Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2021 Willard Bay trip #13
15 May 2021  Armed Forces Day.  

Thanks and respect to all that have served in US Armed Forces. 

Due to wacky weather and a personal medical issue it's been about 2 weeks since I got out on Willard. 
I got on the water today later than I usually like (1200 P.M.). South marina was already busy with anglers on the rocks, in boats, yaks, and I think I saw at least 1 tube but the water was fairly choppy and it was at a distance, so may have been one of the power squadrons water toys.  

Had a quick "hello" at the dock with another BFT'er.  Got headed out of the marina at 1205 p.m.  

[Image: 031-Trip-13-15-May-21-skunked.jpg]

From the marina out the water looked to only have a mild chop.  I was intending to head out toward the "openness" to try for a Walleye or two.  But about half way past the island area, the wind picked up, and for my little boat was too much. 

[Image: 032-windy-day.jpg]

I hoist my Flag on the boat in honor of national holidays, and to act as a "wind sock" . It's a fairly heavy fabric flag and if I'm not running with the motor at speed and that flag is standing straight out, it is just about too windy for my liking.  Well it was just below my normal decision point of heading back for the marina. There weren't any white caps yet, and the wind was blowing from north-ish which allowed me to pull broadside to it, put out my 2 lines and drift back towards the south wall. 
 That worked for about an hour but wind came up to a white cap stage and was pushing me over 1 mph with more side rock than I care for. So I retreated back to the marina.  Barely got back into more calm waters and the wind calmed a bit and shifted to out of the north east.  I headed back out and got several fairly good drifts with several pop and drops on my crawdad colored lipless crank, and a couple more hit and strip (bait) on my raw shrimp.  
By 2:30 the combination of wind and large number of power squadron decide me to call it a day.  No fish were injured today (unless there were some wounded lips).  

After being stuck in the house almost 2 weeks, at least today was a good chance to get back out. 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(05-15-2021, 10:45 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: 15 May 2021  Armed Forces Day.  

Thanks and respect to all that have served in US Armed Forces. 

Due to wacky weather and a personal medical issue it's been about 2 weeks since I got out on Willard. 
I got on the water today later than I usually like (1200 P.M.). South marina was already busy with anglers on the rocks, in boats, yaks, and I think I saw at least 1 tube but the water was fairly choppy and it was at a distance, so may have been one of the power squadrons water toys.  

Had a quick "hello" at the dock with another BFT'er.  Got headed out of the marina at 1205 p.m.  

From the marina out the water looked to only have a mild chop.  I was intending to head out toward the "openness" to try for a Walleye or two.  But about half way past the island area, the wind picked up, and for my little boat was too much. 

I hoist my Flag on the boat in honor of national holidays, and to act as a "wind sock" . It's a fairly heavy fabric flag and if I'm not running with the motor at speed and that flag is standing straight out, it is just about too windy for my liking.  Well it was just below my normal decision point of heading back for the marina. There weren't any white caps yet, and the wind was blowing from north-ish which allowed me to pull broadside to it, put out my 2 lines and drift back towards the south wall. 
 That worked for about an hour but wind came up to a white cap stage and was pushing me over 1 mph with more side rock than I care for. So I retreated back to the marina.  Barely got back into more calm waters and the wind calmed a bit and shifted to out of the north east.  I headed back out and got several fairly good drifts with several pop and drops on my crawdad colored lipless crank, and a couple more hit and strip (bait) on my raw shrimp.  
By 2:30 the combination of wind and large number of power squadron decide me to call it a day.  No fish were injured today (unless there were some wounded lips).  

After being stuck in the house almost 2 weeks, at least today was a good chance to get back out. 

Glad you were able to get out Forest, sorry to hear about your medical issues, hope everything turned out OK. Thanks for your service as well.
Forest, it will be good to see you back on the bay.

Larry