Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Another Berry report 6/23
Met up with a couple buddies one that wanted to try out his new boat and his set up for kokes. I was in my boat and we tag teamed around a bit . Started about 8 am I had my limit of 4 by about 9 and I lost 4 or 5 and I had two doubles In that short period of time, it was good action this morning for sure. I left a couple slabs swimming on long line release!! The big ones are a handful and lots of fun! I only caught 2 cutts and one 15 inch rainbow. The buddies couldn’t keep the cutts off. I had them tweak their set up and gear a bit and change a couple things thrhh th were doing. They ended up with 8 and figured they caught 30 cutts and a rainbow.
I think I know why they got so many cutts and I didn’t so will check it out next trip!
Fun day! Messed up on the pics not sure how to cut them out.. oh well.

[Image: mildogkokes.jpg]
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
Great fish and nice report... Thanks J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Excellent.  Have you got Bella trained on setting the riggers yet?
(06-24-2021, 01:29 AM)Mildog Wrote: Met up with a couple buddies one that wanted to try out his new boat and his set up for kokes. I was in my boat and we tag teamed around a bit . Started about 8 am I had my limit of 4 by about 9 and I lost 4 or 5 and I had two doubles In that short period of time, it was good action this morning for sure. I left a couple slabs swimming on long line release!! The big ones are a handful and lots of fun! I only caught 2 cutts and one 15 inch rainbow. The buddies couldn’t keep the cutts off. I had them tweak their set up and gear a bit and change a couple things they were doing. They ended up with 8 and figured they caught 30 cutts and a rainbow.
I think I know why they got so many cutts and I didn’t so will check it out next trip!
Fun day! Messed up on the pics not sure how to cut them out.. oh well.

Great report and pic, I fixed your pic for you. Do you mind sharing what you think they were doing wrong and what you had them change, to increase their koke catching?
Here’s my thoughts on what they did wrong. Fish seemed to agree. Once I had them switch things up they did better on kokes got less cutts.
They were using leaders twice as long as they should have, about 18” I had them shorten to 9”, I’m
Not saying you can’t catch fish with a longer leader, but action on the squid is less on the longer length leader. I think cutts like/can catch it easier and kokes seem to prefer more “action”. Also they were not maintaining speed well and were trolling a bit slow at times, again seemed like cutts liked that more and kokes liked it less.
Final thing they roamed randomly instead of staying in the “zone.”
When j is had them change things up their success increased.

(06-24-2021, 03:35 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Excellent.  Have you got Bella trained on setting the riggers yet?

She can’t set them
Yet but she does a good job of tending them LOL

[Image: A31689-A8-F770-42-F8-8-ED9-E029-FD96818-B.jpg]
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
That makes perfect sense, it is all in details on how to be successful when fishing.