't keep very many trout either.  Now, walleye?  My wife would make me sleep outside if I did not bring home walleye now and then.

So, how about releasing bass.  I agree that catch and release has helped sustain many fisheries, but it has hurt many as well.

In the early 80's I could fish the lower Provo and I would catch maybe a half dozen browns a day, but many would be over 24", some up to 30".  Now I can (when I feel like minnows) catch a couple dozen browns but seldom catch one over 14".  We have loved (catch and release) it to death.  Too many fish for the food and space available.  The middle Provo is so bad that the state is experimenting with allowing bait fishing there to reduce the population.  The Blacksmith Fork is another example.  Jordonelle is a great example of too many SMB being released.  I don't concur that taking the large spawners out of Jordonelle was the problem: it takes many decades to degrade the genetics but only a few years of overpopulation to stunt the fish.  When the perch die-off happened, the remaining perch never had a chance to keep up with all of the mouths, and the lack of willing fishermen to help reduce the numbers, we are left us with Wiper and Tiger Muskie to try to reduce SMB numbers.

Even in Louisiana, the result of C&R is that they now allow up to 50 (fifty) bass a day on some lakes to try to fix the balance. 

Most of our community pounds are designed for the low skilled fishermen or the ones limited to time.  For the most part they are designed for put and take, and they do encourage releasing the bass.  I have heard of a couple of community pounds that are now overpopulated with bass (don't fish the community ponds so I don't pay attention).

Here is my humble opinionFollow the regulations.  The fisheries managers will react to the change of populations as best they can.  Believe it or not, most of them actually do know more about what is going on they we do.  Second, if you wish to keep a fish (in this case bass), please eat what you keep.  Fish is a healthy and sustainable protein source.

Now, to respond to the "if cooked right".  Bass are a low oil fish while trout are high oil.  If you cook a bass like you cook your trout, you will probably be disappointed.  But, if you cook a catfish like a trout you will likely feel the same.  Some of my suggestions for simple preparations.

Trout: Fillet, keep skin on, remove pin bones.  Get a cast iron pan with a little peanut oil quite hot.  Salt and pepper the trout fillets (Lemmon pepper and or garlic optional).  Place fillets skin down to crisp skin.  Turn over and finish cooking a minute or two more until the flesh is opaque and done.  Serve with lemon wedge.

Bass, Crappie, Perch, even Walleye:  Fillet, removing skin.  Make a mix of 50% corn meal, 50% all purpose flour.  For two cups of this mixture, add a teaspoon of baking powder if you like it more "fluffy".  Replace AP flour with Rice Flour for a unique and crispy texture.  Salt and pepper to taste.  You can add only a small amount of cooking oil in a pan or more oil to deep fry.  Cook on both sides until done and golden brown. 

Carp, Sucker, Chub:  Yes, you can eat this, but I won't.  Fillet and remove skin.  Remove the blood line and any belly flesh.  Soak in buttermilk for at least one hour, overnight is best.  Carp can be super thick so cutting the fillets in to thinner pieces is preferred.  Cook like Bass....

Catfish, even bullheads: Fillet and remove the skin.  Soak in regular milk for 10 to 15 minutes.  Cook like Bass.....

Yes, haters are everywhere.  If only one in a thousand are haters, once it is on the internet the shear volume of people will mean that several, or dozens, will potentially be a hater.  It is, what it is.
(05-17-2021, 01:50 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(05-17-2021, 12:15 AM)Therapist Wrote: You are not going to hurt the SMB population by keeping a limit of 8-10 inch fish, infact you will be helping it.  Our SMB populations are stunted in many waters, Lake Powell, Rockport, Echo, etc. so keeping those smaller ones will not hurt the population.  It is keeping the 2-3 lb fish that hurts the recruitment.  Jordanelle is a case in point.  It was producing 5-6lb SMB in it's early years,  but people would keep all those large females and the size of the average fish is small now.  Remember, those large fish have the genetics to produce big fish,  so if you take em out of the system, you are left with genetics that produce smaller fish.

Got any reliable articles to back up your conclusions?

No articles, but 50+ years of experience, lots of conversations with Wayne Gustevason and Ryno with the DWR.  The basics of fisheries management include genetics, statistics, and plain ol experience.  Question??  Why do we never see an increase in size of the WB in Utah lake??  With the numbers of fish kept each year, you would think that there would be an increase in size !!  Now with the reduction of the carp population, should be more to eat, better habitat, hence an increase in size.  Nope,  because those fish have had poor genetics inbred to the point that 12-13 inches is the max.  Get some new genes from the midwest where they grow to 2-3 lbs, then you might get and increase in the size.  Although they use WB from Utah lake to produce Wipers,  the growth comes from the Striper genes and the hybrid vigor of the hybridization process!  Most hybrids have that, look at Tiger Trout, Tiger Muskies, etc.
The numbers of white bass in UL are so large that if every fisherman took 50 it would not help.  Yes, improvement of fertility and reduction of carp will allow more nutrients to be up-taken by plants, than invertebrates, then the white bass.  Still, far too many fish, far too little cover, far too few predators that can eat an adult WB.
(05-12-2021, 11:09 PM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote: I personally don't like the taste of bass. Lots of people do.

It's the internet, people are tough. Whether its because they have no other outlet for their anger, or are just unhappy in their life.

I get a little hot under the collar what I see people positing egg filled walleyes, but have never been compelled enough to tell another person how to live their life.

If you wanna eat it, and it's legal to keep. Keep it.

I'm with ya on ''don't like the taste of bass.
To me they taste as though they have been basted in motor oil
I don't think it has been the waters where we have caught em.  Lots rave about the Gorge SM but to me they seem worse there than some of the other places we've sampled em.

Good thing were all diff.
And my wife says that bass are milder and tastier than trout species. Go figure.