Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cookie says a bad word
This was supposed to be the week we explored Southeast Idaho and counted bears at Yellowstone. Had to cancel the trip as Lance's dad passed away. We decided while we were having some down time before the funeral in a few days, that we would do some fishing close to home. We couldn't think of a better way to process the events of the week than to spend time in nature in the peace and quiet. Decided to focus on Cache Valley. Started at Newton. One of our favorite panfish spots. Now Newton is not a big lake. Not a lake you expect to see large boats on, and especially not large fancy ski boats pulling skiers or wakeboarders. Well, there were two this particular night. I have no issues sharing waters with all recreators. We all have a right to be on the water. BUT the lake is just too small in my opinion. (How fun can it be going in tight little circles all day?) Not only did one particular boat continually make circles around and around and around the main lake, stirring up the bottom so no fish was ever going to peek out, but he had a sound system that I am sure was heard all across the county. We couldn't even talk to each other on shore, it was so loud. I mean, seriously. Maybe I am just turning into a grumpy old lady, or maybe my emotions were just too on edge already, but I may or may not have let out a few non ladylike words that no one could hear any way. We had hoped to do some night fishing for crappie, but did I mention this boat also had enough flashing colored lights on it changing colors to the beat of the music to rival the Las Vegas strip? I was able to pick up some very small bluegill next to the overflow, but it was a very discouraging night.
Tried to go back the next evening and there were at least half a dozen skiers. Didn't even try. Went over to Cutler and coaxed a pair of smalleys off their nest.
The real treat was driving up Porcupine. We haven't been up there since we were dating. It was the middle of the day and windy, but it was quiet and sunny, so we decided to pull over and cast a few spinners. I was using my favorite Jakes and the rainbows were on! We only stayed an hour, but I landed four decent bows and had several take air and shake the lure or just bump it and not bite. Super excited to go back and try it again. 
Moral of the story: Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
That's unfortunate regarding the ski/wake boats at Newton. When I ice fished it I didn't think it was big enough for boats, and if it was that it would/should be wake less like so many other small lakes around here.

Sorry to hear about Lance's dad.
Never been to Newton.  But the same issue with Hyrum IMHO. Lake too narrow for high power high speed power squadron. At least Willard is wider.  Lost Creek is only lake I know of that is entirely wakeless. 
Glad you guys were at least able to get out and get some lines wet.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Sorry too hear that but it takes all kinds . Thats one reason I never fish Deer Creek Fri Sat OR Sun. Had them close enough I could read the numbers on the boat.
(05-21-2021, 08:30 PM)CookiePirate Wrote: This was supposed to be the week we explored Southeast Idaho and counted bears at Yellowstone. Had to cancel the trip as Lance's dad passed away. We decided while we were having some down time before the funeral in a few days, that we would do some fishing close to home. We couldn't think of a better way to process the events of the week than to spend time in nature in the peace and quiet. Decided to focus on Cache Valley. Started at Newton. One of our favorite panfish spots. Now Newton is not a big lake. Not a lake you expect to see large boats on, and especially not large fancy ski boats pulling skiers or wakeboarders. Well, there were two this particular night. I have no issues sharing waters with all recreators. We all have a right to be on the water. BUT the lake is just too small in my opinion. (How fun can it be going in tight little circles all day?) Not only did one particular boat continually make circles around and around and around the main lake, stirring up the bottom so no fish was ever going to peek out, but he had a sound system that I am sure was heard all across the county. We couldn't even talk to each other on shore, it was so loud. I mean, seriously. Maybe I am just turning into a grumpy old lady, or maybe my emotions were just too on edge already, but I may or may not have let out a few non ladylike words that no one could hear any way. We had hoped to do some night fishing for crappie, but did I mention this boat also had enough flashing colored lights on it changing colors to the beat of the music to rival the Las Vegas strip? I was able to pick up some very small bluegill next to the overflow, but it was a very discouraging night.
Tried to go back the next evening and there were at least half a dozen skiers. Didn't even try. Went over to Cutler and coaxed a pair of smalleys off their nest.
The real treat was driving up Porcupine. We haven't been up there since we were dating. It was the middle of the day and windy, but it was quiet and sunny, so we decided to pull over and cast a few spinners. I was using my favorite Jakes and the rainbows were on! We only stayed an hour, but I landed four decent bows and had several take air and shake the lure or just bump it and not bite. Super excited to go back and try it again. 

