Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Increased limits because of drought
"SALT LAKE CITY — Utah wildlife officials announced Wednesday they are increasing the number of fish people can catch at 10 different bodies of water across the state, citing anticipated lower water levels due to the ongoing statewide drought.
The emergency changes, which were approved by the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources Tuesday night, were made in state's 2021 fishing regulations guidebook. While all parts of the state are currently experiencing drought conditions, nine of the 10 bodies of water at the center of the changes are located in southern or central Utah, where drought conditions are considered extreme and exceptional by the U.S. Drought Monitor.
The new fishing limits approved at:
  • Blacksmith Fork River (Cache County): Daily limit increased to eight trout from the Nibley Diversion downstream to the confluence with the Logan River.
  • Forsyth Reservoir (Sevier County): Daily limit to eight trout.
  • Gunlock Reservoir (Washington County): Daily limit increased to 12 largemouth bass with no size restrictions. The limit on bluegill and black crappie is also removed.
  • Koosharem Reservoir (Sevier County): Daily limit increased to eight trout.
  • Lower Enterprise Reservoir (Washington County): Daily limited increased to 12 smallmouth bass and eight trout.
  • Otter Creek Reservoir (Piute County): Daily limit increased to 12 smallmouth bass, eight trout and six wiper.
  • Tropic Reservoir (Garfield County): Daily limit increased to eight trout.
  • Upper Enterprise Reservoir (Washington County): Daily limit increased to 12 smallmouth bass and eight trout.
  • Wide Hollow Reservoir (Garfield County): Daily limit increased to eight trout.
  • Yuba Reservoir (Juab and Sanpete counties): Daily limit increased to 20 total fish total among channel catfish, northern pike, any species of trout, tiger muskie, walleye and wiper. There are also no size restrictions to any of the listed species.
The changes went into effect immediately and will remain in place through the end of October, according to DWR spokesperson Faith Heaton Jolley. The expected lower water levels have a biological impact on fish, which is what prompted the emergency changes."
Thanks Kent, good to know. May have to see if I can make it to Yuba this year.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I dunno the last time I had a 20 fish day at yuba other then carp. Maybe 8 years ago we could do 20 pike from 18-24" we had a few 20 fish walleye days maybe 13 years ago
They dumped a butt-ton of tiger trout in Yuba last year. I said it was a bad idea back then, and now it it appears it was a giant waste of money and resources. Man, I wish they would have thought it through a lot more and put those tigers in better lakes further south!!!
further south where the drought is worse?

The fish dumped in Yuba were surplus. Extra. Not needed anywhere else. Not requested anywhere else by the managers, maybe because they already had what they needed for those other lakes.

It's not a waste of money when there are extras.
I hear Minersville is being considered for some sort of increased take on trout. A consideration of both the drought and over abundance of trout for the program they are trying to run there.
The drought will no doubt take care of the trout population in Minersville. Hopefully some smallies and wipers survive.
(05-27-2021, 06:49 PM)castnshoot Wrote: I hear Minersville is being considered for some sort of increased take on trout. A consideration of both the drought and over abundance of trout for the program they are trying to run there.

Minersville is probably being considered. One thing to think about, though, is that if the trout population is thinned, it will give remaining fish a better chance of survival. If the lake is dropped and the population is super dense and high, chances are you will lose a lot more fish and fewer will make it.
Exactly what they are contemplating. Some fish are already starting to thin,, while they should be going into their  prime condition right now.

I think if they play it right they should have a chance of saving a base of big fish. Too bad there are so many addicted fly fishermen who will stand there by the Dam and kill one stressed fish after an other come Aug and Sept.