Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minn Kota and i-Pilot / i-Pilot Link
In an earlier thread there was a discussion going on about kicker steering.

I've been using a connection rod for a while, prior to that I used a Remote Troll. I'm thinking it's time for the move to a bow-mounted Minn Kota of some sort and using the kicker for forward motion only.

The reviews around the web are generally confusing and prices vary wildly. I like the Terrova but there are those who insist on Ulterra. The only real difference I can see is the auto-stow feature, which I'm not too concerned about.

Ultimately, I'm interested in the i-Pilot stuff. I've got a newer Humminbird Helix finder and I'm wondering if there's really value in getting the "Link" functionality by networking it to the Minn Kota. It adds substantially to the price.

So for those of you with experience, what are your thoughts? Linked to fish finder a big deal? i-Pilot worth it? Any features you wish you'd purchased, or some you've purchased that you never use?

(The challenge for me will be to actually find one of these in stock somewhere--I don't know if they are suffering from the microchip shortage but they are a bit hard to find right now.)
Big Grin 
They are hard to find right now.  My son got a Ulterra for his new boat, boat still one or two weeks from delivery.  His finder and motor will talk together.

I hope I did not lead him astray, but the self deploy is super valuable for those of us that launch by ourselves.  We know on this site how people treat you on the launch ramp, and even the signs say 10 minute max.  (or is it 15?)  Try to launch your self, take the boat to a vacant slip, walk back to the truck and move it.  15 minutes is NOT a lot of time.  

Instead, think of backing the boat into the water and letting it drift off.  Self deploy the motor and guide it remotely to a spot in the bay, than spot lock it.  Drive your truck off now, taking a couple of minutes.  Think of all of the scared people thinking you lost your boat.   Now walk back and recall it to your location and boat off.

So, what about the auto-navigation feature?  Again, you are trolling a specific depth, or a specific line, you catch a fish but you have two rods out.  With the auto-navigation you tend the fish and ignore the boat...

Spot lock is the way to go if you vertically jig for Macks, or Kokes.  You find them, you lock on them, you .......

Now, imagine that you are "cheap" like me.  No fancy motor for me.  LOL
I have a Minn Kota w/ iPilot (24vdc) on my boat.  I do not have either the auto-stow or the sonar link (not compatible with Lowrance).  I was told by a tournament walleye fisherman that the link is a must for him as it allows following a specific contour line (depth) which works very well for walleye fishing I was told.  Since my primary walleye water is Willard Bay and it is primarily flat everywhere, I didn't see the need.  I can manually follow a contour and record the track for up to 2 miles and then retrace it forever, so its does give me an option in this regard.  But overall, I haven't felt severely handicapped without the link.

I do push the boat forward in a straight line with my 9.9 hp kicker and do all my steering with the electric.  I also have an iTroll w/ Hunt Mode to control the speed of the kicker and absolutely love it.

So, bottom line is this; as a minimum, you should get an electric up front w/ iPilot.  If you have a Humminbird sonar, the link would be a plus, but not required for most of your fishing.  The iTroll with Hunt Mode is also a nice to have tool and, for me, is worth its cost ($480).  Hope that helps.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I do wish I had link, and auto stow. To me, Spot lock and controlling from remote are non negotiable. Totally changed the way I fish.

Mine is one of the first terrova so I can still record a path and have the motor play it back on loop, which works fine. Would love to be able to "pull contours" witness fuss though.

If you are going to update your maps religiously and have the head unit for link already, I'd say the extra money is worth it.
My boat has the standard i-pilot without the link. Most of my fishing is done at Willard, either slow trolling for cats or casting into the shoreline and the i-pilot works for both. Spot lock is invaluable at the Gorge for jigging or casting to the shoreline. I have never found a time when I wanted or needed the boat to follow a specific depth contour.
If I fished busy reservoirs on busy weekends, which I don't, an Ulterra would be worth the price for the self deploy feature.
I've got a couple of Terrova's and an Ulterra, 24 volt 80 lbs thrust.  The Terrovas are older, without the jog feature,  and they have been really great motors.  Like everyone else, I am waiting for a new Terrova for my small boat to come in, maybe next month.  But it will have the Jog feature.

Now for the Ulterra.  Had it for three years now and it is really nice to have the deploy feature, but just as convenient is the trim feature.  Coming in to shore you can keep the expensive main motor prop up and just drive in using the bow mount.   Then just raise the motor out of the water as you reach shore.  It really works great.
The stow and deploy portion is really nice when it works, which is about half the time.  The safety features built in to the motor are fairly sensitive and will cause a motor error if anything touches the motor while stowing or deploying.  The weight of the control head on a long shaft will cause a motor error in rough water as it reaches the high point in the trim prior to stowing.
Two weeks ago, at Lake Powell, there was a couple of thousand tons of red sand moving around.  I had just cleaned and greased the locking mechanism and it was soon just a mess of red grit.   So, without any degreaser,  the motor just had to stay up the whole week, but the trim feature still worked fine.
In short, if you get and Ulterra you need to become and expert mechanic on how the stow and deploy works and how to fix it on the water.  I have seen a lot of videos on using it as an anchor after launching.  Looks great if your motor deploys, but otherwise your going to be swimming.  
Fishing I use the Ulterra for the steering on my Hewescraft, with the 8hp trolling motor for most of the propulsion.  Works really good and the front pulling motor is much more controllable that just rear pushing. Battery life is pretty good with this system.
Built a frame and put the Ulterra on my 11.5 foot Zodiack inflatable.  Really worked great and superb battery life, but the boat is so light and short that the autopilot function was always cycling back and forth as it tried to keep a constant heading.
The I-link function with the Hummingbird would be nice, but I don't use Hummingbird.  Apparently only Pineview has a map usable in Utah.  So, that function would be very limited.  However, the pendant controller for the I-link looks bigger and more user friendly than just the I pilot controller.  Might be worth the extra money just for that.
These motors are all GPS controlled, with the good and bad that comes with it.  In the flat country I'm sure they work much better than in the mountains.   Sometimes at Lake Powell or Flaming Gorge the cliffs will block signal strength on locked on satellites and the motor will just go bizzerk.   So, keep your controller handy.
All in all, I would still buy an Ulterra.  Who knows maybe I just have one of the more troublesome motors.
Hope that helps some.
+
Linked to fish finder is a big deal, if you have a humminbird fishfinder  i-Pilot worth it?  yes

I have the Ulterra but messed up the auto-stow so now I stow it by hand, no big dill if your not to old.

the Spot lock is great
use to use follow the contour a lot but getting way to many boats so is hard to use if you don't want to get run over  so use auto pilot most of the time.   sometimes I make a rout where the fish  are and let the trolling motor take me over the fish that works good till some boat gets in your way.   

also have a inboard battery charger of the trolling motor batteries if you don't have this your batteries may only last 5 hours.

also something to think about if you are going  to use your kicker to push your boat
State of the Art Outboard Motor Throttle Controller
https://www.itroll.us/itroll.buy.html
(05-23-2021, 02:03 AM)fishnotphish Wrote: In an earlier thread there was a discussion going on about kicker steering.

I've been using a connection rod for a while, prior to that I used a Remote Troll. I'm thinking it's time for the move to a bow-mounted Minn Kota of some sort and using the kicker for forward motion only.

The reviews around the web are generally confusing and prices vary wildly. I like the Terrova but there are those who insist on Ulterra. The only real difference I can see is the auto-stow feature, which I'm not too concerned about.

Ultimately, I'm interested in the i-Pilot stuff. I've got a newer Humminbird Helix finder and I'm wondering if there's really value in getting the "Link" functionality by networking it to the Minn Kota. It adds substantially to the price.

So for those of you with experience, what are your thoughts? Linked to fish finder a big deal? i-Pilot worth it? Any features you wish you'd purchased, or some you've purchased that you never use?

(The challenge for me will be to actually find one of these in stock somewhere--I don't know if they are suffering from the microchip shortage but they are a bit hard to find right now.)

I've got a 12v Powerdrive V2 with I-Pilot, Spot-Lock, etc. for sale. 56" shaft.  Sold my boat but kept the trolling motor to put on my new one, and my new one already has one on it.
Great condition, works perfectly.  PM me if interested.   
Apologies if "for sale" posts aren't allowed here...if not, please move it to the for sale board.  Just trying to help a brother out...

Edit:  Also...was going to mention...that is the way I troll.  I used the kicker or main motor for forward propulsion, then deploy the MinnKota and use the compass and cruise buttons.   Keeps you headed perfectly straight even in wind.  I don't know how I trolled before without it.  It is awesome...auto corrects if wind blows you off course...if fishing alone you can deal with poles and fish and your boat drives automatically and doesn't tangle lines...etc.
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.