Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sturgeon trip 06-24-21
Randy and I made a one-day sturgeon trip on Thursday.  We caught 9 sturgeon (largest 6'8") and also caught 6 of these.

[Image: carp.png]
But, you did catch 9 sturgeon in one day. Well done.
(06-26-2021, 07:08 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Randy and I made a one-day sturgeon trip on Thursday.  We caught 9 sturgeon (largest 6'8") and also caught 6 of these.

Sounds like a fun trip Kent and that carp is a beast but 9, 6 plus ft sturgeon is a great trip in my book, especially for a one day trip. I see you attached the carp pic the attachment method, can you see the pic?
[quote pid="1120698" dateline="1624738527"]
I see you attached the carp pic the attachment method, can you see the pic?
[/quote]

Only if I use my smartphone and first disconnect it from my wifi.

(06-26-2021, 08:15 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Sounds like a fun trip Kent and that carp is a beast...

Yep, that carp weighed 12 pounds.  I fish two different areas, from my boat, for sturgeon.  The one area I have fished for many years and never caught a carp.  The second area we have caught multiple carp almost every trip.  The area we have been catching them is much closer to a dam and I think those carp are used to eating chopped up fish from the turbines.  That is the only explanation I can give why the carp, in that area, actively eat our sturgeon baits.
9 sturgeon is a very good day. My personal record is 2 trips, one bite, no fish.
Have you caught any catfish on your sturgeon rigs?
(06-26-2021, 10:24 PM)thatchergreg Wrote: 9 sturgeon is a very good day. My personal record is 2 trips, one bite, no fish.
Have you caught any catfish on your sturgeon rigs?

Sorry to hear that you haven't caught one.  Yes, we have caught some really nice channel cats; however, even a large channel cat can't put up much of a fight on sturgeon tackle.
That's a good day of fishing. I would take that kind of catching any day.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
was it hot ?, have the sturgeon moved
I would say you had a fun time 
that is the most we have got in one day and there was 3 of us. with 3 doubles.
(06-27-2021, 01:08 AM)liketrolling Wrote: was it hot ?, have the sturgeon moved
I would say you had a fun time 
that is the most we have got in one day and there was 3 of us. with 3 doubles.

It was a little warm in the morning and then the wind picked up and I actually put on a sweater.  I don't know if they have moved or not, we didn't fish where I have fished with you.  PM sent.
I was in Oregon for the sturgeon retention opener a few weeks ago. Ended up with 2 for the boat in the slot and got a side of sturgeon.

It is easily the best fish I have ever eaten. Shockingly good. It's like halibut but moist and an almost sweet taste. The fillets were snow white but the cheeks were red meat!

I like blackfins, yellowfins, albacore, yellowtail snapper, salmon of all kinds, halibut, flounder, even amberjack and spanish mackerel. But if I could choose any fish to eat cooked, it would definitely be sturgeon. It's that good.
It is illegal to even remove sturgeon from the water in Idaho, so I have never had the pleasure of eating sturgeon.
(06-27-2021, 02:44 AM)Downriggerer Wrote: I was in Oregon for the sturgeon retention opener a few weeks ago.  Ended up with 2 for the boat in the slot and got a side of sturgeon.

It is easily the best fish I have ever eaten.  Shockingly good.  It's like halibut but moist and an almost sweet taste.  The fillets were snow white but the cheeks were red meat!

I like blackfins, yellowfins, albacore, yellowtail snapper, salmon of all kinds, halibut, flounder, even amberjack and spanish mackerel.  But if I could choose any fish to eat cooked, it would definitely be sturgeon.  It's that good.
================================================================
Thanks for this, I have people ask me all the time are they good eating, all I can say is Idaho will not let you eat them.
I took my sons friend fishing for Kokanee, (he just wanted to see how I fish) he is like you, he loves fishing in Oregon he bought a house up there.
On the subject of edibility of sturgeon, I can add a personal opinion.  Not much finer...if you properly care for it and know your way around the kitchen.  To begin, sturgeon do not have a bony skeleton.  It is cartilaginous...like sharks and rays...and paddlefish.  You can simply pull the spine out through the flesh if you wanna.  But most sturg fans either fillet the sides off the fish...or cut it into steaks.  Since they have a primitive excretory system (no kidneys) you should ice any you plan to keep and clean them as quickly as possible.  If killed and left too long uncleaned or unchilled the flesh will acquire a mild "ammonia" aura.

As has been mentioned, they have a nice white flesh that is very mild in flavor.  So you can use almost any recipe without having to do exotic soaks or marinades to make it palatable.   Small pieces make great "fish and chips" with a good beer batter.  But it can be baked or grilled too.  And it is great smoked.

I lived in Sacramento for a few years and caught sturgeon both in the SF Bay and up in the Sacramento River.  In those days there were no restrictions but we usually didn't keep any over a self-imposed 6' mark.   Also had some sturgeon experience as a kid in Idaho...up in the Hell's Canyon area.  Plus, have had some outstanding trips on the Columbia just up from Portland Oregon.  20-30 fish days...but mostly small fish.  Still fun though.
Very interesting. If you get a chance, I'd suggest trying sturgeon. It really was amazing. We ate it three nights in a row and the kids were begging for more. Baked, smoked, fried, it was all amazing.

As soon as the fish was landed, we got a hanging rope through its gills and mouth, cut some gills, and let it bleed out in the water. After about 10 minutes, we brought it back into the boat and took the guts out. Sturgeon guts are gross. Then it went to the kill bag and sat on ice for the duration of the day. The advice I got was to give it 24 hours to go through whatever sturgeon rigor is and then eat it. During rigor, the meat is rubbery and chewy, I was told. So getting it past the 24 hour mark was critical.

Lots of the guys up there were making questionable choices in their fish handling. Sturgeon dead but not on ice, using an electric fillet knife for perch to massacre their way through fillets. It was definitely eye opening.