Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Willard 6/30 Bakers Dozen
Made it back to the north marina this morning and was fishing from the kayak by 7AM.  No wind to speak of and the water clarity was a little better since Monday.  Power squad ran me off by 11. Bakers dozen of catfish dragging a Santee Rigs with chicken on one rod and a sucker tipped flig on the other. Both baits worked well. It wasn't really fast fishing but the catch was consistently about a fish every 15 or 20 minutes.  Couple doubles that were successfully landed.  Fished from 13 FOW into 4 FOW. Fish seemed to be scattered and water depth didn't matter.  All 13 kissed on the lips and sent back for another day.
(06-30-2021, 06:25 PM)FatBiker Wrote: Made it back to the north marina this morning and was fishing from the kayak by 7AM.  No wind to speak of and the water clarity was a little better since Monday.  Power squad ran me off by 11. Bakers dozen of catfish dragging a Santee Rigs with chicken on one rod and a sucker tipped flig on the other. Both baits worked well. It wasn't really fast fishing but the catch was consistently about a fish every 15 or 20 minutes.  Couple doubles that were successfully landed.  Fished from 13 FOW into 4 FOW. Fish seemed to be scattered and water depth didn't matter.  All 13 kissed on the lips and sent back for another day.

Glad you got some more tugs.  But the kissing thing?  Kinda kinky.  Hope there was no "tonsil hockey" involved.
Nice report.
Glad to see you are keeping the whisker fish exercised and humbled.
(06-30-2021, 06:25 PM)FatBiker Wrote: Made it back to the north marina this morning and was fishing from the kayak by 7AM.  No wind to speak of and the water clarity was a little better since Monday.  Power squad ran me off by 11. Bakers dozen of catfish dragging a Santee Rigs with chicken on one rod and a sucker tipped flig on the other. Both baits worked well. It wasn't really fast fishing but the catch was consistently about a fish every 15 or 20 minutes.  Couple doubles that were successfully landed.  Fished from 13 FOW into 4 FOW. Fish seemed to be scattered and water depth didn't matter.  All 13 kissed on the lips and sent back for another day.

You may have been coming in this morning as we came into the North Marina to get ahead of the power squadron as I noticed a kayak coming in from the north side of the entrance as we came in from the South in my black over tan tournament 202 Crestliner just before 11. We caught 3 walleye and 4 cats trolling flicker shad and one bottom bouncer, all the fish were released, we were just testing the waters for next week when I have relatives coming in from Virginia for a visit and some fishing.
I did see you come in. Didn't take long for you to load up and head home.
(07-01-2021, 12:25 AM)FatBiker Wrote: I did see you come in. Didn't take long for you to load up and head home.

I try to get out of there as fast as I can, usually pull over in the shade of some trees and put stuff away in the boat and put the cover on. It makes it worse since we only basically had half a ramp to use this year.
I didn't realize the water was that low already. Maybe next year. Glad you had a good morning. We haven't been on the water for better than a week. I just don't trust the wind. We drove out Monday or Tuesday, it was not looking too good but thought we would give it a go anyway but by the time we got down the ramp it had intensified so we came back home.

rj
(07-01-2021, 01:45 PM)r2u2 Wrote: I didn't realize the water was that low already. Maybe next year. 

rj

Richard, Packfan is talking about the North marina, all ramps are open at the South marina. When they poured the left and right sections of the ramp at the North marina years ago, there was still water in the ramp area, so those sections of the ramp never went all the way down to the bottom like it does in the center section. That being said there is a lot of congestion at the North marina because of the limited launch area but the South does not have that issue, at least so far, that will change before the Summer is over I'm sure.
(07-01-2021, 09:24 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(07-01-2021, 01:45 PM)r2u2 Wrote: I didn't realize the water was that low already. Maybe next year. 

rj

Richard, Packfan is talking about the North marina, all ramps are open at the South marina. When they poured the left and right sections of the ramp at the North marina years ago, there was still water in the ramp area, so those sections of the ramp never went all the way down to the bottom like it does in the center section. That being said there is a lot of congestion at the North marina because of the limited launch area but the South does not have that issue, at least so far, that will change before the Summer is over I'm sure.

Still my favorite place to launch. Too much of a Mess in the south marina.