Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newton Reservoir 5/22/2021
Took my new Kayak out to Newton on Saturday figuring I would try Bass fishing for the first time in my life. Obviously I have much to learn as I was only able to manage one smallish Bass in the 4 hours I was there. Tried buzz baits, soft plastics, rattle baits and swim baits before giving up and throwing a worm on. Managed the Bass on my 3rd worm cast, but then was unable to duplicate the result. Still a very pleasant morning and a beautiful reservoir!
Nice report thanks! I would suggest trying a texas rigged plastic worm. That is the best all around setup for largemouth. Cast into the weeds/ shallows and retrieve very slow.  When you get a bump lower the rod tip and let them take it, reel slack and strong hookset.
Thats crazy cuz we do good on buzzbaits there, could still be a little to cold though
Thanks for the insight! I will have to spend some time researching and learning the Texas rigged worm. I pride myself on being an above average fly fisherman and trout fisherman, but am trying to branch out into some new species and methods of fishing. Looks like I also need to do some research about bass and water temps!
The biggest key with bass is cover, cover, structure, and then some cover.  Trout are chasers while bass are ambush hunters.

I have caught bass under the ice, and when the water was just ice free, but they fall into the deeper "structure".  Once the water temp is over 50 degrees, which it is now, they start feeding up for the spawn.  Then it comes down to cover and structure.

Still, slow rolling spinnerbaits in colder water is so much better than fast retrieves.  Wacky rigged worms, or the old Texas Rigged worm is perfect for those cold days.  Texas Rigged works year around so that is why it is so famous.

Still, if you are 5' away from cover, you are 5' too far from cover/structure.  This attachment is an old diagram from In Fisherman Magazine many many many years ago if I recall correctly.

.pdf   Structure.pdf (Size: 1,021.18 KB / Downloads: 13)
Right on, Anglinarcher.

While I have been guilty of stringing a nightcrawler, the real key for me to catch LM bass a places like Mantua, Holmes Creek, and Hyrum is to simply commit to losing a lot of gear in the brush. That means I generally fish plastics instead of expensive crankbaits, etc.

Ned rigs, wacky rigs, and drop-shots were game changers for me. I've also learned to toss plastics (besides Senko's) without any weight into pockets and let them free-fall, twitching instead of retrieving them.