Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Help needed fathers day.
I'm not going to buy a third cabelas trolling reel..  can someone tell me what they have that will last.. needs a line counter. Thanks
(06-13-2021, 04:28 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: I'm not going to buy a third cabelas trolling reel..  can someone tell me what they have that will last.. needs a line counter. Thanks

I have at least one Cabelas but the ones I've had for over twenty years are Okuma, they are starting to show their age now but I still use them a lot every year:
https://www.amazon.com/Okuma-Counter-Lev...853&sr=8-5

This is one of their new models that I'm thinking about buying:
https://www.amazon.com/Okuma-Magda-Star-...NXIY&psc=1
I'm not sure of what you want to pay, but the Okuma reels are good and the Magda is really good for the price.  I have noticed that if you fish late in the year when the water is not frozen but the air temps are below freezing, condensation in the line counter can freeze and damage the gears.  Happens only very very rarely, but can happen.

The Okuma Coldwater series is even better.
https://www.okumafishing.com/en/product/...unter.html
x2 on the Magda (from my research).
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Hmmm. I have three Cabelas Depthmaster III (30 Series) reels and love them. One is about 20 years old and the other two are at least 10 years old. Never had an issue with any of them except a sticky line counter once in a while. I just clean them up and they are ready to go again. Caught tons of kokanee at the Gorge as well as lots of cutthroat and lake trout out of Bear Lake. The gears are metal so I have never wore out a set yet. What is the issue you've had with yours? Are they the same make/model as I listed above?
(06-13-2021, 07:20 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: Hmmm. I have three Cabelas Depthmaster III (30 Series) reels and love them.  One is about 20 years old and the other two are at least 10 years old.  Never had an issue with any of them except a sticky line counter once in a while.  I just clean them up and they are ready to go again.  Caught tons of kokanee at the Gorge as well as lots of cutthroat and lake trout out of Bear Lake.  The gears are metal so I have never wore out a set yet.  What is the issue you've had with yours?  Are they the same make/model as I listed above?

I just went out and looked at my line counter reels and I have two Cabelas depthmaster 30 and one Okuma 30. My other Okuma is not a line counter. So my two oldest line counter reels are one of each brands, at right around 20 years. Both have had issues, the line counter on the Cabelas, was sticking, until I took it apart and cleaned it. The Okuma, which I think is my oldest, makes a squeaking noise when I reel in line but at 20 years old, that is something you might expect. Just ordered a new Okuma to replace it.
Try this and don’t even mess with the bulky line counter reels.
[Image: FD030-A24-91-E8-4-E70-8-C77-CF87-B2-E0-B4-A4.png]
??? Hey Shane what does line have to do with buying a line counter reel? Are you saying you can just use colored line in place of a line counter reel?
(06-13-2021, 07:20 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: Hmmm. I have three Cabelas Depthmaster III (30 Series) reels and love them.  One is about 20 years old and the other two are at least 10 years old.  Never had an issue with any of them except a sticky line counter once in a while.  I just clean them up and they are ready to go again.  Caught tons of kokanee at the Gorge as well as lots of cutthroat and lake trout out of Bear Lake.  The gears are metal so I have never wore out a set yet.  What is the issue you've had with yours?  Are they the same make/model as I listed above?

I've  had two , lasted 8 or 10 years. Now the line counter does not turn and the clicker switch will not ingage. I've never taken them apart, think I'll try that. Maybe I can fix them thanks.
I am aware that there are cheaper ones, and more expensive line-counter reels out there, but I now have 3 of the DAIWA Accudepth Plus 27LCB reels..I bought my first about 7 years ago, then 2 more 3 or 4 years ago...no issues...Cabela's, Scheel's, and Sportsman's should have them...priced about $ 75 to $ 85...Guluk...and like others have said, maybe just a good cleaning of your old ones will do the trick...
Hi Curt,
I have just found line counter reels are not only bulky but also the counter mechanism is the weak link.
This line is colored in four different colors and changes 20 or 25’ ( I can’t remember the footage exactly) every color, similiar to letting lead core line out.
I was just throwin’ it out there in case anyone was interested.
At least a guy can run it on his favorite, trusted reel.
(06-14-2021, 12:36 AM)MrShane Wrote: Hi Curt,
I have just found line counter reels are not only bulky but also the counter mechanism is the weak link.
This line is colored in four different colors and changes 20 or 25’ ( I can’t remember the footage exactly) every color, similiar to letting lead core line out.
I was just throwin’ it out there in case anyone was interested.
At least a guy can run it on his favorite, trusted reel.

The reels I posted a link to are bulky but I've never had a problem with them but there are so many types of line counter reels, if one is too bulky, I'm sure one of the low profile models would be more to your liking. Weak link, not sure how many years you can get out of colored braid line but 20 years seem like a decent amount of time for a reel that I paid less than $40 for all those years ago, that I'm still using today. The biggest issue that most people have when using line counters, is they are not exactly right or foot for foot correct but what a lot of people don't realize is that does not matter. What matters is that you can get back to that exact spot that you caught that last fish at, no matter if it is 20, 40, or 60 ft on the line counter reel you have. I agree with you about it being another option, I too used the colored line years ago before I bought my first line counter, nothing wrong with having other options. Let me add a few links to a low profile line counter that someone might be interested in:
https://www.amazon.com/Coldwater-Profile...IRJS&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-Accudepth-L...0EBQ&psc=1
Sounds good Curt.
Hopefully one of these days I run in to you at Willard!
(06-13-2021, 10:51 PM)doitall5000 Wrote:

I've  had two , lasted 8 or 10 years. Now the line counter does not turn and the clicker switch will not ingage. I've never taken them apart, think I'll try that. Maybe I can fix them thanks.

Soo I was able to get the line counter working but not the clicker.  
Just a note for you,  it has three different length screws on the housing, pay attention. 
I'm going shopping on Amazon there having a week special on June 21. I think. Thanks everyone great help..
I have some Daiwas Accudepths that I have used for 15 years now without any issues. Get the 17 size it is smaller. Been using the Daiwa LEXA and am happy with it. Low profile but about $120 bucks. ABU GARCIA has some low profiles but I haven't had any experience with them. In general ABU makes great reels. As for lead core it is very speed dependent and I don't like having over 150 feet of line out behind the boat. You also need a big reel to handle all the line needed for 40 foot depths. Lead core is really designed to get crankbaits deeper. Works great for that. Used it all the time trolling for walleyes 20ft down or so.
Stan,
Just to be clear the line I posted is not lead core, it is light braid in colored segments. It is not for getting lures deeper, it is designed so you know your setbacks without need of a line counter reel that no matter the quality of reel can’t even measure out correct footages anyway.
I agree 100% with you about lead core taking cranks to >20 fow. 
But in Utah most people only want leadcore for those hideous cowbell set-ups.
Take care.
Sorry for confusion. I actually use that braid on my spinning reels for trolling crank baits LOL. I have the trolling depth charts on my phone so that line is perfect. Quicker than the count strips method.
Needed to read the label better. Not many fishermen know about that braid and you don't see it in the stores around here.
I've purchased the old Shimano Tekota Line counter and have to say it is the top of the line - the new model does look good but I haven't bought one yet

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/shimano-...lsrc=aw.ds
(06-13-2021, 04:28 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: I'm not going to buy a third cabelas trolling reel..  can someone tell me what they have that will last.. needs a line counter. Thanks

I love my Diawas, keep them clean and lubricated and they work great.
I am a fan of Okuma which I have 4 different models, 2 of which is cold water series. 1 have a set of 354 low profile and 203 set. I really like these 2 models.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF