Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Lincoln report
(06-14-2021, 09:51 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Just want to add a quick Lincoln report to my Lincoln report -- I think I am beginning to over do my Lincoln reporting... Anyway, went out this a.m., arrived and in the channel at 5:15, no other fools out yet. I intended to fish close to the shoreline near the springs but the carp were absolutely going nuts -- sounded like I was fishing in a washing machine so headed out for some peace and quiet in about 8.5 fow. I was alone because I have been abandoned by my usual crew. They have temporarily developed other interests like girls, work, girls, school, girls, baseball. girls... stuff like that. I don't mind fishing alone, I always have my grandson with me, and I like to be able to fish with two poles. I'm never lonely when I fish alone.
Anyway, fishing was obscenely good today. I fished for four hours and caught over 30 cats, had two on at a time several times. It just does not get any better than it was today. I caught several that were pushing 28 inches but most were in the mid-twenty range. Caught 'em on white bass.
Tomorrow, I catch the big one.
Way to go Jim. A 30 fish day is to dream about. And no you are not over reporting. I love to hear what you tell. Was you fligging?
Monday was one of the best days I have ever had on UL. I was "strolling" at .05, using big chunks of wb on a 8/0 circle hooks. I had a rod in the pole holder on each side of the boat and more often than not the fish were hooking themselves before I could get to the rod. Several times I had a cat on before the bait could sink to the bottom. I did not keep an exact tally but I'm sure I caught right around 30 cats. Just one of those special days.

So... today I was back at 'em. On the water at 5:15 with a good supply of bait and a well rested arm. I started right out of the channel and picked up the first two cats, both ugly 26 inch males, within the first 50 yards out. Game on! Continued on toward the springs, same course as yesterday, and never caught another fish or had another hit. Dumbfounded! Could not believe I was not hauling them in. They were there, showing as big red blobs on the bottom, but no interest in my offerings. I did not try using fligs or a santee cooper cuz I figgered I had the right combination as evidenced by the day before. There was one difference today: I was using frozen wb. They were caught earlier this year and frozen in water to avoid any freezer burn or contamination. I have used frozen wb frequently in the past and always found them to work just fine. I always prefer fresh if available but I have confidence in properly frozen white bass.

So... It was still early, about 7:00, so I decided to load the boat up and drive around to my never-miss white bass spot at Mulberry and ketch a bunch of wb for tomorrow. I could think of no reason for the near skunk today after a banner day yesterday other than that the kitties simply preferred fresh food. ?? When I got to Mulberry, the entire shoreline was infested with over-sexed carp... hundreds of them frolicking in the water, some even flopping onto the shore rocks and then flopping back into the water. (insert a few bad words here). The white bass would have been crushed if they had ventured into the maelstrom of thrashing carp to snarf a floating midge. No fresh white bass.

Anyway, I plan to resume the quest tomorrow... maybe try some different rigs or whatever. I might try fresh carp meat?? No shortage there.

I notice that the channel depth is dropping noticeably every day. It dropped below 3 feet today, has been around 3.5 to 4 the past few trips. I doubt that the power squadrons will be active at Lincoln by July 4th -- maybe limited launching for all boats. 

Fish on. Hoping for a better day tomorrow.
Thanks Lynn for the report. Good to know about the channel depth. May have to move to provo to launch.... Let's hope not
(06-15-2021, 06:30 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Monday was one of the best days I have ever had on UL. I was "strolling" at .05, using big chunks of wb on a 8/0 circle hooks. I had a rod in the pole holder on each side of the boat and more often than not the fish were hooking themselves before I could get to the rod. Several times I had a cat on before the bait could sink to the bottom. I did not keep an exact tally but I'm sure I caught right around 30 cats. Just one of those special days.

So... today I was back at 'em. On the water at 5:15 with a good supply of bait and a well rested arm. I started right out of the channel and picked up the first two cats, both ugly 26 inch males, within the first 50 yards out. Game on! Continued on toward the springs, same course as yesterday, and never caught another fish or had another hit. Dumbfounded! Could not believe I was not hauling them in. They were there, showing as big red blobs on the bottom, but no interest in my offerings. I did not try using fligs or a santee cooper cuz I figgered I had the right combination as evidenced by the day before. There was one difference today: I was using frozen wb. They were caught earlier this year and frozen in water to avoid any freezer burn or contamination. I have used frozen wb frequently in the past and always found them to work just fine. I always prefer fresh if available but I have confidence in properly frozen white bass.

So... It was still early, about 7:00, so I decided to load the boat up and drive around to my never-miss white bass spot at Mulberry and ketch a bunch of wb for tomorrow. I could think of no reason for the near skunk today after a banner day yesterday other than that the kitties simply preferred fresh food. ?? When I got to Mulberry, the entire shoreline was infested with over-sexed carp... hundreds of them frolicking in the water, some even flopping onto the shore rocks and then flopping back into the water. (insert a few bad words here). The white bass would have been crushed if they had ventured into the maelstrom of thrashing carp to snarf a floating midge. No fresh white bass.

Anyway, I plan to resume the quest tomorrow... maybe try some different rigs or whatever. I might try fresh carp meat?? No shortage there.

I notice that the channel depth is dropping noticeably every day. It dropped below 3 feet today, has been around 3.5 to 4 the past few trips. I doubt that the power squadrons will be active at Lincoln by July 4th -- maybe limited launching for all boats. 

Thanks my friend. That report was why I don't ever want you to think you post too much. I will be back down. Thanks for the depth info also.
(06-17-2021, 01:04 AM)fast_randy Wrote:
(06-15-2021, 06:30 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Monday was one of the best days I have ever had on UL. I was "strolling" at .05, using big chunks of wb on a 8/0 circle hooks. I had a rod in the pole holder on each side of the boat and more often than not the fish were hooking themselves before I could get to the rod. Several times I had a cat on before the bait could sink to the bottom. I did not keep an exact tally but I'm sure I caught right around 30 cats. Just one of those special days.

Thanks my friend. That report was why I don't ever want you to think you post too much. I will be back down. Thanks for the depth info also.

Oh, I just wanted to say, fresh carp is great.