Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catch and Release vs Keep?
The recent post about keeping a bass and receiving a lot of hate for doing so is what inspired this post. I spend a lot of time fishing, and talking with other fishermen, as well as fish biologist. In fact, one of my closest hunting partner's is a fish biologist with over 30 years experience. So even though we are hunting often our conversations are about fishing. One thing I have come to learn is despite the popularity of catch and release there are times when it causes more harm than good to a fishery. Any body of water where the fish are stunted, or over populated, whether it's bass, perch, bluegill, brook trout or what have you, releasing fish is not going to help the situation. With that said I release 99% of what I catch. I know that seems hypocritical. However, it's not because I feel some moral obligation to do so. I don't care much for the taste of most fresh water fish, but I love to catch them. The only real exceptions being I like burbot-ling, and once in a great while, I will keep a tiger trout or two to eat. I generally avoid areas that have stunted fish, or more specifically I avoid targeting them. It's because I do feel guilty putting them back, but I have absolutely no use for them if I keep them. I wish more fishermen/women would educate themselves on the upside and downside of catch and release fishing. I can honestly say I have zero problem with people keeping their legal limit of fish. I do have a problem with people telling me what I should or shouldn't do with the fish I catch though.

This site has a good cross section of people that fish quite a bit. I'm am curious what are some of y'alls thoughts are on catch and release vs keep?
I feel much the same way regarding trout specifically. I don't care to eat them, but love to catch them. I will keep a few brookies now and then because I do enjoy them and they remind me of trips with my Grandpa. Pan fish I do enjoy eating and will keep enough for a meal, but my oldest and I are the only ones who eat fish in my house. I rarely keep a limit of any type of fish, I might make an exception for walleye...
How each of us chooses to conduct ourselves on the water is akin to religion.  I allow everybody else to do whatever makes them happy...but anybody who tries to tell me that I should only do what they do is asking for some serious backlash.

You are 100% keerect on the stunting thing.  A good example is the Provo River below Deer Creek.  I first started fishing it in the 1960s.  Hit it almost every evening through the summer.  Most trips produced 20 or more trout.  Most were browns, with only a few rainbows and a few whitefish.  It was rare to catch many browns under about 14 to 16 inches.  A high percentage were 18 to 20 inchers...with over 20s being caught on most trips.  I do like trout so I often kept a couple in the middle range for broiling.

My fishing buddy and myself fished mostly flies...sometimes on flyrods...sometimes on a bottom bouncing rig with a spinning rod.  We also used spinners and small cranks like Rapalas.  But the river was also open to bait fishing and there were always plenty of guys chucking worms or Velveeta cheese.  And they caught and kept a bunch of fish of all sizes.  There was a good amount of harvest but the stream was healthy and could feed a lot of fish.  In those days there were still abundant stone flies in the river.

I lived in Arizona for about 20 years and returned to Utah in 2004...after the current regulations went into effect.  Couldn't wait to get back to my old fave Provo River.  But a couple of trips then have kept me away since.  First of all, the average size of the fish was much smaller...and the fish a bit skinnier.  Second, when I tried to bottom bounce flies using my 9 foot (converted fly rod) spinning rod the Orvis dorks started frothing at the mouth that I would inflict such sacrilege on their precious stream.  Plus, they lined all of my fave spots so I had to be content with a few less productive spots.  And don't get me started on the flotilla of weirdos bobbing merrily through my fishing spots in their inner tubes and other floaties. 

I love to eat most species of fish and almost always keep something for the table.  But only if it is a sustainable fishery with good natural reproduction and adequate food resources to maintain good numbers and good growth rates.  I have trips when I keep nothing.  And other trips I keep a limit of the available species.  And nothing goes to waste.  That's my religion.  Hallelujah!  
Over the years I have keep many limits of all types of fish but during those years I learned that some fish I enjoy eating more. Because of this I only keep certain fish and if I get a chance I will keep a limit of those fish, all other fish are catch and release. I have no issues with anyone that keeps a limit of any fish but it's Sad to me when people keep smaller sterile fish because they will not reproduce and once they are removed, they will never reach their full potential. I would not dare say anything to someone that chooses to keep those fish but it does not stop me from feeling the way I do.
I grew up in post WW-II times when by Gawd you kept and ate everything you could. Including carp. Even today, I cannot switch "religions" easily, and I keep my legal limit - on the rare occasions when I actually catch any at all.

