Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Lincoln bait run
I needed some wb for tomorrow so made an early run to the launch at Lincoln. A couple of boats had already gone out but there was still some wb activity as they were slurping emerging midges near the end of the ramp. I used a small Panther Martin spinner and started picking them up right away. They were kinda smallish in size, maybe 3-5 inchers. Too big and too early to be this years young, to little to be last years young?? Just the right size for some good catfish bait.

I drove around to Mulberry just to see if I might pick up a few larger wb there. There was a big family group there having a good time on a good day and catching a few cats. Right friendly folks and it turned out that we had many common ties. I hunted moose in Alaska with their father, one of them worked with my son, another went to school with a nephew, and most of them knew others in my extended family. They also knew my brother, the one that had his snow plow truck pushed off the Spanish Fork canyon road a couple of years ago. Small world. I enjoyed talking to them.

The channel water level continues to drop -- I thought the water level might be up 6 inches or so after the brief rain we had yesterday. Confused Looks like it is probably a bit on the short side of 3 feet deep. Gonna be a tough launch for bigger boats in another week or so.

Anyhow, all ready for a serious cat attack tomorrow.
BLK
[Image: IMG-0616.png]
[Image: IMG-0617.png]
Your not dropping off the end of the ramp yet?
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
(06-25-2021, 06:03 PM)MSM1970 Wrote: Your not dropping off the end of the ramp yet?

Will tell you tomorrow. It is getting close and things can get ugly fast if trailer drops off the end and the spring shackles hit the cement on pull out. I did that a couple of times two years ago. Had to unhook trailer, have sweet wife fetch my 4x4 to Lincoln so I could drag the trailer to the side where I could load the boat on and then use a chain and 4x4 to drag trailer and boat out to where I could re-attach to truck. Ain't no fun. I'll switch to kayak before I do that again.
I remember when mine dropped out of sight, scared me to see the fenders disappear that fast, luckily it didnt hang up, it popped up just as fast.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
I am lucky, I have torsion springs, no leaf springs, so I just ease on the gas and the trailer and boat roll right up.  

Had a spot in WA State where that was the only way to launch a boat during the summer.  That drop off was not a foot or two, it was 20.  Made sure the truck breaks were in TOP CONDITION. Undecided
No trouble launching today. Water in the channel is between 2.5 and almost 3 feet deep. Good fishing today... 3 or 4 at about 27 inches, several others in the mid-20s.

Tough day in my little Spring Lake community with the drowning of the young man yesterday. The lake is only a block or so from my home and it Saddens all of us that a young man lost his life there. I grew up in that lake and that is where I learned to enjoy fishing. Sad. 

BLK
So SadCry   Seems like someone  (or multiple someones) is lost in UL every year.  Keeps me VERY wary of what I'm doing and t he weather when I'm down there.  
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
One of the kids must have gone out with you this morning or you forgot it was Saturday.

Were there any of the party boats launching? Our last trip, there was a boat launched from a three axle trailer. I didn't stay long enough to find out if he made it out the channel.

Vi and I will most likely go out Monday.

Don't know where to start, any ideas? Maybe where we left off last trip.

rj
(06-26-2021, 08:57 PM)r2u2 Wrote: One of the kids must have gone out with you this morning or you forgot it was Saturday.

Were there any of the party boats launching? Our last trip, there was a boat launched from a three axle trailer. I didn't stay long enough to find out if he made it out the channel.

Vi and I will most likely go out Monday.

Don't know where to start, any ideas? Maybe where we left off last trip.

rj

Nope, no kids with today. They are all involved in life to the fullest. I've got 'em all hooked so they will eventually come to their senses.

I came in today at about 10:00 or so so I missed all of the power squads. I passed several of them on my way home so I guess they are still launching. won't last too much longer.

Most of the cat boats I saw today headed for the island. Jim was there with a crew and they headed west toward the "island". I still have visions of my June 11th trip when the cats were biting faster than I could bait hooks. I caught at least 30 fish that day only to return the next day and almost got skunked. Fickle fish. Anyway, I worked that same area in front of the springs and had good luck. Nothing tape worthy but fun tugs. I think your best bet is to fish the areas that have been good to you in the past. 

If I remember right, Vi still has you beat on the contest page. Wink  You might want to put a little more effort into your fishing to boost your score a bit. Big Grin

Hope you do well Monday... and stay safe.

Lynn