Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ramp closures
I thought I saw that there have been some ramps closed, anyone else know of any besides at Lake Powell?
[Image: ramp-closures.jpg]
helped a friend pull his sailboat outta the gsl  back in april with the rest of the fleet
[Image: IMG_6758_(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
[Image: IMG_6743.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
[Image: IMG_6747_(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
is this really our drought plan and the best we can do?

im asking my deity's for better leadership
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
Willard North was still open in mid-week, but cones blocked off the sides leaving only the very center of the ramp accessible. There were still boats launching, but with the levels still dropping, it's strictly at your own risk.
(06-05-2021, 01:19 PM)fishskibum Wrote: helped a friend pull his sailboat outta the gsl  back in april with the rest of the fleet
[Image: IMG_6758_(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
[Image: IMG_6743.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
[Image: IMG_6747_(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
is this really our drought plan and the best we can do?

im asking my deity's for better leadership

I thought my launch and retrieves were expensive...
The last plan they had was put on hold because of environmental concerns. It involved building three new dams in the Bear river drainage. Then diverting part of the water from the Bear river that currently goes into the Great Salt Lake, South to SLC. Two dams would be in the mountains above the Bear river and the last one would be between the Bear river and Willard. Putting plans like that on hold is insane because Utah's population will be increasing by a million people in the coming decades and the longer we wait the higher the cost will be. I believe in the power of prayer but I also believe that God help those that help themselves.
Just saw a notification on FB from State Parks and Rec giving the status of all the state park launch ramps. State only mind you, Strawberry, Pineview and others are not part of the State Parks system are not mentioned.

This information was updated on the 4th of June.

https://stateparks.utah.gov/activities/b...GvMiZM_7B0
never wents to seminary school
but there is a good chance mr mojos right
i haz been know to pray to ullr for snow
and help myself to it when it falls
damn its hot already
is  it winter yet?
Willard Bay north ramp is iffy.  I launched with no problem on Wednesday, but when I came back in these guys had gone off the end of the ramp and had a tough time getting their trailer back out. Stay in the middle:

[Image: PXL-20210603-025510834-MP.jpg]
Single main, no kicker. Wink
(06-05-2021, 06:35 PM)Paddler Wrote: Willard Bay north ramp is iffy.  I launched with no problem on Wednesday, but when I came back in these guys had gone off the end of the ramp and had a tough time getting their trailer back out.  Stay in the middle:

That is likely why they have issued the closure, some people don't understand that the ramp drops right off on the side, just like it does on the two east and west sides that are coned off. The plus side to this is some people will quit launching as a result, so there will be less water skiers and wake board boats, at least at the North marina.
The big yellow lines they have painted on the ramp and the cones ought to be a clue, right? I saw one idjit back down the west side right through the cones to launch. No trailer drop, but I was waiting for it. Good thing he had only a little tin boat.
I didn’t see anywhere that prayer is the “Plan” from our governor. But asking for help from a higher power sure can’t hurt! I hope the out of control growth in this second driest state in the nation can be stopped soon. That will a be a huge help to the water struggles we are continually having here. I pray continually for water from heaven. I’d appreciate you not belittling me for my Faith.
(06-06-2021, 05:35 PM)Bovineowner Wrote: I didn’t see anywhere that prayer is the “Plan” from our governor. But asking for help from a higher power sure can’t hurt! I hope the out of control growth in this second driest state in the nation can be stopped soon. That will a be a huge help to the water struggles we are continually having here. I pray continually for water from heaven. I’d appreciate you not belittling me for my Faith.

Yup, pretty scarey where this may take us.  Willard is dropping about 3/4" a day, and reservoirs like Hyrum a dropping 4" per day.  Takes you out of safely launching a boat rather quickly.  Then again, sounds like Powell is near death.
Quote:Others responded to the governor’s request with frustration, wishing that state leaders would react to the drought with policy changes in addition to calls for prayer.
“There’s nothing wrong with prayer, but it shouldn’t blind us to what we have to do on this Earth,” said Zachary Frankel, executive director of the Utah Rivers Council. “And the state leaders have been blind to what we need to do in the water sector for decades.”

Frankel said he’d like to see the state do something about Utah’s cheap water rates, so that residents would have an incentive to conserve. He also argues state leaders are too squeamish about acknowledging that climate change is drying up the West.
sorry if you feel your faith is being belittled
i feel faith is belittling science at times and its frustrating to others too
and im salty i didnt switch my voter registration to git a govenor who spent a lot of money fighting cancer with science and real time plans other than divine intervention
and obviously im not the only one Mr. Frankel speaks the truth
and mr wonder sings it well

"if you knew your history
youd know where were coming from
and where were going
and whose gonna lead us there
It feels like we are tracking off course to the original post question...by fishgiver

"I thought I saw that there have been some ramps closed, anyone else know of any besides at Lake Powell?"

Lets see if we can swing back to answering the question as the subject of politics and water is off topic and better suited for a differnt setting.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(06-08-2021, 03:39 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: It feels like we are tracking off course to the original post question...by fishgiver

"I thought I saw that there have been some ramps closed, anyone else know of any besides at Lake Powell?"

Lets see if we can swing back to answering the question as the subject of politics and water is off topic and better suited for a differnt setting.

Thanks for redirecting us back.  Let's keep the politics on FaceBook.
i dont think its political to suggest if your using our water to grow a grass lawn or powering your ac with coal fired electricity today
you are not part of any water shortage solution
tear your wasteful grass out now xeriscape and consider solar power
(06-09-2021, 01:46 PM)fishskibum Wrote: i dont think its political to suggest if your using our water to grow a grass lawn or powering your ac with coal fired electricity today
you are not part of any water shortage solution
tear your wasteful grass out now xeriscape and consider solar power

My friend, i appreciate your passion on this subject, and I have some similar opinions, but this thread was about what ramps are closed. It seems nothing more is going to be added to help with question that was posed,, so it looks like its time to close this thread. I would be happy to PM you on this and carry on the conversation about actions needed for water issues. Its a pet peeve of mine too.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew