Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry marina closed
Thought I had better give you guys a heads up. I went to the Strawberry bay marina this morning at 6:00 am. There were cones all around the parking lot. There were two others there to launch as well. There were no warning signs at that time. The 3 of us launched, however I had my daughter drive the truck and trailer around to Renegade where I picked her up in the boat. It cost us some fishing time. Later there was a sign at the pay shack that said it would be closed today, Monday and Tuesday. The sign suggested launching at Soldier Creek or Renegade. Too bad the sign was not up earlier both at the pay shack and at the turn off of highway 40. Kind of poor customer service on Utah Recreation Company's part. When a company is interested in customer service they do half of the parking lot 1 day and the second half another day. I think URC's idea of customer service is: We are the concessionaire and we allow you to use the premises (Federal Public Lands) at our discretion.

Kokanee fishing was slow today. I mostly fished the SC side - only 1 on and did not get it in the boat. Did catch quite a few Rainbows. The wind pushed us into the narrows where we found quite a few willing bows.
(05-21-2021, 02:05 AM)brookie Wrote: Thought I had better give you guys a heads up. I went to the Strawberry bay marina this morning at 6:00 am. There were cones all around the parking lot. There were two others there to launch as well. There were no warning signs at that time. The 3 of us launched, however I had my daughter drive the truck and trailer around to Renegade where I picked her up in the boat. It cost us some fishing time. Later there was a sign at the pay shack that said it would be closed today, Monday and Tuesday. The sign suggested launching at Soldier Creek or Renegade. Too bad the sign was not up earlier both at the pay shack and at the turn off of highway 40. Kind of poor customer service on Utah Recreation Company's part. When a company is interested in customer service they do half of the parking lot 1 day and the second half another day. I think URC's idea of customer service is: We are the concessionaire and we allow you to use the premises (Federal Public Lands) at our discretion.

Kokanee fishing was slow today. I mostly fished the SC side - only 1 on and did not get it in the boat. Did catch quite a few Rainbows. The wind pushed us into the narrows where we found quite a few willing bows.
 Not at all impressed with URC.  I totally agree with you that they act as if they're doing us a great favor allowing us to access and use OUR public land. I am totally against this continued commercialization of our public lands. Why should tax payer infrastructure be then turned over to a private business to run at a guaranteed profit? They didn't risk anything to build the infrastructure.  Dodgy
  Sorry, jumping off my soap box now before someone comes along and cancels me for bucking the all knowing gov't.
Sunrise on the water
Hey guys, I am over it today. Yesterday I was annoyed because it affected me. I do realize that they need to work on the parking lot and that will be inconvenient for the days involved. The main reason for the post was to give others advanced notice that the marina will be closed Monday and Tuesday and maybe avoid some disappointment. I should have stayed focused. Probably just should be grateful that we have public lands, as I enjoy the fact that they have been preserved. Pretty great that those who went before saw fit to set aside something for the future. Hope we can do the same for those who follow.
Thanks WET1 for your thoughts too. No cancel culture from me. We all have the right to speak our minds. That is how we affect change for the better.
(05-21-2021, 02:45 PM)WET1 Wrote:
(05-21-2021, 02:05 AM)brookie Wrote: Thought I had better give you guys a heads up. I went to the Strawberry bay marina this morning at 6:00 am. There were cones all around the parking lot. There were two others there to launch as well. There were no warning signs at that time. The 3 of us launched, however I had my daughter drive the truck and trailer around to Renegade where I picked her up in the boat. It cost us some fishing time. Later there was a sign at the pay shack that said it would be closed today, Monday and Tuesday. The sign suggested launching at Soldier Creek or Renegade. Too bad the sign was not up earlier both at the pay shack and at the turn off of highway 40. Kind of poor customer service on Utah Recreation Company's part. When a company is interested in customer service they do half of the parking lot 1 day and the second half another day. I think URC's idea of customer service is: We are the concessionaire and we allow you to use the premises (Federal Public Lands) at our discretion.

Not at all impressed with URC.  I totally agree with you that they act as if they're doing us a great favor allowing us to access and use OUR public land. I am totally against this continued commercialization of our public lands. Why should tax payer infrastructure be then turned over to a private business to run at a guaranteed profit? They didn't risk anything to build the infrastructure.  Dodgy
  Sorry, jumping off my soap box now before someone comes along and cancels me for bucking the all knowing gov't.

