Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
First time dino fishin' 6/26
Ever since I can remember i've dreamed of catching a sturgeon. Something about a prehistoric fish and the largest freshwater fish in North
America caught my attention. 
After several months of research, buying tackle, reels, rods, getting the boat river ready it was finally time. 
left Syracuse about 5:45 and a couple short hours later the river was in our sights. Plenty of people already fishing but hey we're here so lets
get it! Took a good bit to figure out the anchor setup in the swift water but we were fishing by 9:00. We watched several people hook up
which is just about as fun to watch as fishing itself. 11:00 rolled around and I got my first solid strike, zingging drag and off in a matter of seconds. Baited up again and not two minutes later my cousin hooks up and the game was on! Quick 15 minutes later and the first dino was boat side, snapped some video, quick measure then back to the depths it went. 57" sweet!! another 30 minutes or so and I hook up, almost exact same procedure as the last and almost the same size too, 61" first dino! We then spent a few hours gooding around with small mouth catch them on almost every cast. Decided hey lets try for a couple more sturgeon before we head home. Got anchored up and Whack! cousin hooks up with a good one. almost a 50 minute battle later we had it boat side. 82" of pure muscle! another 30 minutes pass and I catch our last one of the day and insane 89" fish. What a rush! Sturgeon fishing is something every angler needs to experience. 

A lot of folks say its best to hire a guide to cut the cost of everything that goes into but dang it sure cuts out a whole lotta experience a long the way. 

[Image: IMG-5106.png]

[Image: IMG-5108.png]
Nice way to spend the day. Your research paid off.
Congratulations! Those are some great fish.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
That was a fun report to read - gets me itching to explore some more species/areas
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
That's great to visit the prehistoric grounds and catch something from the past. Another past time beast I've caught only in the 15" range the Alligator Gar. These are abundant in many waters throughout the southern US. These give a fight you won't forget. 

[Image: Alligator-Gar.jpg]  
[Image: Alligator-Gar1.jpg]  
[Image: Alligator-Gar2.jpg]

[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Congrats on the sturgeon, but more congrats on putting in the work to DIY sturgeon.  I really respect that.
(06-29-2021, 01:36 PM)Bduck Wrote: That's great to visit the prehistoric grounds and catch something from the past. Another past time beast I've caught only in the 15" range the Alligator Gar. These are abundant in many waters throughout the southern US. These give a fight you won't forget. 

[Image: Alligator-Gar.jpg]  
[Image: Alligator-Gar1.jpg]  
[Image: Alligator-Gar2.jpg]

Oh trust me, gar is one that is definitely on the bucket list!

(06-29-2021, 04:35 PM)Downriggerer Wrote: Congrats on the sturgeon, but more congrats on putting in the work to DIY sturgeon.  I really respect that.

Thanks! I really appreciate. Fishing is what I live for and fortunately I married the perfect gal that lets me still chase after my fishing dreams!