Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek Slam 6-16-21
Wanted to go fishing but not in triple digit heat.  Figured Deer Creek would offer a bit cooler spot.  It did.  53 nice degrees air temp at 7 am launch...but up to 89 at noon departure.  Water temps started at 66 and rose a couple of degrees to 68 by noon.  Oh yeah, the whole lake filled up with boats and water toys by then too.  Bye bye.

Got to see Rocky's new black tracker.  Good to see ya again ol' buddy.  Glad you got a couple for your efforts.

My 4 species slam started out slow.  I was trying my whirly fligs for walleyes.  The ones in Willard liked them so I figured Deer Creek dearies should too.  They did.  But my first fish was a footlong smallie.  And my next fish was a 7 inch BLUEGILL.  To the best of my reckymemberies that is the first bluegill I have ever caught at Deer Creek.  I have caught grundles of green sunnies, but that was a first on bluegill. 

Then I worked through an area that had a few perch.  They loved the whirlies.  Had a few of them strip the bait or at least destroy it.  Hooked a few from about 6" to almost 11".  Kept a couple of the larger ones.

After a lot of S turns and changing colors on the whirlies I got into an area with some active walleyes.  Caught 5 and kept 3.  The two smallest were mere footlongs.  The largest was 16".  Didn't see any of the other boats bring in anything but a couple of perch.

By 11 am it was getting hot and the boat traffic was getting a bit heavier.  One wakeboard boat was running the rocky shoreline only a few feet out from some fisherfolk trying to do their thing.  Some people's kids.

Ended up with a mixed basket of perch, smallie and walleyes.  Should be good for some surf and surf.  (Oven broiled with shrimp)

Well done, well done indeed. Smile
Sounds like a decent day on the water. It is nice to finally see some pictures. Not sure how you posted them, but wish all pictures were posted the way you posted yours.
I launched right after TD and dragged a bottom bouncer around the island. Picked up two wallies, a dink and a dinner. After a while went to the west side to dodge that wake boat and enjoy smallie tugs. They loved a yellow Beetle Spin with a bit of crawler. Kept one nice smallie to round out the wallie dinner.

There's no fish cleaning station at the ramp we used, so I stopped at Jordanelle on the way home to do the filleting. At the gate, the boat checker asked me where and when I had used my boat last. I said, "Deer Creek, 27 minutes ago." He looked perplexed, and so I told him I wasn't going to launch at Jordy, just use the fish cleaning station. He laughed and waved me through. Weather was great, tugs were great, and seeing Pat again was great, also.
(06-16-2021, 11:13 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Sounds like a decent day on the water.  It is nice to finally see some pictures.  Not sure how you posted them, but wish all pictures were posted the way you posted yours.
You and I both have Centurylink.  Apparently it is the only internet provider that screens out the unsecured website BFT uses to host the pictures.  So I can't see the ones put up with "Add image to post" either.  So I use the "New Attachment" option for pictures...and PDF files.  Once you have your picture/attachment added, you have to put the cursor where you want it to appear and then go down and click on the option to put it into the post.

Most other members find it easier to simply add images...and they can see them.  We are discriminated against.
As always great and very informative article. I always look forward to your posts, pictures and the education I recive even after I thought I had fishing perfected...wishful thinking.
(06-17-2021, 01:44 AM)Farmboat Wrote: As always great and very informative article. I always look forward to your posts, pictures and the education I recive even after I thought I had fishing perfected...wishful thinking.

Thanks.  I appreciate your appreciation.

Does any angler ever reach "perfection"?  I have been a lifelong student of the many aspects of fishing.  And I still learn something new every trip.  Or, at my age I may just be relearning something I have forgotten.

I have had the good fortune to have fished many places...with many other knowledgeable anglers.  I'd like to think I have accumulated a fair amount of knowledge.  And I can attest that each bit of new knowledge acquired becomes a new building block upon which to add even more new knowledge if you are a bit creative.  That's why it is great to have a forum in which we can share our knowledge and gain more new things from others.
Pat,
Nice work. My grand total walleye count for the year is 3. 2 through the ice on Deer creek and one at Oneida narrows in Idaho. I will blame my lack of total trips. I gotta get out more.
Gabe
(06-17-2021, 01:49 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: Pat,
Nice work. My grand total walleye count for the year is 3. 2 through the ice on Deer creek and one at Oneida narrows in Idaho. I will blame my lack of total trips. I gotta get out more.
Gabe
Wanna "hook up" next week?
Pat. You do know "hook up" has a whole different meaning these days...at least that is what my boys tell me Wink
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(06-17-2021, 03:57 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Pat. You do know "hook up" has a whole different meaning these days...at least that is what my boys tell me Wink

How times change.
Remember when people wore thongs on their feet?
(06-17-2021, 03:57 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Pat. You do know "hook up" has a whole different meaning these days...at least that is what my boys tell me Wink

Yeah, I know.  That's why the "quotes".   Gabe ain't my type for the "other kind".  And he always wants to lead when we dance.

Also, I get the hook-ups when I swallow something dry and it doesn't quite go down right.
As always, great report and pics Pat, sounds like a awesome morning on the water.
(06-17-2021, 04:20 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

Yeah, I know.  That's why the "quotes".   Gabe ain't my type for the "other kind".  And he always wants to lead when we dance.

Also, I get the hook-ups when I swallow something dry and it doesn't quite go down right.
Wow, this made me laugh Pat. Too funny.
Gabe

(06-17-2021, 02:21 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
Gabe

Pat
I would like to tube with you, but more than likely I would set up a date and end up standing you up. Life has been crazy busy. 
Gabe
(06-18-2021, 08:32 AM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:
(06-17-2021, 02:21 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
Gabe

Pat
I would like to tube with you, but more than likely I would set up a date and end up standing you up. Life has been crazy busy. 
Gabe
Sorry you are experiencing whatever it is you are going through.  LIFE is a four letter word.  But, then again, so is FISH.  And I have always found fishing to be my best "brain broom" when life gets too heavy.

Hang in there Gabe.  And if you can see a window in your schedule PM me and we can work something out.
(06-17-2021, 04:20 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

Ya I figured you were just messing with the current generations play on words, but I had not commented on your posts lately and had to get in on the fun.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew