Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unitas

[Image: Grayling-1.jpg]

[Image: Grayling-2.jpg]

My brother and his son took me to one of their secret North Slope lakes today,  At 9000 feet there was no snow.

Despite the weather front we just got over, the fish were eager and willing.  I was quite shocked to find Grayling, and Bows, all feeding on emerging black caddis.
Wow, 9,000ft and no snow this time of year. Crazy

Glad you were able to get into them.
Ya, me too, but I looked on the internet and I can't find dust flies to catch fish from the dry lakes and streams.
(06-16-2021, 10:54 PM)Anglinarcher Wrote: Ya, me too, but I looked on the internet and I can't find dust flies to catch fish from the dry lakes and streams.

Get your wife to save you some "dust bunnies" from her cleaning routine.  Use small hooks and superfine thread...to make these "dry" patterns.

When I moved to Arizona back in the 1980s I wrote a satirical piece on my new "fishing in the desert" escapades.  Wish I had saved a copy.  It suggested flipping the base of large cacti for lizards and snakes...using deer hair mice or large insect flies.  I also suggested using "pellet flies" tied to look like the dried foods we put out for the bunnies and squirrels in our new neighborhood.  For those who preferred real bait I surmised that a simple piece of bread on a hook would get action from the myriads of doves and quail that came in for the daily feedings (chum?).

But I couldn't wear my donut float tube around my waist while fishing in my new desert environment.  Kept bumping into sharp prickly things.

I have been joking that the fish in Utah will all be wearing sneakers by the end of the year.  That's not a funny joke.
"I have been joking that the fish in Utah will all be wearing sneakers by the end of the year.  That's not a funny joke."

Pat, you have to laugh, or you will end up crying. Cry
(06-12-2021, 05:29 AM)Anglinarcher Wrote:
[Image: Grayling-1.jpg]

[Image: Grayling-2.jpg]

My brother and his son took me to one of their secret North Slope lakes today,  At 9000 feet there was no snow.

Despite the weather front we just got over, the fish were eager and willing.  I was quite shocked to find Grayling, and Bows, all feeding on emerging black caddis.

Happy to hear that you were able to get out in the mountains with family.