Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Strawberry Action 6-11-21
Been awhile, but I finally made it out on the water again..Fishing buddy made the invite, with his boat, and I was able to make the family arrangements for the time off...Up 0230 (sheesh!) meet and leave from the Weber park n ride, long, dark ride, to Strawberry by 0530..and lines in water just before 0600...That first hour was pretty action-packed, so sleep deprivation was worth it today...early on, we each got into 4 or 5 cutts, my buddy got the first decent koke, then I got 3 kokes in the boat...After that first hour, things did slow down alot as we were looking where else to go, but after awhile we returned to our first general area, getting 4 or 5 more nice cutts (all released) and then both getting a nice limit of average sized kokes, 2 @14", and the rest 16 to 17"...Off the water by 1130, it was a great morning...fishing success was (earliest) 25', then after 0900 mostly 31 to 33'...my planer board worked as good or better than the DR today, going 120', clip on board, then another 50 or 60'...that was getting me down around 28/29', and caught a lot of fish....for me, white early worked, then a little later (customized) rainbow assasin, pink assasin, watermellon hoochie, pink hoochie w/spin n glo....all tipped with shrimp flavored shoe-peg corn....lot of boats out there today, but we didn't join them...wind was an issue about 0830 to 1000, but then calmed down.. ..guluk... Smile
(06-12-2021, 05:28 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Been awhile, but I finally made it out on the water again..Fishing buddy made the invite, with his boat, and I was able to make the family arrangements for the time off...Up 0230 (sheesh!) meet and leave from the Weber park n ride, long, dark ride, to Strawberry by 0530..and lines in water just before 0600...That first hour was pretty action-packed, so sleep deprivation was worth it today...early on, we each got into 4 or 5 cutts, my buddy got the first decent koke, then I got 3 kokes in the boat...After that first hour, things did slow down alot as we were looking where else to go, but after awhile we returned to our first general area, getting 4 or 5 more nice cutts (all released) and then both getting a nice limit of average sized kokes, 2 @14", and the rest 16 to 17"...Off the water by 1130, it was a great morning...fishing success was (earliest) 25', then after 0900 mostly 31 to 33'...my planer board worked as good or better than the DR today, going 120', clip on board, then another 50 or 60'...that was getting me down around 28/29', and caught a lot of fish....for me, white early worked, then a little later (customized) rainbow assasin, pink assasin, watermellon hoochie, pink hoochie w/spin n glo....all tipped with shrimp flavored shoe-peg corn....lot of boats out there today, but we didn't join them...wind was an issue about 0830 to 1000, but then calmed down.. ..guluk... Smile
Sounds like a great trip Joe - except for the start time.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(06-12-2021, 05:28 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Been awhile, but I finally made it out on the water again..Fishing buddy made the invite, with his boat, and I was able to make the family arrangements for the time off...Up 0230 (sheesh!) meet and leave from the Weber park n ride, long, dark ride, to Strawberry by 0530..and lines in water just before 0600...That first hour was pretty action-packed, so sleep deprivation was worth it today...early on, we each got into 4 or 5 cutts, my buddy got the first decent koke, then I got 3 kokes in the boat...After that first hour, things did slow down alot as we were looking where else to go, but after awhile we returned to our first general area, getting 4 or 5 more nice cutts (all released) and then both getting a nice limit of average sized kokes, 2 @14", and the rest 16 to 17"...Off the water by 1130, it was a great morning...fishing success was (earliest) 25', then after 0900 mostly 31 to 33'...my planer board worked as good or better than the DR today, going 120', clip on board, then another 50 or 60'...that was getting me down around 28/29', and caught a lot of fish....for me, white early worked, then a little later (customized) rainbow assasin, pink assasin, watermellon hoochie, pink hoochie w/spin n glo....all tipped with shrimp flavored shoe-peg corn....lot of boats out there today, but we didn't join them...wind was an issue about 0830 to 1000, but then calmed down.. ..guluk... Smile

Great detailed report Joe, glad you were able to get out and enjoy a nice morning on the water. Question about your planer board setup, were you using some sort of weight to get your dodger and squid/lure setup down to to 28-29 ft?
Hey Bob -- yeah, if I was leaving from Bountiful to SLC and on up, I could have slept in and gotten up at 0300!......Curt, yeah, I'm referring to one of those 'Speed, wt, distance, depth' trolling charts, so speed is about 1.5, and my wt was 2 oz...Trolling works good for me, especially early season, or early A.M. all season...fun to watch the planer jump around, and it's adding another element and opportunity for fishing success...and if you have a young'n on board, you can tell them it's their job to watch the 'bobber' out there...
(06-12-2021, 11:04 PM)Jmorfish Wrote: Hey Bob -- yeah, if I was leaving from Bountiful to SLC and on up, I could have slept in and gotten up at 0300!......Curt, yeah, I'm referring to one of those 'Speed, wt, distance, depth' trolling charts, so speed is about 1.5, and my wt was 2 oz...Trolling works good for me, especially early season, or early A.M. all season...fun to watch the planer jump around, and it's adding another element and opportunity for fishing success...and if you have a young'n on board, you can tell them it's their job to watch the 'bobber' out there...

