Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another day on Willard Bay
Video 
My wife and I got on the water and started fishing by 6:20 am. 
As happened last trip not a bite for the first hour even though we were marking plenty of fish. 
Stayed with crankbaits in #5 &7 trying multiple colors and depths. I dont know if the fish just turned on or if the color did the trick but we started catching multiple species on a perch colored glass rap and when that slowed went to a fire tiger shad rap.
All said and done we pulled off the water by 12:30 PM with a total count of 8 walleye most were small, 3 wipers that were between 4.2 and 4.7 pounds and 4 channel cats that were also in the 4 pound range.

[Image: 20210617-070958.jpg]

[Image: 20210617-103822.jpg]
We also talked to who I believe was Tin can as per name on the boat and Doitall at the cleaning station. Both were great to share info.
(06-17-2021, 08:57 PM)Farmboat Wrote: My wife and I got on the water and started fishing by 6:20 am. 
As happened last trip not a bite for the first hour even though we were marking plenty of fish. 
Stayed with crankbaits in #5 &7 trying multiple colors and depths. I dont know if the fish just turned on or if the color did the trick but we started catching multiple species on a perch colored glass rap and when that slowed went to a fire tiger shad rap.
All said and done we pulled off the water by 12:30 PM with a total count of 8 walleye most were small, 3 wipers that were between 4.2 and 4.7 pounds and 4 channel cats that were also in the 4 pound range.
We also talked to who I believe was Tin can as per name on the boat and Doitall at the cleaning station. Both were great to share info.

Another great report and pics, hope we do as well tomorrow. Same location as last time?
From the light pole trolling south about 200 yards off of the west dike. Most fish were caught towards the north end.
100 to 120 feet of line out at 2.0 mph.
Nice!  And, go Titans!
(06-17-2021, 09:27 PM)Farmboat Wrote: From the light pole trolling south about 200 yards off of the west dike. Most fish were caught towards the north end.
100 to 120 feet of line out at 2.0 mph.
Sounds like you were trolling the trench. It's loaded with fish right now. Just have to be using the right color and sounds like you found something they like. 

Myself I can't stand fishing out there with all the dang horse fly's. Did you get eaten alive? 

Thanks for the report.

(06-17-2021, 09:05 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-17-2021, 08:57 PM)Farmboat Wrote: My wife and I got on the water and started fishing by 6:20 am. 

Another great report and pics, hope we do as well tomorrow. Same location as last time?
Did I mention retired people suck! Just kidding. Good luck tomorrow.  Big Grin
We were actually east of the trench and we did see a couple of horse flies but no blood was lost to them. They didn't hang around but plenty of the other small clingy bugs.
(06-17-2021, 10:13 PM)Farmboat Wrote: We were actually east of the trench and we did see a couple of horse flies but no blood was lost to them. They didn't hang around but plenty of the other small clingy bugs.
Well that's good. We haven't been getting out very early so maybe that was the difference in the horse flies. Those dang little bugger will cover you up quick out there. 

Maybe I should have trolled to the east of it more. 

If you see a red boat out there wave and say hi. Maybe can share some info. 

[Image: MVIMG-20200815-144910.jpg]

fnf Cool
Will do.

My son and i were on the water at willard the same time this morning coming in from the North Marina. It was slow but we managed to boat our limit of eyes by 1030 only one small eye (15 inches) the rest went from 17 1/2 to 23 inches all on flicker shad. No fisherman in the area we fished which was nice. The largest eye went 3.32. Havent been catching many wipers which is fine with me. We did manage two perch largest being 12 1/2 inches.
(06-18-2021, 12:02 AM)PACKFAN Wrote:

My son and i were on the water at willard the same time this morning coming in from the North Marina. It was slow but we managed to boat our limit of eyes by 1030 only one small eye (15 inches) the rest went from 17 1/2 to 23 inches all on flicker shad. No fisherman in the area we fished which was nice. The largest eye went 3.32. Havent been catching many wipers which is fine with me. We did manage two perch largest being 12 1/2 inches.
I trolled a flicker shad from my yak and used a bottom bouncer with a worm harness, I could only turn up 2 channel cats on the flicker shad but maybe that was because I only spent an hour and a half or so on the water.

Were you trolling out in the openness. We have only caught bigger walleye well off shore. If we get even within 500yrds of any shoreline the walleye get smaller the closer we get. Just my observation. Sounds like a dang good morning.
(06-18-2021, 02:22 PM)fishinfool Wrote:

Were you trolling out in the openness. We have only caught bigger walleye well off shore. If we get even within 500yrds of any shoreline the walleye get smaller the closer we get. Just my observation. Sounds like a dang good morning.

I have mainly been fishing the open water and trying to stay away from the boats as much as I can. We are in 13 to 14 feet of water now. will be heading back up a morning or two next week. I had reservations for a week up there which would have started this past Weds. but with the predicted hot weather and mainly fishing the mornings  I didnt feel like sitting in camp the rest of the day. That was suppose to be my Fathers Day and 74th Birthday trip. Thats OK though we hope to be headed back home to Northern Wis. for a couple weeks the end of July.
[Image: Crestliner-going-into-her-20th-season.jpg] If you see the old Crestliner Give me a wave, I think I have seen your red Skeeter on the water there.