Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
This may be crazy but..
Haven't been fishing since ice in February.

Looking to get into some carp from shore somewhere.

Would like to catch them but also looking for a couple with my bow.

Thanks any input.
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
Not sure where you live, so it can be a little hard. The Bird Refuge on the Bear River is a good choice for both shooting and catching. Several places that work well.

Utah Lake near Sandy Beach or near Lincoln Beach are also good options.

If you get the carp massing together, casting a worm on a hook into the school seems to always work. If they are single or double cruising, dough balls or even corn seems to work well.

Now, I hate carp, don't target them, except with the aforementioned bow, so I am not the best source for this.
If you want carp, utah lake has a few or my go to would probably be yuba probably so then I can try for other species while I'm drowning a piece of bread on a hook
Thanks for the input.  Being in North Davis County Utah lake and Yuba are farther than I want to drive.

Never had good luck trying to shoot them on the Bear cause the water is always so murky.  Plus with the regulations I have been reading there is no archery tackle allowed on the refuge.

Years past have made the drive to Benson Marina and shot quite a few carp.

Really just want a couple to start with as Cat bait, hoping to take my Grandson out.

Maybe just take an afternoon/evening drive out towards the refuge and try for carp and cats.  Or maybe the outflow of Willard.

Thanks again.
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
the outflow at willard had worse vis than the bear
last i was there
aint never seen no restrictions on archery gear being used in pursuit of a non game fish being enforced on the refuge
but i dont see many after spawn
i dont need much vis to see em and get em to eat flies be it beached tailing or cruising aint sure ya need much more to send an arrow at em

[Image: SavedImage_0625210815e_(1).jpg?width=192...fit=bounds]
i havent been to the namesakelake nor walked the dyke at willard this summer yet, but im pretty sure theyre still there
plenty of poopers and decent vis on the jordan and i bet ya could git a shot or 2 at decker depending on your skill at range
they were spawning last week
ya could hook one and take a 2 fer one shot as the sexing makes em stupid
[Image: IMG_7795_(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom