Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chubs?
I want to catch some chubs for bait and wondering if anyone has caught any recently at Scofield or Lower Fish Creek below the dam.  The outlet flows look pretty high right now (94 cfs yesterday), which usually means they get scattered down river.  Any recent experience/observations much appreciated.

FYI - I'm trying to restock my supply for fishing at Strawberry and for ice fishing season.

jack of all tackle, master of none
they are all over strawberry if you see a big school at 10 to 20 feet down stop the boat and get the worms out
Scofield and settlement i havent had any chub luck lately, switched to yuba carp fillets!
(06-22-2021, 07:24 PM)joatmon Wrote: I want to catch some chubs for bait and wondering if anyone has caught any recently at Scofield or Lower Fish Creek below the dam.  The outlet flows look pretty high right now (94 cfs yesterday), which usually means they get scattered down river.  Any recent experience/observations much appreciated.

FYI - I'm trying to restock my supply for fishing at Strawberry and for ice fishing season.

There's plenty in Scofield in the shallows.  
You just have to beat the pelicans to getem. Tongue
Plenty of chubs in Lost Creek.
(06-22-2021, 07:24 PM)joatmon Wrote: I want to catch some chubs for bait and wondering if anyone has caught any recently at Scofield or Lower Fish Creek below the dam.  The outlet flows look pretty high right now (94 cfs yesterday), which usually means they get scattered down river.  Any recent experience/observations much appreciated.

As a follow up, my wife and went down to just below the dam at Scofield last night and caught 16 chubs and one 8" wiper!  It was a good couple of hours of fishing.  Our best luck was right where the outlet and spillway channels join.  We were throwing nightcrawler nubs on a hook about 12-18" under a bobber.  We would cast into the still water of the spillway channel and let the bobber drift.  Caught most, including the wiper, just at the edge of the faster water.  We did catch a few chubs down by the foot bridge in the parking area as well.

[Image: image.png]

[Image: IMG-5014.jpg]

jack of all tackle, master of none