Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2021 Willard Bay trip # 16
Well I knew being a Saturday, with hot weather the water would be quite busy with the power squadron. But decided to go anyway. 
Strange, when I got there (south marina) there were more big boats coming OFF the water than going on.  Maybe those folks had already run thru their allotment of gas........... anyway got launched at about 0900. 

[Image: 036-Trip-16-5-June-21.jpg]

Water temp was already into 73.0+ air temp 75.  Was a moderate wind coming out of the south west, and all the fishy looking marks on the TV seemed to be in 10-13 fow.  So once I got out of the path of the channel  I motored out about 200 yards off the south dike. At about the 10 fow mark, turned broadside to the wind, put out my 2 lines baited with raw shrimp, and sat back to enjoy the breeze and let the wind push me north-east ish at about .35 to .50 mph. 

Started getting hit and run bait strips right away. But took 1 hour and 15 min. to get a Kitty to take a bigger bite that included the hook.  Into the box she went.
Another hour and 11 minutes, a big gulp and run that gave me a double skunk killer.  Into the box she went also. Got a craving for some fish tacos. 

Well, the wind got a bit stronger, and all those missing power squadron folks found their way back out. Including about a 6 ship flotilla of  PWC's that just was determined to run circles around me.  Angry .  

I fished thru my last piece of bait, and called it a day about 1230.  Snuck my way thru the traffic jam at the south docks, got the boat out.  
Shared the cleaning station with a fellow and his missus that I thought I recognized, but wasn't sure till I realized what boat he was from. 

Was pleasant to meet up with and share the station with Zuki Blue and his spouse. They were cleaning a nice batch of Walleye (of course) and 1 better than average Yellow Perch. About 14 inch I think, and fat. 

Wasn't till I got my 2 Cats up on the station, I realized that one may actually be a Contest bump, so got the tape out. Yep, a 1 inch bump . (Posted on contest thread)

[Image: 037-Cat-1-kept.jpg]   [Image: 038-Cat-2-kept.jpg]   [Image: 039-days-catch.jpg]   

Got my 2 WBCCC cleaned and bagged and was out of the area by 1430.  
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(06-05-2021, 11:17 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Well I knew being a Saturday, with hot weather the water would be quite busy with the power squadron. But decided to go anyway. 
Strange, when I got there (south marina) there were more big boats coming OFF the water than going on.  Maybe those folks had already run thru their allotment of gas........... anyway got launched at about 0900. 

Water temp was already into 73.0+ air temp 75.  Was a moderate wind coming out of the south west, and all the fishy looking marks on the TV seemed to be in 10-13 fow.  So once I got out of the path of the channel  I motored out about 200 yards off the south dike. At about the 10 fow mark, turned broadside to the wind, put out my 2 lines baited with raw shrimp, and sat back to enjoy the breeze and let the wind push me north-east ish at about .35 to .50 mph. 

Started getting hit and run bait strips right away. But took 1 hour and 15 min. to get a Kitty to take a bigger bite that included the hook.  Into the box she went.
Another hour and 11 minutes, a big gulp and run that gave me a double skunk killer.  Into the box she went also. Got a craving for some fish tacos. 

Well, the wind got a bit stronger, and all those missing power squadron folks found their way back out. Including about a 6 ship flotilla of  PWC's that just was determined to run circles around me.  Angry .  

I fished thru my last piece of bait, and called it a day about 1230.  Snuck my way thru the traffic jam at the south docks, got the boat out.  
Shared the cleaning station with a fellow and his missus that I thought I recognized, but wasn't sure till I realized what boat he was from. 

Was pleasant to meet up with and share the station with Zuki Blue and his spouse. They were cleaning a nice batch of Walleye (of course) and 1 better than average Yellow Perch. About 14 inch I think, and fat. 

Wasn't till I got my 2 Cats up on the station, I realized that one may actually be a Contest bump, so got the tape out. Yep, a 1 inch bump . (Posted on contest thread)

Got my 2 WBCCC cleaned and bagged and was out of the area by 1430.  

Glad those cats are still biting for you Forest and thanks for posting your report and pics.