Yes, I figured that was what you were doing but I wasn't sure how much weight you needed to get down that deep. How far in front of the dodger did you put the weight? Was it one of those banana weights or a snap weight?
what the heck are you doing to yourself, i was on the water rat 7:am caught 15 kokes by 1 lost half a dozen more , probably 20 cutts bite was good all day at 35 feet
Curt, more like a torpedo weight, with attachments on each side, so it's an in-line sinker, and I have mine just in front of dodger...glow beads fore and aft of it, so hopefully it's just part of the attraction system....
Hey MtnCat -- I do enjoy my sleep like the next guy, but usually for kokes I like to be out there first light...I like the sunrise...congrats on your very fine day...kokanee are a resource to be treasured....
(06-13-2021, 05:31 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Curt, more like a torpedo weight, with attachments on each side, so it's an in-line sinker, and I have mine just in front of dodger...glow beads fore and aft of it, so hopefully it's just part of the attraction system....

I'm not sure I have seen weights like that, I have seen bullet weights that you line goes through but never that size. Got any pics of them or a link to an on line store that carries them? Thanks Joe.

I found these: https://www.amazon.com/Booms-Fishing-Car...SDKM&psc=1
(06-13-2021, 04:03 AM)Me I like to be through fishing by 8 to get away from all the boats, it.s not to hard for me to get up at 2:30 AMmaybe that is why no one likes to go fishing with me.   in a few more years will need to take turns when we goStrawberry is not big enough for all the boats that are coming.mtncat1 Wrote:
what the heck are you doing to yourself, i was on the water rat 7:am caught 15 kokes by 1 lost half a dozen more , probably 20 cutts bite was good all day at 35 feet
(06-13-2021, 01:11 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-13-2021, 05:31 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Curt, more like a torpedo weight, with attachments on each side, so it's an in-line sinker, and I have mine just in front of dodger...glow beads fore and aft of it, so hopefully it's just part of the attraction system....

I'm not sure I have seen weights like that, I have seen bullet weights that you line goes through but never that size. Got any pics of them or a link to an on line store that carries them? Thanks Joe.

I found these: https://www.amazon.com/Booms-Fishing-Car...SDKM&psc=1
Hey Curt -- just google 'in-line trolling torpedo weights'...mine are bigger on back end, more narrow up front...
This is what I came up with but they start at 4 oz:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/883491712/4...757a299fdb

Or maybe these are the right ones?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/910247543/2...rs=1&crt=1
(06-15-2021, 12:33 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: This is what I came up with but they start at 4 oz:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/883491712/4...757a299fdb

Or maybe these are the right ones?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/910247543/2...rs=1&crt=1

Yup, more like that last site...
Google "mooching weights" or "banana weights". They typically have chain swivels, usually available from 2oz and up. I used to use them for coho and chinook, but don't use bait anymore. Here's a link:

https://www.fishermanswarehouse.com/prod...zQQAvD_BwE

Also, if you get a Fish Hawk TD you can find your actual trolling depth with whatever rig you're using, as well as temperatures throughout the water column. Very helpful.
Single main, no kicker. Wink
(06-15-2021, 03:33 PM)Paddler Wrote: Google "mooching weights" or "banana weights".  They typically have chain swivels, usually available from 2oz and up.  I used to use them for coho and chinook, but don't use bait anymore.  Here's a link:

https://www.fishermanswarehouse.com/prod...zQQAvD_BwE

Also, if you get a Fish Hawk TD you can find your actual trolling depth with whatever rig you're using, as well as temperatures throughout the water column.  Very helpful.

Those are the weights I use as well, I have never tried to confirm this but I have thought that banana weights might give the lure a side to side sway or a little more action.
While this (pretty much trolling) thread is still up, I need to confess a HUGE mistake I'd been making last season, in using the "depth, distance, speed, weight" charts...I know you guys are smarter than me, but maybe me figuring out my error will help 1 or 2 of you to not make the same mistake....SO....getting your lure down to the desired depth is the goal.....Here was my mistake....I would let out (for example) 50' of line, clip on my planer, then go out another 50'....in this example, I was thinking I was out 100' to get the depth I wanted, with the weight I had on....WRONG....I was only out 50'....the other 50' is just the pull away from the boat, not contributing to desired depth....So now if I need 100' distance to get my desired depth, I have to let 100' of line out, then clip on the planer, and then let out 40 or 50' more just to 'plane' away from the boat...Last season I was lucky getting some fish up higher than I thought, cuz where I thought I was down 30/35', I was probably only 20/25', or maybe even shallower....Hope this helps....Guluk...