Appreciate the warning Brookie, but have to agree with the above as well.

Last year, as I was pulling into the marina one afternoon to launch, their host/enforcer/whatever pulled his truck in front of mine and physically blocked me to check that I hadn't somehow circumnavigated the pay station (not sure how I'd do that). He then proceeded to criticize that I should have the payment tag on the dash, not hanging from the rearview "so that it will be easier to see, that way you don't get a ticket" (despite the fact that it is a rearview tag). At any rate, between being blocked in, and criticized for following the rules, I was less than friendly coming out of the exchange. His parting comment was "I'm trying to help you". No you're not. You're skimming profits off of public lands that we all pay for.

Sparing you the rant of the double-dipping taxation of license fees, boat registration, truck registration, federal and state taxes, sales tax on all of it, and then being scammed $10 every launch, does URC actually have the ability to issue tickets?
Why on earth would they shut the main marina down on the Memorial Day weekend???  What a load of bovine scatology !!  It crap like this that is the reason that I have not fished Strawberry or Pineview for the past 25 years.  As stated in an earlier post,  we need to get things started to have the State take both these waters over and run them.

Ha Ha !!Started this a couple of days ago and got distracted,  happening more often these days.  Anyway, what I was saying is that we need to go on the offensive, write our state reps and senators and get a movement started to have the state take the management of these waters over.  The enforcement on Pineview is abysmal, the inability to access the water is unconscionable !!
(05-21-2021, 05:45 PM)BYUHunter Wrote:
(05-21-2021, 02:45 PM)WET1 Wrote:

Appreciate the warning Brookie, but have to agree with the above as well.

Last year, as I was pulling into the marina one afternoon to launch, their host/enforcer/whatever pulled his truck in front of mine and physically blocked me to check that I hadn't somehow circumnavigated the pay station (not sure how I'd do that). He then proceeded to criticize that I should have the payment tag on the dash, not hanging from the rearview "so that it will be easier to see, that way you don't get a ticket" (despite the fact that it is a rearview tag). At any rate, between being blocked in, and criticized for following the rules, I was less than friendly coming out of the exchange. His parting comment was "I'm trying to help you". No you're not. You're skimming profits off of public lands that we all pay for.

Sparing you the rant of the double-dipping taxation of license fees, boat registration, truck registration, federal and state taxes, sales tax on all of it, and then being scammed $10 every launch, does URC actually have the ability to issue tickets?

I'm pretty sure they don't have any legal authority to issue a legally binding ticket for which you would have to go to court.
Sunrise on the water
drove up  to snowberry yesterday
could nots puts the money in the chix creek receptical cause it was frozen
i dont do maintaince to pay thats their job
left 2 fivers in the envelope on the windshield
no body took it
in at 7 30ish cold got a few small bows right off the bat and ldred a few
sun peaked out melted stuff off breezy nuffs that i staid in the bay 1 other boat launched 9 ish
saw a few others towards the marina and mud creek
ended up with 6 or 7 bows 1 over 18 and 3 or 4 slot cutties
had a slot buster follow and take a swipe right at the boat but couldnt connect
couldnt find much trolling
towards shore and back out and along side weedbeds drop offs
[Image: IMG_7414_(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
[Image: SavedImage_0524210911b.jpg?width=1920&he...fit=bounds]
[Image: IMG_7419_(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
[Image: 0524211053_HDR.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
[Image: SavedImage_0524210905b.jpg?width=1920&he...fit=bounds]
[Image: IMG_7426_(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
(05-25-2021, 02:53 PM)WET1 Wrote:
(05-21-2021, 05:45 PM)BYUHunter Wrote: Sparing you the rant of the double-dipping taxation of license fees, boat registration, truck registration, federal and state taxes, sales tax on all of it, and then being scammed $10 every launch, does URC actually have the ability to issue tickets?
I'm pretty sure they don't have any legal authority to issue a legally binding ticket for which you would have to go to court.
I'm 99.9% sure that is correct.  My neighbor used to manage the Port Ramp at Pineview and told me they could only call the Sheriff if a legal citation was called for.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."