Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Experiment at Willard
This morning at 5:45 my brother and I were waiting for the north marina gate to open. The plan was to start early and leave before the hoardes of wave boats arrived and tied up the boat ramp for hours. In addition to my usual Flig setup tipped with sucker I put out an additional rod rigged with a slip float and baited with sucker. The idea was to put a rod rigged with a Flig out each side of the boat and the slip float rod in the middle and slightly farther back.  I have tried using more than 2 rods before and it always ends with an energetic cat swimming laps around the extra lines. The first hour gave up only 2 cats so we moved to greener pastures and in the next hour and a half landed 8 to 10 more, didn't keep close count. So, how well did the slip float idea work? Not bad. I had the bait suspended 6 feet below the float and every time we trolled over a shad school a cat would grab it. When we left at 8:45 the float rod accounted for 3 bonus fish and no tangles. Almost forgot to mention, the shad schools were in 13 to14 feet.
In full disclosure, 3 cats were harmed/ killed and eaten in the name of science.  Now to see if I can post photos.

[Image: 20210620-130106.jpg]
Now that makes me hungry.
Nice work.  Not surprised your suspended offerings got favorable attention.  I have caught a lot of cats from Willard fishing a "bobberhead jig" and minnow only a few feet deep over as much as 20 feet of water. 

[Image: BOBBERHEAD-KITTY.jpg]

The cats in Willard are every bit the predators that walleye and wipers are.  They focus on the shad too.  And there are a lot of anglers who have caught cats on topwater while casting to wiper boils.
I can't wait, tomorrow I'm making a good old southern fried cat fish with grits, and hushpuppies. Bring back old memories.  ?
I bet some of you "good old boys " have some recipes you can share??
Soak it in cholula hot sauce before you bread it! Thats been my go to lately on my fish fry recipes. Adds flavor and minimal heat
(06-20-2021, 11:05 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: I can't wait, tomorrow I'm making a good old southern fried cat fish with grits, and hushpuppies. Bring back old memories.  ?
I bet some of you "good old boys " have some recipes you can share??

Southern fried catfish, grits, hushpuppies...........  yeah buddy that brings back some fond memories of my 17 years + living in Georgia and N. Carolina.  While I was in south Georgia (Lowndes County area) there was a mom and pop Buffet just down the road from the Valdosta Technical Institute where I was attending some GI Bill courses. Several of us would eat lunch there once or twice a week. They always had fried catfish, fried okra, hushpuppies, and other southern fare on the buffet. 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool