Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Deer Creek Slam 6-25-21
I gotta be a terminal masochist.  Fishing Deer Creek on Friday...the new Saturday?  I wanted to hit it yesterday but Mama Nature was pitching a hissy fit...with wind and lightning...so I delayed a day. 

Got there at 6 am and was on the water by 6:30.  Coulda stood in bed.  A cool 48 degree breeze was dang near uncomfy cold and the fish didn't start waking up until after 8.  Water temp was 68...warming to 70 by noon departure.  Lots of clouds.  The sun didn't start breaking through much until about 11...and that's when the noise got louder too...from the power squadron.

Once the fish woke up they kept me busy.  I was dragging whirly fligs and crawlers...fire tiger on one rod and chartreuse perch on the other.  Got lots of votes for both.  Only problem was that most of the votes were from the non-walleye contingent.  Got about a dozen small smallies and 8 or 10 perch.  Plus a lot of bites from that ilk that just shredded the crawlers meant for walleyes.  I also caught a cantankerous bullhead...and "removed it from the system".  Oh yeah, and I also had on a chunky 8" green sunfish that pulled off as I was lifting it aboard for a photo.

I did end up catching 5 walleyes.  Three were "footlongs" and were released for next year.  A couple were keepable "teen-inchers" and got a ride in my basket.

Even before the power squadron hit the water I had a lot of company on the flats.  Musta been almost 20 boats bottom bouncing for the same fish I was.  But I didn't see much action amongst the others.  Saw one guy pull in a couple of perch but that was about it.  I'm sure there was other catching going on, but I couldn't watch all of them all of the time. Plus...the pesky smallettes and perch kept me busy rebaiting.

Thanks for the story and the pics, Pat.

It looks like it was a comfortable and productive day to be on the water.

If it wasn't so far I'd like to chase some of them warm water fish myself.  Starvation has just kicked my butt this year so I'm not going back there for awhile.

Keep on keeping on. Smile
(06-25-2021, 10:23 PM)gofish435 Wrote: Thanks for the story and the pics, Pat.

It looks like it was a comfortable and productive day to be on the water.

If it wasn't so far I'd like to chase some of them warm water fish myself.  Starvation has just kicked my butt this year so I'm not going back there for awhile.

Keep on keeping on. Smile
Funny...I was thinking today that I should take some of my new trinkets and introduce them to Starvation denizens.  But then I remember how long that drive is...for such dismal results of the past year  or so. 

Sounds like you have been finding a few fish that have not been reduced to wearing hiking boots yet.
(06-25-2021, 09:38 PM)TubeDude Wrote: I gotta be a terminal masochist.  Fishing Deer Creek on Friday...the new Saturday?  I wanted to hit it yesterday but Mama Nature was pitching a hissy fit...with wind and lightning...so I delayed a day. 

Got there at 6 am and was on the water by 6:30.  Coulda stood in bed.  A cool 48 degree breeze was dang near uncomfy cold and the fish didn't start waking up until after 8.  Water temp was 68...warming to 70 by noon departure.  Lots of clouds.  The sun didn't start breaking through much until about 11...and that's when the noise got louder too...from the power squadron.

Once the fish woke up they kept me busy.  I was dragging whirly fligs and crawlers...fire tiger on one rod and chartreuse perch on the other.  Got lots of votes for both.  Only problem was that most of the votes were from the non-walleye contingent.  Got about a dozen small smallies and 8 or 10 perch.  Plus a lot of bites from that ilk that just shredded the crawlers meant for walleyes.  I also caught a cantankerous bullhead...and "removed it from the system".  Oh yeah, and I also had on a chunky 8" green sunfish that pulled off as I was lifting it aboard for a photo.

I did end up catching 5 walleyes.  Three were "footlongs" and were released for next year.  A couple were keepable "teen-inchers" and got a ride in my basket.

Even before the power squadron hit the water I had a lot of company on the flats.  Musta been almost 20 boats bottom bouncing for the same fish I was.  But I didn't see much action amongst the others.  Saw one guy pull in a couple of perch but that was about it.  I'm sure there was other catching going on, but I couldn't watch all of them all of the time. Plus...the pesky smallettes and perch kept me busy rebaiting.
I was out last week on Wednesday morning on DC Marked lots of fish but the only hookups were short lived. Felt walleye like, big head shakes. Had it happen twice. Pop jigging a gulp minnow. The fish picked up the jig during the pause. No actual bite, just weight on the end of the line, another sure indicator of being a walleye. Nice job. I didnt know I was going until a few short hours before so no time to contact you to meet up.
Gabe
(06-25-2021, 11:56 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: I was out last week on Wednesday morning on DC Marked lots of fish but the only hookups were short lived. Felt walleye like, big head shakes. Had it happen twice. Pop jigging a gulp minnow. The fish picked up the jig during the pause. No actual bite, just weight on the end of the line, another sure indicator of being a walleye. Nice job. I didnt know I was going until a few short hours before so no time to contact you to meet up.
Gabe
The "pop jigging" technique usually works well this time of year on Deer Creek.  But the last couple of trips I have made it hasn't produced anything for me...even using some of my custom colored plastics tipped with worm.  Usually a winner both at Deer Creek and Starvy.  Also, I have seen several folks in boats using it but have not seem them get anything.

I think I am done with Deer Creek for a while.  It has been hammered and with rising water temps and lowering water levels the fish will be going deeper and sulking.  I doubt I will even try Starvy until after the first of September.  Water will be even lower but that fall bite is usually better for me than it would be right now.  Stay in touch and we might still "hook up" yet.
Nice report. Slam dunk!
strong work rounding the dc bases
and takin nice pics
youve got that dude tube rigged tight
not much of the greatest snow on earth ™ left on the timps
i was gonna ask about the carps on the flats as i always do
stopped by weekend for last
sure the new rig is only 80 lbs
and i can carry it all in 2 trips
but the charlestown ramps high and dry for longer than i wanted to portage
[Image: SavedImage_0621210619b_(2).jpg?width=192...fit=bounds]
and taking out at island can be a junk show
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
(06-28-2021, 10:45 AM)fishskibum Wrote: strong work rounding the dc bases
and takin nice pics
youve got that dude tube rigged tight
not much of the greatest snow on earth ™ left on the timps
i was gonna ask about the carps on the flats as i always do
stopped by weekend for last
sure the new rig is only 80 lbs
and i can carry it all in 2 trips
but the charlestown ramps high and dry for longer than i wanted to portage
[Image: SavedImage_0621210619b_(2).jpg?width=192...fit=bounds]
and taking out at island can be a junk show
Thanks fer the kindly comments.  I always appreciate your fine posts too. 

Yeah, Charleston is a bit dry for us small craft launchers.  Love it when it's got water.  And you're right.  The Island ramp can be a zoo.  Even launching off the gravel to the side of the ramp can be "interesting" when all the wackos come out to play.

Saw a few carp slurping the surface early...before the power squadron started whipping it to a froth.  A few more leaping through the day.  Probably not the best time to pursue them right now.  After Labor Day...when the lake gets cooler and quieter...there are always lots of carp clumps in the early part of the day.  That's when the lake starts developing  "algae peas" and the carp love them.