Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Things are warming up at Utah Lake
ES:  Pre-dawn arrival at the Lincoln ramp was at about 4:30. Water temp was 63 in the harbor and channel depth about 3.5 feet. First got some whites for bait and then fished shallow from 1.2 to 3 FOW. Mostly strolled, but added in a little still fishing along the reeds. I averaged 3 cats/hour all ranging from 19 to 27.5 inches. Caught a carp out of a pod, so more than half the fish came on fresh carp and less on WB. At about 6:30 P.M. I pulled the baits and got into a decent NW wind heading back to the harbor. A fun, solid day, but I probably stayed longer than I should have. Next day my arms were sore from all the tugging. They are getting back in shape though. 

FS:  I got out and had some fun at Utah Lake on Saturday. Julie was out of town so I got up really early and headed out of Lincoln and up into the Goshen Bay Arm. The plan was to stop at a rocky spot that hosts some of the spring fling for whites and get some bait well before daylight and then hit the shallows for cats early enough to maybe find some big ones still cruising from the night of feeding.  

I have caught lots of whites in the dark so it seemed like a solid plan. Maybe they don’t show up to spawn in the dark much. I spent more than an hour in the dark tossing jigs with only one tap, and I missed it. Just as it was getting good and light, (and I was about to give up and use the frozen bait I had brought) I caught one and then 6 more in the next 20 minutes. Note to self, get another hour of sleep next time. 

With plenty of bait I headed farther south and started dragging WB in the goose point area. The first cat hit about 10 minutes later, roughly 6:30 A.M. A two foot cookie cutter that would seemingly set the tone for the day. The water temp was still about 63 degrees and the cats had plenty of fight.  I released 4 in the first hour and they were all 24 to 26 inches. On the day, two thirds of the fish were 5 pounds or more and at least a third were 6 to 9 pounds…lots of tugging and fun.  

I had dragged a jig in the shallows a week ago and concluded that the whites had left for the frolic in the harder bottom areas, since several hours had produced not even a bump. Today I was seeing lots of carp pods and I wondered if the lack of whites in the area would make the cats key on carp more. I switched one rig from a cat rod to an ultralight with a bobber and two small worm chunks about a foot under it. On the third pod I cast to (not to be Confused with a podcast) the bobber went under and the battle was on. I was hoping for a smallish carp, but it was a more typical 5 pounder. They are great fun on light tackle and as luck would have it this one was somehow hooked near the tail. 5 minutes of tugging and it was netted, then dispatched and rendered into chunks of bait. 

I have rarely caught more or even as many cats on carp as WB, but today was different. The next 3 fish all hit the carp and I was just about to switch over completely when I got a 27.5 inch cat on a WB head. That was the biggest of the trip and weighed in at just over 9 pounds. I stayed with mixed baits the rest of the trip, but the carp meat was a better producer for total numbers. 

It was an interesting wind day. Several times the wind was calm and then it blew whitecaps. First out of the south and then out of the north, then calm again. The last wave came as I was heading for the ramp, it was NW and strong enough to build decent waves. I was glad to get back to the ramp just as they got big enough that I had to slow down to keep from getting battered and drenched.  

By mid-afternoon the water had reached nearly 70 degrees in the shallows and some of the cats were going air born when they felt the sting of the hook. I love this time of year in the shallows. Almost reminds me of steelhead back in Oregon. 

The fish came in little waves at a rate of 4 or so an hour all through the day until about 4:30 P.M. From then until my 6:30 departure the lake seemed barren. I mostly dragged baits at 0.7 to 1 MPH, but twice when the wind was too high I anchored and tossed baits to the reed edge. The fish there seemed just as cooperative as the ones I found dragging and were more likely to catch some air when first hooked. 

There were lots of signs that spring is giving way. Some carp frolicking in the shallows, a few redwing blackbirds singing, a pair of blue herons cruising together and I saw half a dozen waves of Canada geese coming by headed farther north. Prime catfish time is almost here! 

[Image: 6-quick-whites.jpg]

[Image: 27.jpg]

[Image: Clown.jpg]

[Image: Darkest.jpg]

[Image: Going-North.jpg]

[Image: More-Bait.jpg]

Good report Jim. You make it fun to read. Glad your day was successful.

Vi and I were going to go out this morning but when I got up from bed I found a note saying no fishing today. Vi had been up all night with the flu.

Thanks for posting.
rj
A "podcast"?? That's pretty bad Jim.  Wink

I have only  been out a few times this year because of the wind and cold. Last trip, about two weeks ago, the water temp flirted with 60 degrees but most of the deeper water was 57-59. I have been saying "one more week" now for the past month and a half. Good to hear that you had some luck and some warm water.

I found white bass from the shore at Mulberry, kinda slow but enough for some bait and some fun. I like all of the sights and sounds out there, the geese, ducks, ospreys, and other wildlife. I had a mouse-colored mama mink slink past me last week with a black kit in her mouth. Thought she had caught a mouse or a vole at first glance but definitely a family on the move.

Wind go away! More and more aware every day of how dangerous it can be on the big pond. Looking forward to hitting it hard soon... maybe one more week.
Great report and fun to read. How many times have we all said " I could have got an extra hour of sleep"?

Do you scale your carp when using it for cut bait and do you like chunkier pieces or long strips?
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Great report Jim. I always enjoy your reads. Hope to read another soon. I'm going on vacation next week so I won't have any after the one we had today for two weeks or so
Great report Jim, and sounds like a fun day... glad you got some sore arms to nurse better... Thanks for the report... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Thank you for the good news BLK. Sounds like they're finally getting active. I have never bothered to try to catch the white bass for bait. You know I mostly use fresh shrimp, however I love fresh carp when I can get it. I think it might be better than my shrimp.
(05-18-2021, 07:18 PM)r2u2 Wrote: Good report Jim. You make it fun to read. Glad your day was successful.

Vi and I were going to go out this morning but when I got up from bed I found a note saying no fishing today. Vi had been up all night with the flu.

Thanks for posting.
rj

Thanks Richard, I hope you guys get out there soon. The south needs you and it sounds like you guys could use some fun too! I hope she gets better real soon.

(05-18-2021, 07:25 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: A "podcast"?? That's pretty bad Jim.  Wink

I have only  been out a few times this year because of the wind and cold. Last trip, about two weeks ago, the water temp flirted with 60 degrees but most of the deeper water was 57-59. I have been saying "one more week" now for the past month and a half. Good to hear that you had some luck and some warm water.

I found white bass from the shore at Mulberry, kinda slow but enough for some bait and some fun. I like all of the sights and sounds out there, the geese, ducks, ospreys, and other wildlife. I had a mouse-colored mama mink slink past me last week with a black kit in her mouth. Thought she had caught a mouse or a vole at first glance but definitely a family on the move.

Wind go away! More and more aware every day of how dangerous it can be on the big pond. Looking forward to hitting it hard soon... maybe one more week.

Hey Lynn, sorry about the bad joke. When I was a kid my best friend and I used to have contests to see who could make up the worst jokes and get the most booo's. I guess the habit still lingers! 

I hear you about the wind. I'm still wondering what happened to thse two guys on the Jet Ski that didn't make it home even with life jackets on. 

I was cooming off the lake at the sme time they were leaving from the knolls. The water was getting a little rough, but I would not have thought it cold enough to be a big problem. However I tend to forget that I only see the surface temp and a good NW wind brings up the colder water underneath. Really Sad about them!

(05-18-2021, 08:35 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Great report and fun to read. How many times have we all said " I could have got an extra hour of sleep"?

Do you scale your carp when using it for cut bait and do you like chunkier pieces  or long strips?

Thanks CP! I don't mind giving up sleep when I guess right and it is helpful to the trip, but when I guess wrong I still think I should learn something ha ha.

I have done carp both ways and I haven't seen much difference in the results. I'm not a regular user though, as I said. Tubedude scales his I think and he's got a lot more experience with it as a bait. I do however remove a few scales so I can get the hook through, those things are tough!

As for the size, I used it on my bigger bait rigs. That means two hooks about 4 or 5 inches apart. The front one is larger, the back one is smaller and holds a much smaller piece of bait. Kind a like a stinger hook with bait. It seems to help with two things. When the fish are not aggressively feeding I get 2/3 of them on the "stinger." Also, I catch a reasonable number of white bass on the back hook, at least I have on WB chunks.

The downside it when the fish are really aggressive, I sometimes end up with the stinger way deep in a cat and have to cut it off to release the fish.

(05-19-2021, 01:10 AM)Mooseman75 Wrote: Great report Jim. I always enjoy your reads. Hope to read another soon. I'm going on vacation next week so I won't have any after the one we had today for two weeks or so

Thanks Justin! Hope you have a good vacation. When you get back from you trip I hope you're going to be able to get some fish slime on your new boat!

(05-19-2021, 12:54 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Great report Jim, and sounds like a fun day... glad you got some sore arms to nurse better... Thanks for the report... Jeff

Thanks Jeff! I haven't been as good this year about reports. I'm running into a time crunch trying to edit video and get a report done. This time I opted to bag the video so I could report before I forgot what happened. The editing time also keeps me from reading as much on the forum. I hope you have been getting out and having fun before the farming takes over your "free time."

I'm new to the video thing but I have recently learned a few things that should significantly reduce the time.
Hey Jim, I keep thinking about doing the video thing as well, but I guess lack of knowledge or time keeps me away from it... I do like the format, they are fun to watch... I need to find where your's are located so i can add you to my watch list.. Thanks Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Do you like fishing fishing with the Spin Glo?  My dad got me a bunch from Alaska when he came down to visit last November. I am looking forward to using them.  
Matthew
Jim uses them a great deal. He has shared with me and they are among the best rigs going for UL channel cats. I'm sure he will chime in and tell you all about them when he gets time.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.