Well if the DNR is right most boat ramps will be inoperable sometime in July due to the drought conditions. So the power boats will be useless and people like myself in a float tube will have peace and quiet. Look for the good in bad situations. Be patient and peace will come.
Gabe
(05-21-2021, 10:18 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Never been to Newton.  But the same issue with Hyrum IMHO. Lake too narrow for high power high speed power squadron. At least Willard is wider.  Lost Creek is only lake I know of that is entirely wakeless. 
Glad you guys were at least able to get out and get some lines wet.

I believe Causey and Porcupine are both wakeless, but you would have a tough time getting much of a boat on either. We will be back. Newton is also one of our favorite for ice fishing.

(05-22-2021, 01:18 AM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:
(05-21-2021, 08:30 PM)CookiePirate Wrote: This was supposed to be the week we explored Southeast Idaho and counted bears at Yellowstone. Had to cancel the trip as Lance's dad passed away. We decided while we were having some down time before the funeral in a few days, that we would do some fishing close to home. We couldn't think of a better way to process the events of the week than to spend time in nature in the peace and quiet. Decided to focus on Cache Valley. Started at Newton. One of our favorite panfish spots. Now Newton is not a big lake. Not a lake you expect to see large boats on, and especially not large fancy ski boats pulling skiers or wakeboarders. Well, there were two this particular night. I have no issues sharing waters with all recreators. We all have a right to be on the water. BUT the lake is just too small in my opinion. (How fun can it be going in tight little circles all day?) Not only did one particular boat continually make circles around and around and around the main lake, stirring up the bottom so no fish was ever going to peek out, but he had a sound system that I am sure was heard all across the county. We couldn't even talk to each other on shore, it was so loud. I mean, seriously. Maybe I am just turning into a grumpy old lady, or maybe my emotions were just too on edge already, but I may or may not have let out a few non ladylike words that no one could hear any way. We had hoped to do some night fishing for crappie, but did I mention this boat also had enough flashing colored lights on it changing colors to the beat of the music to rival the Las Vegas strip? I was able to pick up some very small bluegill next to the overflow, but it was a very discouraging night.

Well if the DNR is right most boat ramps will be inoperable sometime in July due to the drought conditions. So the power boats will be useless and people like myself in a float tube will have peace and quiet. Look for the good in bad situations. Be patient and peace will come.
Gabe

Totally didn't think about the boat ramps being high and dry. Maybe us bank tanglers will do ok this year  Wink
Petition every DWR employee, every lawmaker, and say your prayers that soon we will have wake/no wake days rotating on an even/odd calendar schedule.
It is getting dangerous and every wakemaker that broke the proximity law and/or skied after dusk brought it on themselves.
(05-22-2021, 04:46 AM)MrShane Wrote: Petition every DWR employee, every lawmaker, and say your prayers that soon we will have wake/no wake days rotating on an even/odd calendar schedule.
It is getting dangerous and every wakemaker that broke the proximity law and/or skied after dusk brought it on themselves.

He definitely violated both.
Shane is right, of course. But for many years I've thought we should all get paintball guns and nail every car that was being operated in an unsafe or irritating manner. Could do the same for boats--if they are close enough to you they deserve it. Okay, just a fantasy. It would just lead to further problems, but a guy can dream can't he?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Several times in my float tube I've had near misses on Willard. I've called the Box Elder Sheriff's office and requested they connect me with a ranger. Couple, three times the ranger showed up, took the details and cited the boat operator for passing too close. Generally, if you can read the boats number, it's too close. One case the operator pleaded innocent and I testified at her trial. Guilty. $250 fine and court costs.
Willard can be the worst.  Can't count the times I have been "rock and rolled" by proximity violators.  In the olden days I carried a slingshot and marbles.  Got in trouble for that.  Today I just raise my camera as if to record their numbers as they fly by and you'd be amazed at how many drop speed or veer away from me.  But then there are those who simply look the other direction and pretend you're not there.

Sure wish I could figure out how to mount a 50 cal. machine gun on my tube...or maybe convert a couple of my rod tubes into surface to surface missiles.

(05-23-2021, 02:28 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Willard can be the worst. 

If it is worse that Jordanelle, I feel sorry for you.  Back when I used to troll for trout (many, many moons ago) in one day, I had four Rapalas cut off, by four different boats, while I was trolling.
(05-23-2021, 03:31 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(05-23-2021, 02:28 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Willard can be the worst. 

If it is worse that Jordanelle, I feel sorry for you.  Back when I used to troll for trout (many, many moons ago) in one day, I had four Rapalas cut off, by four different boats, while I was trolling.
That's probably one of the reasons I don't fish Jordanelle anymore.  Got to be almost as bad as Pineview...which I don't fish until late fall...after the pay booth closes and the cold weather wimps go home.

Sadly, with our increasing statewide population growth most of my formerly fave float tubing spots have become almost unfishable...and the fishing has declined at most of them as well.  Whenever I harken back to the "good ol' days on Yuba, Starvation, Deer Creek and other waters I feel real pain.  Utah Lake is about the only place to get some elbow room while fishing...but only during the week...some weeks.
(05-22-2021, 03:50 PM)catchinon Wrote: Shane is right, of course. But for many years I've thought we should all get paintball guns and nail every car that was being operated in an unsafe or irritating manner. Could do the same for boats--if they are close enough to you they deserve it. Okay, just a fantasy. It wou just lead to further problems, but a guy can dream can't he?

Love it!  Big Grin Maybe I can use that idea on all the illegal dirt bikes that fly past my house  Idea
(05-23-2021, 05:11 PM)CookiePirate Wrote:
(05-22-2021, 03:50 PM)catchinon Wrote: Shane is right, of course. But for many years I've thought we should all get paintball guns and nail every car that was being operated in an unsafe or irritating manner. Could do the same for boats--if they are close enough to you they deserve it. Okay, just a fantasy. It wou just lead to further problems, but a guy can dream can't he?

Love it!  Big Grin Maybe I can use that idea on all the illegal dirt bikes that fly past my house  Idea

Thanks Craig! Now I have got to put on my helmet and slow down or risk getting blasted by my bride for more than just skipping out on the lawn mowing.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Ice_sled told me that one time he cast a lure bristling with treble hooks at a guy ripping past on a jet ski. Caught him, too. I bet that the ensuing conversation was interesting. I don't have the cojo...guts to try that.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Hey Cookie I was there that night as well... In my boat those monster waves almost sunk me every time that boat came around the lake... Spilled into my motor well the first set, so I anchored facing them so I didn't sink... I agree they need to do something about the size of waves boats put off, they are really dangerous to other folks on that small lake... Glad I wasn't in an aluminum boat with low sides, I'd been swimming for sure... Wake boats on Newton and 850 Hp Jet boats on Cutler, the obnoxious folks are everywhere... not to mention the jet ski cronies that circle the big offenders... Pretty much water world out there on the local lakes... That's the one thing that makes it easier to go into farming mode in the summer... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
It seems that stupidity and obnoxiousness is a competitive sport in this state and some people are determined to win at any cost.
I hate the forced acoustics as much as, or more than the wakes.  At UL, I can often hear someone coming for miles with their questionable tastes forced upon the rest of us.

(05-25-2021, 11:47 AM)catchinon Wrote: Ice_sled told me that one time he cast a lure bristling with treble hooks at a guy ripping past on a jet ski. Caught him, too. I bet that the ensuing conversation was interesting. I don't have the cojo...guts to try that.

I'd do it in a second, except anybody that thoughtless and arrogant I wouldn't trust to fight fair.
(05-25-2021, 07:01 PM)thatchergreg Wrote: It seems that stupidity and obnoxiousness is a competitive sport in this state and some people are determined to win at any cost.

It isn't just this state Greg. Seems the younger the operator, the bigger and more powerful the boat, the more careless they are.  I did some sailing as a teen in southern California, inside the relatively protected waters between beach and breakwater. Had many too close misses, and actually swamped once. Fortunately was wearing PFD, was in fairly shallow water, and only about 200 yards off the beach.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool