Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange things going on Deer creek
I started the morning in my float tube on the Charleston side of the lake. Water temp 58 air temp 38. Water is way low already. The island is almost not an island. Did not see much activity on the sonar and even less on the fishing pole. I took a short break for a nap. I met up with a friend and we trolled all over the Charleston arm. On his boat same song and dance, except we covered lots more water than I did in my tube. One hit trolling after 4 hours of effort. Usually you can find trout, bass, perch, crappie, and of course my favorite the walleye. Not much weed growth to speak of except in very shallow water. The only fish I did see were carp and couple of largemouth bass in the shallows. Maybe the fish understand the stress of low water far more than we can understand. I have never seen this on Deer creek in Charleston. This year is gonna be diffrent. So throw out the normal you usually expect at Deer creek. I have only fished Deer creek for 13 years, but this is so strange.
Hey that sounds like my outing on Saturday, if figured it was just because I didn't have this new boat trained yet, I hit all my spots, can only say I had a couple hits, did see one boat catch an eye drifting in the waves, I searched for a good weed line also, it is defiantly not the same with the lower water.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Low? That's odd. The BuRec chart shows Deer Creek 82% full as of 5/17. See Link https://www.usbr.gov/uc/water/basin/

I believe eyewitnesses, but that's a huge discrepancy. Especially with what they claim is the most recent update.
I imagine the fish are into the transition to feeding heavily and have moved into shallow water for the warmth and the food. The lack of weed growth is a good thing and you should be able to cast plastics in shallow like 3-5 feet of water and catch these fish. 

I have learned if you're not seeing fish out in deeper water then they are probably shallow. 

I haven't been up to deer creek this year yet. Willard is turning on and it's hard to break me away from there until the massive shad hatch turns fishing slow. Then we will be hitting it. 

Good luck next time out. 

fnf Cool
I agree with fishin fool the fish could be in the warming shallows. I like it when water temps hit above 60 out on the flats. Usually I start around the first week of June and do well. But it’s hard to leave Willard right now as good as it has been for walleyes with a bonus cat and a few wipers.
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
Usually Deer Creek is 100% full at this time of year so 82% will seem low. Over the past two weeks the level of the water has dropped three feet and when it is dropping that fast the fish tend to move out to deeper water. I hope that this draw down is for the June sucker spawn and that the pattern doesn't continue for the summer.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
I tried the shallow water too. It was like a ghost town there as well. Usually at least trout, smallmouth, something is out there. We tried shallow in the boat too. You dont have to believe me if you dont choose to, but if I go back it will be in some of my other tried and true spots, not Charleston.
Gabe
(05-20-2021, 06:29 PM)Mildog Wrote: I agree with fishin fool the fish could be in the warming shallows. I like it when water temps hit above 60 out on the flats. Usually I start around the first week of June and do well. But it’s hard to leave Willard right now as good as it has been for walleyes with a bonus cat and a few wipers.

I see you have been into some fish but it's been ,for me ,lots of hunting and no finding..  
I will burn some more gas next week.. but
 I'm going camping this week.  Hopping I can beat the crowd down to Bryce canyon.
Well, we have votes for the fish being shallow and a vote for the fish being deep.
I vote that the fish are where you find them!!
I think that is 100% accurate!! Good luck to all get out there and catch some!!
Mildog
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(05-20-2021, 11:02 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Well, we have votes for the fish being shallow and a vote for the fish being deep.
It's all about location of that shallow water.  Big Grin
(05-23-2021, 12:03 AM)fishinfool Wrote:
(05-20-2021, 11:02 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Well, we have votes for the fish being shallow and a vote for the fish being deep.
It's all about location of that shallow water.  Big Grin

Why didn't I think of that? Cool