I was elated to move West and fish for the exalted trout. Did that for a decade or so before I came to realize that I didn't much enjoy it, and they didn't taste all that good, either. So...back to the white-fleshed species I knew and love. All of 'em.
Heh.. I'm not good enough at catching to have an impact. Smile

Me and my family keep what we catch (unless it's really small, and provided we can release it without my son seeing or he'll throw a fit) and we eat what we keep. We're trying to catch enough of a variety that we can actually see what tastes best, but right now we're pretty limited. As to beliefs on it, mine is that I'll do what works for me, and everyone else can do what they feel comfortable with. Some enjoy fishing as a sport, some as a food source and I'm no one to judge for anyone else.
The way I see it, limits are here for a reason and if the division of wildlife resources didn't want you keeping fish it would be strictly catch and release. It's the same as someone getting mad at you for buying two candy bars and eating them both. But in all reality everyone is titled to their opinions and I can respect that. But no matter what people say, it actually can be really good for fisheries especially stunted ponds. I live 10 minutes from the Bountiful Pond which is insanely stunted with 10 inch Bass. So I like to keep my limit of 10 to 12 in bass every once in a while.
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
I grew up in Ogden eating a variety of local fish that my dad caught. It was, and still seems, the norm to me because I enjoy cooking and eating fish, even trout.
I don't always keep them, and won't unless I am confident I will cook them within the next day or two while still fairly fresh.
I have found that once a fish hits the freezer, it's a lot less likely to be thawed and cooked, and I do not want to waste something I've decided to keep.
I have a friend who has truly become a great fly fisherman (we used to clean up on the Ogden as kids flipping Panthers and Rapalas) he has never been one to keep fish, and that's OK too.
To each their own, as long as keeping within legal limit. 
Catch and release is fine if you know for sure the fish is just lipped and not bleeding. We were down to Otter Creek last week and were with overcomem with small planters, I had several that were just hooked in the mouth area and tried to turn them lose. they would act ok and Id let them go they would swim 10 to 15 feet go belly up and just lay there. after 2 or 3 of these incidents I told the wife that I think the fish were too small to fight after they were caught.We were able to recover two of those fish and I seen a pelican grab the other one for a snack. Another thing I would like too point out to all you other fisherman is that a brass and a composite hook well never disintegrate in a fish . So if you cut the hook off next too the mouth its probably only going too starve too death. This is just my opinion. Ive only fished for 65 years and I might be wrong. Thank you from fellow fisherman.
I keep, I go Fishing because I want to eat a Fish dinner.
I keep certain fish for dinner, others I release, unless they are hooked bad then they'll find their way to the table or given to someone.
My family loves to eat fish! I love to fish places where the fish are native and wild! Therefore I do not keep. I get into trouble when I come home from fishing with no fish! So, I stock up in the fall on lake trout pups and everyone is happy!
Pat,

"There was a good amount of harvest but the stream was healthy and could feed a lot of fish.  In those days there were still abundant stone flies in the river."

What happened to all the stone flies?  I made a screen to catch some.  I could find nothing.  My theory is the run off from Heber and Midway from lawns being sprayed with bug killer is destroying the hatch... I can't prove it, but the Provo below DC is sick when it should be healthy.  

Matthew
(05-26-2021, 09:17 PM)Outfishing13 Wrote: Pat,

"There was a good amount of harvest but the stream was healthy and could feed a lot of fish.  In those days there were still abundant stone flies in the river."

What happened to all the stone flies?  I made a screen to catch some.  I could find nothing.  My theory is the run off from Heber and Midway from lawns being sprayed with bug killer is destroying the hatch... I can't prove it, but the Provo below DC is sick when it should be healthy.  

Matthew

Several of our formerly healthy Utah streams have seen a demise of the stonefly population.  And on some streams the decline is directly related to the increase in human habitation and businesses in the drainage emptying into the streams.  This is especially evident where there are still stoneflies above the "developed" stream surroundings.  Yes, the lower Provo is a good example of an abused trout stream.  Too many driveways and gutters spilling nasty stuff which ultimately ends up in the Provo.  And I'm sure all of the rafters and tubers going down the river contribute some unhealthy additives.

There used to be stoneflies almost all the way to Utah Lake.  In the early 1960's I actually caught a lot of catfish in the lower lower Provo, around Madsen bend, by bouncing a big stonefly nymph down into the holes below faster water.  The cats would come up out of Utah Lake each spring...first to spawn and then to feast on the big bugs.  They would quickly chomp not only a real insect but any good fly imitation.  Occasionally a large brown would interrupt my cat quest for a little exercise.  Caught several over 5 pounds one year.  Even caught some post-spawn walleyes on the bugs.
(05-13-2021, 03:51 PM)TubeDude Wrote: How each of us chooses to conduct ourselves on the water is akin to religion.  I allow everybody else to do whatever makes them happy...but anybody who tries to tell me that I should only do what they do is asking for some serious backlash.

You are 100% keerect on the stunting thing.  A good example is the Provo River below Deer Creek.  I first started fishing it in the 1960s.  Hit it almost every evening through the summer.  Most trips produced 20 or more trout.  Most were browns, with only a few rainbows and a few whitefish.  It was rare to catch many browns under about 14 to 16 inches.  A high percentage were 18 to 20 inchers...with over 20s being caught on most trips.  I do like trout so I often kept a couple in the middle range for broiling.

My fishing buddy and myself fished mostly flies...sometimes on flyrods...sometimes on a bottom bouncing rig with a spinning rod.  We also used spinners and small cranks like Rapalas.  But the river was also open to bait fishing and there were always plenty of guys chucking worms or Velveeta cheese.  And they caught and kept a bunch of fish of all sizes.  There was a good amount of harvest but the stream was healthy and could feed a lot of fish.  In those days there were still abundant stone flies in the river.

I lived in Arizona for about 20 years and returned to Utah in 2004...after the current regulations went into effect.  Couldn't wait to get back to my old fave Provo River.  But a couple of trips then have kept me away since.  First of all, the average size of the fish was much smaller...and the fish a bit skinnier.  Second, when I tried to bottom bounce flies using my 9 foot (converted fly rod) spinning rod the Orvis dorks started frothing at the mouth that I would inflict such sacrilege on their precious stream.  Plus, they lined all of my fave spots so I had to be content with a few less productive spots.  And don't get me started on the flotilla of weirdos bobbing merrily through my fishing spots in their inner tubes and other floaties. 

I love to eat most species of fish and almost always keep something for the table.  But only if it is a sustainable fishery with good natural reproduction and adequate food resources to maintain good numbers and good growth rates.  I have trips when I keep nothing.  And other trips I keep a limit of the available species.  And nothing goes to waste.  That's my religion.  Hallelujah!  
pretty much sums up why i gave up slimer fishin the prov's
and developed a carp addiction
i gots a bro who works fer orvis
he aint a dork though Wink
maybe catch ya at church some day
ebisu be praised
[Image: ebesu.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
(06-01-2021, 12:00 PM)fishskibum Wrote: pretty much sums up why i gave up slimer fishin the prov's
and developed a carp addiction
i gots a bro who works fer orvis
he aint a dork though Wink
maybe catch ya at church some day
ebisu be praised
[Image: ebesu.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
I have been knowed to worship at the Church of the Seventh Day Angler.

Not all folks who use Orvis gear are dorks.  But there are a lot of dorks who use Orvis in the unfounded belief that it will not make them seem so dorkish.  Some folks are born dorks.  Others have dorkism thrust upon them.
LOL - I have an explanation for that.  

A man once bought a $150 K sportscar.  The car was everything he wanted, gorgeous, super fast, all the ladies loved it, etc., etc.  It had only one problem, it was in the shop more than on the road.

Now, one day the mechanic asked the man if that car was a good car.  The man said, yes, the best car I have ever owned, as he walked over to his Chevy truck to go home and wait for the repairs to be done.

My thoughts are that if you spend $150 K for a car, and it turns out to be less than expected, you paid so much you will never admit it.  You will even defend your mistake.

Orvis does not cost $150 K, but they are one of the more expensive brands.  I own some Orvis, but I did not spend top dollar for it.

So, why do some Orvis owners act the way they do?  Ask the sportscar owner above.