Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 6/16
I took my son and his friend to Strawberry this morning.  We had lines in the water by 0530 and action was hot and heavy for an hour and a half.  I didn't sit down for the first time until 0700.  Early white squids with pink dodgers were on the menu between 20 and 30 feet, although the biggest fish of the day (a kokanee that went almost 22 inches) came on an orange squid/orange dodger combo at 40 feet.  

We caught another strong bite from 1000 to 1130 with pink squids and pink dodgers between 20 and 30 feet.

The boys lost a bunch but we took our limits home by noon after a little run around the lake.  My boy's friend caught his first fish ever, a kokanee, and was pretty pleased to have dinner for his family tonight.  They missed quite a few fish and our limits included 2 rainbows.  We also had 6 or 7 cutts that were all released.

If only the boys knew how to fillet...
Nicely done...wasn't it still a little dark at 0530? Fish showing up pretty good on your screen?
(06-16-2021, 10:20 PM)Jmorfish Wrote: Nicely done...wasn't it still a little dark at 0530? Fish showing up pretty good on your screen?

Thanks.  0530 was just about right, actually.  We were the first to get the ramp wet today, although there was a boat from the marina at SC that beat us to the grounds.

I like fishing "purple light" at the transition from dark to first light.  It's probably a little earlier and darker than others prefer, for the most part. 

Actually, the fish on the screen were a little spotty.  When I found them, there were a lot of them.  I followed the shade line of the mountain on the water, in and out of the direct light for a couple hours and found schools and onsie/twosies.  I don't think they've really stratified into tight schools yet, with a few exceptions, based on what I saw on the fish machine.
3 of us were there also may have seen you in my tracker with a black top, are biggest one also was 22"
fun day. but hot.
Nice job guys, glad to see the consistency coming up
(06-16-2021, 11:53 PM)liketrolling Wrote: 3 of us were there also may have seen you in my tracker with a black top, are biggest one also was 22"
fun day. but hot.

I do recall seeing a black aluminum boat, but didn't notice if it was a tracker.  I was there in a white Trophy with the tower. 

The 22" kokanee are fun.  It doesn't take long to know something is on the other side.   Big Grin
(06-17-2021, 03:42 AM)Downriggerer Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 11:53 PM)liketrolling Wrote: 3 of us were there also may have seen you in my tracker with a black top, are biggest one also was 22"
fun day. but hot.

I do recall seeing a black aluminum boat, but didn't notice if it was a tracker.  I was there in a white Trophy with the tower. 

The 22" kokanee are fun.  It doesn't take long to know something is on the other side.   Big Grin

I remember seeing your boat come into the area we were fishing around 10 or 11 am. Not many Trophy boats like that around. I was with Liketrolling and that 22 incher made three sizzling runs before we got it to the net, best koke I've caught there in years.
(06-17-2021, 08:54 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-17-2021, 03:42 AM)Downriggerer Wrote:
fun day. but hot.

I remember seeing your boat come into the area we were fishing around 10 or 11 am. Not many Trophy boats like that around. I was with Liketrolling and that 22 incher made three sizzling runs before we got it to the net, best koke I've caught there in years.

Yeah, we started closer to the marina and moved as it slowed down around 10-11:00.  The only reason I play the kokanee game is for a shot at those bigger fish.  I've got one on my wall that tapes out to almost 24".  Those big ones are so strong they can rip their own lips off so it's always a heart attack if they want to rodeo right behind the boat.  They are just a lot of fun though.

I got bit by the saltwater bug a while ago.  I called around everywhere in Salt Lake to try and get a tower built.  Everyone wanted to repurpose a wakeboard tower, which is not what I wanted.  I found a guy outside of Portland to get the tower put on.  It's not the best boat for saltwater fishing.  But, it is is minimally acceptable for what I do.  It's nice to have a place to get rods out of the way, to see in the dark with the radar and lights, get the marine radio antenna out of the way, get the 360 light out of the way, and, sometimes, even have an extra handle to grab onto when things are a little more nautical than I would prefer.
[Image: cut-6-17-2021.jpg]

here is a 4.5 lb we got today.
today on my garmin  live scope saw fish dive,  saw one big school (about 20) dive from 30 feet to the bottom at 70 feet.
I had some flash on a ball got rid of that and the fish stopped diving.
(06-16-2021, 10:12 PM)Downriggerer Wrote: I took my son and his friend to Strawberry this morning.  We had lines in the water by 0530 and action was hot and heavy for an hour and a half.  I didn't sit down for the first time until 0700.  Early white squids with pink dodgers were on the menu between 20 and 30 feet, although the biggest fish of the day (a kokanee that went almost 22 inches) came on an orange squid/orange dodger combo at 40 feet.  

We caught another strong bite from 1000 to 1130 with pink squids and pink dodgers between 20 and 30 feet.

The boys lost a bunch but we took our limits home by noon after a little run around the lake.  My boy's friend caught his first fish ever, a kokanee, and was pretty pleased to have dinner for his family tonight.  They missed quite a few fish and our limits included 2 rainbows.  We also had 6 or 7 cutts that were all released.

Sounds like a great morning!  Thanks for the report
(06-18-2021, 02:24 PM)sliverslinger Wrote:
(06-16-2021, 10:12 PM)Downriggerer Wrote: I took my son and his friend to Strawberry this morning.  We had lines in the water by 0530 and action was hot and heavy for an hour and a half.  I didn't sit down for the first time until 0700.  Early white squids with pink dodgers were on the menu between 20 and 30 feet, although the biggest fish of the day (a kokanee that went almost 22 inches) came on an orange squid/orange dodger combo at 40 feet.  

Sounds like a great morning!  Thanks for the report

It was a good way to turn 40.