Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Lincoln report
Good day at Lincoln today. The light wind was cold but tolerable for fishin'. Arrived at 6:00; channel depth was 3.5 ft. deep, water temp was 63 and warmed to 65 at 11:00 departure. About 10 trailers in the parking lot when I left; a few bank tanglers along the channel berm.

I caught 12-15 cats, all cutters except for one 29 incher and a 27 incher. I used white bass for bait. I fished most of the time in the springs area in water varying from 3 to 8 ft. deep and caught most of my fish in deeper water. Richard and Vi were out today and they took the time to swing by and say hello. Good to see them on the water.

I talked to one boater who had just pulled his boat from the water. He was examining his rather chewed up prop and when I stopped to chat with him I said, "Lemme guess... Bird Island?" Yup. First time out there and he got the all too common introduction. Nice family guy with a nice boat. Sure hope his prop can be salvaged. 

It should be good fishin' this week but probably best to get in and out before the heat becomes unbearable. Might be a good time for some night fishing, too. No midge swarms observed yet?? Seems like they are always splattering my windshield by this time of the year. Soon.

Bigger fish coming.
Good to see Ya out and about and doing some good, that island is mean, heard and seen 4 boats one day find out its there, a record so far, how was the water clarity after all the wind.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Boatload, I fished the east shore on wet feet last Saturday night, and it was a pretty good night. I caught about 9 between 24-28" in 2-4 feet of water. along the tules. Didn't post it because I didn't think it remarkable. Plenty of midges and mosquitos then.
Still biting. Caught 15 or so today, best was a 28 incher.

Mike, (MSM70?) stopped by to say hello and show off his new boat. Nice outfit, 115 hp 4 stroke... aaahhh , if only I were rich.... Undecided
its not rich, you just have eat top roman with all those fish you catch, seen Fast randy, he didn't have such a good day, not alot of catchin and he found the island, messed up his pro a bit, he'll be doin so filing, that thing is mean, caught about the 10 nothing to big other than her belly,
carp are really spawning, surprised there is not more carp shooters.

Did get to see one power squadron surf boat come to a stop on the south east reef of the island, they looked surprised to be standing in a ankle dep water 100yds from the island, ya they idled back to the harbor, probably wrong of me But that made my day,
               O.C.F.D.
"Did get to see one power squadron surf boat come to a stop on the south east reef of the island, they looked surprised to be standing in a ankle dep water 100yds from the island, ya they idled back to the harbor, probably wrong of me But that made my day"

I bet it did.  Bird island had an almost mythical history since I learned about it in 1982.  I have not had the time (read courage) to venture out and learn the bird yet.  I will need to take out my sidefinder and chart the area when I do.  Better take a spare prop from what I hear.  uggggg  Undecided
Best approach B.I. from the west side.  Know what your minimum safe depth is and don't go past it.  Approach SLOWLY, use  bow mount electric motor if your boat is so equipped. 

A large Catfish or big limit is not worth a damaged prop, or hull damage.  

[Image: bi.jpg]   
[Image: 068.jpg]  

[Image: 065-Bird-Island.jpg]

Island photo taken during high water year. The more island that is visible, the more rocks around the edges that will be just inches underwater.  
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(06-13-2021, 04:01 AM)Anglinarcher Wrote: "Did get to see one power squadron surf boat come to a stop on the south east reef of the island, they looked surprised to be standing in a ankle dep water 100yds from the island, ya they idled back to the harbor, probably wrong of me But that made my day"

I bet it did.  Bird island had an almost mythical history since I learned about it in 1982.  I have not had the time (read courage) to venture out and learn the bird yet.  I will need to take out my sidefinder and chart the area when I do.  Better take a spare prop from what I hear.  uggggg  Undecided

Here's a pic of BI...with that treacherous long shallow point going out off the SE corner.  That's the place that gets the most props.

(06-13-2021, 02:12 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(06-13-2021, 04:01 AM)Anglinarcher Wrote: "Did get to see one power squadron surf boat come to a stop on the south east reef of the island, they looked surprised to be standing in a ankle dep water 100yds from the island, ya they idled back to the harbor, probably wrong of me But that made my day"

Here's a pic of BI...with that treacherous long shallow point going out off the SE corner.  That's the place that gets the most props.
That is where I dinged my prop. I know Bird as good as anybody. And it still got me. I have had the worst luck at UL this year. It is paying me back for all the bragging I did last year. I lost my front seat on the way down. Blew out on the freeway. And then when I get in the water my new down and side imagine fish finder would not turn on. Fuse is good. It worked fine last week at American Falls. I first tried to fish my shallows but only got one 17" cat in an hour and a half. I was using my front electric. But I put it up and drive to bird. And just like Forest says, I get close and put my front electric down and hook up the power to my Helex 5 and my battery is to dead to turn my fish finder on. I bump the switch on with my toe as I was changing the one seat from front to back. So it drained the battery on the way to Bird. So I had no electric and no depth finder when I get there.

(06-13-2021, 04:40 PM)fast_randy Wrote:
(06-13-2021, 02:12 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

That is where I dinged my prop. I know Bird as good as anybody. And it still got me. I have had the worst luck at UL this year. It is paying me back for all the bragging I did last year. I lost my front seat on the way down. Blew out on the freeway. And then when I get in the water my new down and side imagine fish finder would not turn on. Fuse is good. It worked fine last week at American Falls. I first tried to fish my shallows but only got one 17" cat in an hour and a half. I was using my front electric. But I put it up and drive to bird. And just like Forest says, I get close and put my front electric down and hook up the power to my Helex 5 and my battery is to dead to turn my fish finder on. I bump the switch on with my toe as I was changing the one seat from front to back. So it drained the battery on the way to Bird. So I had no electric and no depth finder when I get there.
I normally fish as close as I can get, and right under the dot that marks Bird on your picture. But there was a boat there so I went on the other side of that long point. I dropped anchor and cast as close to ridge that the birds are sitting on. I got four nice cats and two mud cats in the first hour I was there. The boat on the other side saw I was casting right to the ridge and they moved over so they were only forty yards away with the bird ridge between us. And they got two nice ones. Then they left. It was the only two bites that they had all day. So when they left I went over to their side and on the way: ding, got the prop. 
[Image: 20210612-105134.jpg]

[Image: 20210612-101752.jpg]
My biggest was 25 1/2 inches and 5 pounds. And 26" 6 pounds .
Ya, I saw the Google Earth photos in two different low water years.  I have the coordinates, the side finder, and autochart, so...... if I can just get around it once with prop intact I should be ok.  
[Image: Bird-Island-Tip-to-Tip.jpg]

[Image: Bird-Island-Tip-to-Tip-2018.jpg]
Here's a hint. Go way farther out than you think you need to. Learned from guys who knew it well.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

What you see in the low water pic is not all of the island, there is about 100 yrds to the north and west that would get you in that pic but you can pass in normal water years. that big long stinger gets them all the time, on the east side of it, it drops quick, I know eyes and WB like to spawn on top of that reef. its only about 10 to 50 ft wide, good place to try, its gravely so you dont loose stuff to the big rocks,

side imaging, marking structure on slow days pays for itself in props and fish,
               O.C.F.D.
I have navigated all the way around the island in safe depth water that is about 3 ft deep in low water years, and saved that route marking on my GPS.  I never go past that line in the water unless I move very slow, motor trimmed up as far as I dare and still keep the water intake in the water. Any time I get to 2 fow I reverse a few yards and drop anchor.  When I leave the island, I always follow my ingress mark back out until I get to good depth (5-6 ft)

Cool
I hit it first time out a few years ago and it not only got my prop but my gears in my outboard. I haven't hit it since and 3 boats including the one I hit it with later and I have yet to hit another rock in my boat. I steer clear of that dinner on SE corner by swinging way wide. Like if it calls for 200 yards I swing 400 yards
(06-13-2021, 02:24 AM)MSM1970 Wrote: its not rich, you just have eat top roman with all those fish you catch,  seen  Fast randy,  he didn't have such a good day,  not alot of catchin and  he found the island, messed up his pro a bit, he'll be doin so filing,  that thing is mean,  caught about the 10 nothing  to big  other than her belly,

Did get to see one power squadron surf boat come to a stop on the south east reef of the island, they looked surprised to be standing in a ankle dep water 100yds from the island, ya they idled back to the harbor, probably wrong of me But that made my day,

I got out there and hit that spot about 1/2 hr before that power boat got to it. I was only at an idle approaching the other anchored boats. When I heard the thud,thud thud coming from my motor I threw it into neutral and shut the ignition off. When I restarted the engine and shifted into gear the engine stalled. I was amazed that I had run shallow 100 yards out off of the island. I pulled the big motor up and started up the kicker motor which got me moving again. I motored over to the west and started dragging night crawlers (no luck), when I heard that guy hit bottom. I was wondering if I was going to have to go offer him a pull to get him going. I think his skier and some others in the boat jumped out and pushed him deeper. He definitely left the area with less speed than he did when he bottomed out.  I can tell you I learned my lesson, I think it will be some time before I travel close to bird island again. I'm glad I was only at idle when I hit bottom, all I need to do is replace a prop, not a skeg or prop shaft.
(06-14-2021, 08:19 AM)sanitarymechanic Wrote:
(06-13-2021, 02:24 AM)MSM1970 Wrote: its not rich, you just have eat top roman with all those fish you catch,  seen  Fast randy,  he didn't have such a good day,  not alot of catchin and  he found the island, messed up his pro a bit, he'll be doin so filing,  that thing is mean,  caught about the 10 nothing  to big  other than her belly,

I got out there and hit that spot about 1/2 hr before that power boat got to it. I was only at an idle approaching the other anchored boats. When I heard the thud,thud thud coming from my motor I threw it into neutral and shut the ignition off. When I restarted the engine and shifted into gear the engine stalled. I was amazed that I had run shallow 100 yards out off of the island. I pulled the big motor up and started up the kicker motor which got me moving again. I motored over to the west and started dragging night crawlers (no luck), when I heard that guy hit bottom. I was wondering if I was going to have to go offer him a pull to get him going. I think his skier and some others in the boat jumped out and pushed him deeper. He definitely left the area with less speed than he did when he bottomed out.  I can tell you I learned my lesson, I think it will be some time before I travel close to bird island again. I'm glad I was only at idle when I hit bottom, all I need to do is replace a prop, not a skeg or prop shaft.
I was barely moving, and using my paddle to judge depth. Just as I touched bottom with my paddle my prop hit. Stupid thing was I knew it was there, I could see it. I just thought I was deep enough. It took just a little off two of my blades. But I could feel a vibration from out of balance. So I need a new one also. This one will be my spare. And now this morning I find out the main power cord had come undone for my fish finder. I swear, I'm not getting senile. I looked at that, I swear. Lol.
Randy, if you are gonna keep that prop as a spare, a couple recommendations:
 1,  get a spare shaft nut and a spare cotter pin or nut keeper if your motor shaft uses one. Be sure the spare nut is correct thread. Some of those shaft's are metric (made in Japan) 
 2,  make sure  you have a correct size wrench for the shaft nut.

If your prop is aluminum, you can pull it off the shaft, secure it in a vice with some vice pads that won't leave jaw marks, and blend the dings out of the blades. Or find a shop that can blend the blades. 

I dinged up one blade of my 3 blade prop on my old 15hp Merc about 4 years ago. I pulled that prop, filed the ding out, put the prop back on and ran it for a couple weeks while I was waiting for a new prop. It ran great, no vibration, but once I got the new prop, I put that blended prop in my boat dry box with the tools required to remove / reinstall it.  Never needed to use it, so I gave it to Fred's Marine last March when I re-motored my boat, changed from original 15 hp to 25 hp.  

Cool
(06-14-2021, 05:47 PM)fast_randy Wrote:
(06-14-2021, 08:19 AM)sanitarymechanic Wrote:

I was barely moving, and using my paddle to judge depth. Just as I touched bottom with my paddle my prop hit. Stupid thing was I knew it was there, I could see it. I just thought I was deep enough. It took just a little off two of my blades. But I could feel a vibration from out of balance. So I need a new one also. This one will be my spare. And now this morning I find out the main power cord had come undone for my fish finder. I swear, I'm not getting senile. I looked at that, I swear. Lol.
If all you need after a tangle with the island is a pro you done ok. some do more damage than others, sure that power boat is going to be expensive,  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDqiWZmqKmc
               O.C.F.D.
Just want to add a quick Lincoln report to my Lincoln report -- I think I am beginning to over do my Lincoln reporting... Anyway, went out this a.m., arrived and in the channel at 5:15, no other fools out yet. I intended to fish close to the shoreline near the springs but the carp were absolutely going nuts -- sounded like I was fishing in a washing machine so headed out for some peace and quiet in about 8.5 fow. I was alone because I have been abandoned by my usual crew. They have temporarily developed other interests like girls, work, girls, school, girls, baseball. girls... stuff like that. I don't mind fishing alone, I always have my grandson with me, and I like to be able to fish with two poles. I'm never lonely when I fish alone.
Anyway, fishing was obscenely good today. I fished for four hours and caught over 30 cats, had two on at a time several times. It just does not get any better than it was today. I caught several that were pushing 28 inches but most were in the mid-twenty range. Caught 'em on white bass.
Tomorrow, I catch the big one.
(06-14-2021, 09:51 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Just want to add a quick Lincoln report to my Lincoln report -- I think I am beginning to over do my Lincoln reporting... Anyway, went out this a.m., arrived and in the channel at 5:15, no other fools out yet. I intended to fish close to the shoreline near the springs but the carp were absolutely going nuts -- sounded like I was fishing in a washing machine so headed out for some peace and quiet in about 8.5 fow. I was alone because I have been abandoned by my usual crew. They have temporarily developed other interests like girls, work, girls, school, girls, baseball. girls... stuff like that. I don't mind fishing alone, I always have my grandson with me, and I like to be able to fish with two poles. I'm never lonely when I fish alone.
Anyway, fishing was obscenely good today. I fished for four hours and caught over 30 cats, had two on at a time several times. It just does not get any better than it was today. I caught several that were pushing 28 inches but most were in the mid-twenty range. Caught 'em on white bass.
Tomorrow, I catch the big one.
Not sure but is seem you maybe inviting the wrong ones,  if you was to invite the girls, then the boys would  be a jumpin at the chance to go with ya, Big Grin its all about using the right bait Wink

and nope never get tired of hearing about your fishing trips.
               O.C.F.D.