Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Fee Confusion
I have no problem paying a fee when I feel I am getting something worthwhile in return. The operators at Strawberry should be ashamed of them selves. All of the facilities are run down and either are in disrepair or flat out don't work.

I was reamed last year be a campground host for using the fish cleaning station in the campground. My mistake was trying to put guts down the grinder. she told me to put the guts in a plastic bag and take them to the dumpster because it plugs up the grinder. I told her that is what the fish cleaning station is for and that she should get ahold of whoever is making all the money and tell them to put new blades in grinder because that is what the fees are for.
It just chaps me that I pay full price and expect a certain level of return on my money but am getting pennies on the dollar in service.

I will also contact the RHWL Staff Officer and let them know something need to change.
This thread has been interesting.  If nothing else, I think I will need to see how to submit a FOIA request.
Interesting, I went to Strawberry today. Overhead water pipe leak was fixed - you don't take a shower while cleaning fish.
(06-16-2021, 01:43 PM)WET1 Wrote: Regarding your information that there is a budgetary limit for repairs/upgrades it's even more onerous than that as the Forest Service pays for all repairs, not the contracted vendor and therefore every repair has to be approved by the forest service. Just another example of how this contract is so upside down. the vendor is getting a basically guaranteed profit margin with no capital risk.
Todd, you may be correct on that, but that isn't what the RHWL Staff Officer told me on the phone.  The concessionaire is responsible for the cost of minor repairs up to a certain amount.  Replacement of a broken toilet paper holder might be one while replacement of a fish cleaning station grinder or a floating dock might not.  This most likely is all spelled out in the contract, but I'm not interested enough in those kinds of details to wade through the FOIA process to find out.  I don't plan on using Strawberry at all during the soft water season.  Way to far to go for me for day trips and I no longer have an RV to camp in up there.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(06-17-2021, 01:13 AM)dubob Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 01:43 PM)WET1 Wrote: Regarding your information that there is a budgetary limit for repairs/upgrades it's even more onerous than that as the Forest Service pays for all repairs, not the contracted vendor and therefore every repair has to be approved by the forest service. Just another example of how this contract is so upside down. the vendor is getting a basically guaranteed profit margin with no capital risk.
Todd, you may be correct on that, but that isn't what the RHWL Staff Officer told me on the phone.  The concessionaire is responsible for the cost of minor repairs up to a certain amount.  Replacement of a broken toilet paper holder might be one while replacement of a fish cleaning station grinder or a floating dock might not.  This most likely is all spelled out in the contract, but I'm not interested enough in those kinds of details to wade through the FOIA process to find out.  I don't plan on using Strawberry at all during the soft water season.  Way to far to go for me for day trips and I no longer have an RV to camp in up there.
  Sounds like we're both probably right. My information came last year from the concessionaire and the conversation was regarding the 3 broken fish grinders on the Soldier creek side at the time. There was also a raw sewage leak running into the lake I found and reported and they had to get approval from the forest service to call out a contractor to come fix the blockage in the mainline.
  They still haven't fixed the 3 broken fish grinders and this is the 3rd year they've been boarded up.
Sunrise on the water
(06-16-2021, 02:07 PM)fishskibum Wrote: its 106 and theyre down at rio grand loading homeless peoples source of shade and belongings into dumpsters
but yeah your cost per kokanee limit and freedumbs  to use a recreational boat launch as you see fit
sure pale in comparison to their issuies and the drought
i sent a link to the thread to my congressional delegates
dont shed too much blood on this particular 1st world freedom problem
or let people know they make you gag fore ya ask em for sumthins
would be my advice

I don’t think anyone asked for your advice on a issue you have no idea about. Your opinion means nothing on an issue about fee’s when you say “I launch for free”

Mod note - technically he has the right to his opinion so long as it follows site rules. The issue at hand is more along the lines of when comments get personal or in otherwise drift off the guidelines we all agreed to follow to use a free site to share our passion
Moderator interjection - so much fun to do - not

This post is turning personal in a hurry and tracking way off site rules. Had multiple complaints about it. I am a horrible site moderator, would much rather be weeding my garden than trying to manage this,  but even I can see that the anger starting to take over. We all love the same thing. Lets keep it to that and hold the rest of the chatter to other social media forums.  I will be "moderating" a few comments in this thread - if it torques you off PM me - I dont love doing it.

I made a couple tweaks, added some thoughts, that are my own, to various posts in the thread, and attempted to be a moderator. There aint no class on this. So feel free to vote me out if it raised your hackles.  There is a place, i believe to interject thoughts on cultural, social, or other like issues, even on this site. But we all agreed to a set of conduct rules, to use the free site to share our passion - IE fishing.

No personal attacks - no matter how clever or not they are may be
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew